• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front Brakes

From what I understand, most clutch surfaces are not designed to hold high load in the reverse direction. Doing so can cause slippage and wear. The same would likely apply to automatics and manuals. Maybe it's just not bad enough to worry about?

Edited by kzimmer
Spelling

I think if e brakes were tearing things up and wearing things out prematurely we all would have heard about it long ago and there would not much of market for them. If I am not mistaken Dodge sold and maybe installed @Mopar1973Man his when the truck was new. Not sure but he has had his a very lomg