• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injection pump failed?

• Owner

Excessive idle time cold. Tar up the valve stems and WHAM! Piston bent the valve. 

Symptom/Condition:

Extended idle operation, especially in cold weather, can lead to stuck valves and bent push-tubes due to insufficient cylinder heat. This allows varnishes/oils to condense on the exhaust valve stems, leading to stuck valves, and damaged valve train components. A new software feature, enabled or disabled through the DRB III (See instructions under Repair Procedure), reduces the chance of valve sticking and improves cab heat warm-up time.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Excessive idle time cold. Tar up the valve stems and WHAM! Piston bent the valve. 

Symptom/Condition:

Extended idle operation, especially in cold weather, can lead to stuck valves and bent push-tubes due to insufficient cylinder heat. This allows varnishes/oils to condense on the exhaust valve stems, leading to stuck valves, and damaged valve train components. A new software feature, enabled or disabled through the DRB III (See instructions under Repair Procedure), reduces the chance of valve sticking and improves cab heat warm-up time.

I think Mike hit the nail on the head I always warn up my truck in winter and sometimes I would use high idle other times I would no.  Hearing that from Mike and knowing from hearing her crank over only one valve is bad so likely just tarred up and tore herself apart.

• Owner
30 minutes ago, WiscoRedkneck said:

I always warn up my truck in winter

I try to start and roll as quickly as possible. Warm up is actually bad to leave them to sit and idle excessively in the cold. Cold air intake makes this worse too. Then there is the grid heaters attempting to keep the air warm and adding ton of electrical load on the alternator which is a great way to fry the diodes. 

@WiscoRedkneck @Mopar1973Man here is a video of my truck this morning.

https://youtu.be/xpLHGUi5cv8

No throttle (dead pedal), no power, and white smoke. The RPMS just stop, even with the go pedal matted. I have a stored code of P0216. Eventually after a few minutes it will clear up and run right, but it happens more than I would like. I am assuming with these symptoms my injection pump will eventually die all together. I have no CELs, but maybe your VP44 gave up the ghost with no warning.