• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injector Advice for a 99

Okay, I hate to start a new thread because I know some where there is already an answer for what I'm going to ask. I have reached to point of trying to drive the 1999 Dodge Ram Cummins Quad Cab SLT Laramie 5 speed. I simply can't find a safe way to operate the clutch while wearing leg braces. I hate to see it go because of the amount of work and money that's been put into it already. I haven't been able to walk for the past 5 or 6 weeks because of the rotten bone spur at my Achilles Tendon. I want to be honest about selling it but something I noticed that my brother pointed out was a slight knocking sound when he brought it back to me in August of 2017. He thought it was the rear-end but I think it's injectors. It always had a little black haze with the Blue Chip Special X VP44 that was installed I guess in 2013. Now It blows a trail of smoke when putting your foot in it through all the gears except 5th. The engine is loud, like valve lash but it was all adjusted out about 2 years ago and from the time I bought it in 2013 it had 155,000 miles on it and is now showing 207,354. The original owner towed a bumper hitch with it across country, it's a 53 block but no cracks at anytime. The injectors are original but the fuel system was shot when I bought it since it went 250 miles before leaving me on the side of the road. VP44 was shot and the lift pump was shot. So I'm asking if the towing could have caused the injectors to wear down a little faster? The owner did keep all the maintenance up with dealerships as he traveled and so my brother. I didn't put that many miles on it so I only had a couple of fluid changes. I have a set of 50 hp injectors made by Dynamite Diesel, they were 75 hp but they retuned them to 50 hp, BAR is 291 and LPM 41. I don't mind getting them put in, I had planned on selling them on eBay but probably would never come close to getting my funds back, $800.00 Plus. Any advice is appreciated, thanks

I wouldn't worry about injectors.  If you do anything buy a set of stockers for it.  

The DDP injectors will smoke worse than what you have now because they use the wrong spray angle.  

I would sell it as is.  It's an old truck if the buyer walks because of that then whatever.  

The black smoke is likely a boost leak, or maybe worn injectors, but no towing wont wear injectors faster.

Edited by Me78569

A bit off the truck here, but I know about the pain of heal spurs with what I went thru. At the time the doc told there wer 2 options. One, try anti inflammatories and strecting exercises and the other was surgically remove them. Looking at the xrays it was pretty apparent that I would layed for quite while which the doc confitmed since he would have to cut the achilles tendon off the bone. The anti inflammatories and excercise worked for me, thank goodness. One other thing I looked into was a way to sonically to remove them. It was a practice being used in the NE at the time. No surgical procedure. Maybe thats another route to look at. I stopped looking into it after the first way was working. 

Hate to see you have to sell, but I do know that heel spurs are probably the worst pain I have ever dealt with. At least when I tore the tendon, the pain went away in 6 to 8 weeks, still a bit tender after that but nothing like the spurs. I remember getting up in the RV in the mornings and that 2 step walk to toilet was almost more than I could bare.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I wouldn't worry about injectors.  If you do anything buy a set of stockers for it.  

The DDP injectors will smoke worse than what you have now because they use the wrong spray angle.  

I would sell it as is.  It's an old truck if the buyer walks because of that then whatever.  

The black smoke is likely a boost leak, or maybe worn injectors, but no towing wont wear injectors faster.

That's why I'm asking and what you are saying about smoke with DDP is absolutely correct, My biggest worry was putting them in and looking like a freight train with a for sale sign on it. Performance is still really good but way more smoke than normal through the gears. I'll be lucky to get half of what I paid for the DDPs or maybe less but it's better than letting it sit in a closet. I'll see if I can find a boost leak. Thank you for the reply

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I agree if you going to do injectors put in either stock or RV275's at the most. Cheapest bet and for sure. Now as for just selling you could knock 300 off the price if they whine about smoke issues. 

I think what you all are saying is what I need to do. Somebody who know diesels might say something about the smoke but it still runs extremely strong. Would DAP be the best place to look at stock injectors? I'd rather knock some off the price and let the new owner deal with it but regardless if I buy or reduce the price it would be great for me. Thanks Mike I sincerely hope you are healing well, your in our prayers.

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You could do the other idea... Convert to an automatic transmission then you get to keep your truck. 

I considered doing that but need to think it through. I did find a shop across the bay that is very reliable, I might go when I can and talk with them.

17 minutes ago, dripley said:

A bit off the truck here, but I know about the pain of heal spurs with what I went thru. At the time the doc told there wer 2 options. One, try anti inflammatories and strecting exercises and the other was surgically remove them. Looking at the xrays it was pretty apparent that I would layed for quite while which the doc confitmed since he would have to cut the achilles tendon off the bone. The anti inflammatories and excercise worked for me, thank goodness. One other thing I looked into was a way to sonically to remove them. It was a practice being used in the NE at the time. No surgical procedure. Maybe thats another route to look at. I stopped looking into it after the first way was working. 

Hate to see you have to sell, but I do know that heel spurs are probably the worst pain I have ever dealt with. At least when I tore the tendon, the pain went away in 6 to 8 weeks, still a bit tender after that but nothing like the spurs. I remember getting up in the RV in the mornings and that 2 step walk to toilet was almost more than I could bare.

I hate to say it but I had a melt down recently, maybe more shock than a melt down. Before the bone spur flared up I had a 2nd neck fusion, it has really been one surgery that helped me with the horrific pain I deal with daily. I'm 67 and it all came into focus, I'm never going to be what I was, too much damage with nerves and muscles from a failed surgery 14 years ago. My feet don't work right, my legs are gone, my arms look like I'm 80 and my strength left a long time ago. Started lifting a 3 pound medicine ball, could only muster 5 times over my head, after 3 weeks I'm up to 20. No pity party, it is what it is and I have begun to look at it based on reality and what's possible for me to achieve. Started a steroid pack for the spur and see the doctor again in 4 weeks to get an MRI but I'm hoping and praying I'll be able to get my brace back on and get past this. The pain as you stated is beyond what you would imagine. I'm going to get an engine lift that folds up to help me lift items I need moved around in my garage, doesn't matter if 30 pounds is my lifting limit as long as I can work the handle on the lift or what ever I'm using a tool. I'm adjusting how I do things and maybe it's about time I did because I'm spinning my wheels thinking a gym or weight machine will be a make over for me. It will all work out in good time according to what God has planned for me. You can't go down the right path if you don't listen to directions and what's being spoken to you. It was a hard pill to swallow but living in the past thinking you will be something that you're not is simply put a waste of time. Get with the program and let it work for you. Thanks for all the great advice

24 minutes ago, Greenlee said:

I think what you all are saying is what I need to do. Somebody who know diesels might say something about the smoke but it still runs extremely strong. Would DAP be the best place to look at stock injectors? I'd rather knock some off the price and let the new owner deal with it but regardless if I buy or reduce the price it would be great for me. Thanks Mike I sincerely hope you are healing well, your in our prayers.

I considered doing that but need to think it through. I did find a shop across the bay that is very reliable, I might go when I can and talk with them.

I hate to say it but I had a melt down recently, maybe more shock than a melt down. Before the bone spur flared up I had a 2nd neck fusion, it has really been one surgery that helped me with the horrific pain I deal with daily. I'm 67 and it all came into focus, I'm never going to be what I was, too much damage with nerves and muscles from a failed surgery 14 years ago. My feet don't work right, my legs are gone, my arms look like I'm 80 and my strength left a long time ago. Started lifting a 3 pound medicine ball, could only muster 5 times over my head, after 3 weeks I'm up to 20. No pity party, it is what it is and I have begun to look at it based on reality and what's possible for me to achieve. Started a steroid pack for the spur and see the doctor again in 4 weeks to get an MRI but I'm hoping and praying I'll be able to get my brace back on and get past this. The pain as you stated is beyond what you would imagine. I'm going to get an engine lift that folds up to help me lift items I need moved around in my garage, doesn't matter if 30 pounds is my lifting limit as long as I can work the handle on the lift or what ever I'm using a tool. I'm adjusting how I do things and maybe it's about time I did because I'm spinning my wheels thinking a gym or weight machine will be a make over for me. It will all work out in good time according to what God has planned for me. You can't go down the right path if you don't listen to directions and what's being spoken to you. It was a hard pill to swallow but living in the past thinking you will be something that you're not is simply put a waste of time. Get with the program and let it work for you. Thanks for all the great advice

I turned 66 2 months ago and its pretty apparent I aint 50 no more. But while I have dealt with heal spurs and other old age crap, I am by far in a better physical place than you are. I admire your attitude. Hard to seem the good amongst all that adversity.

I built a CFA in Mobile about 4 years ago. Seems my timing is bit off to help.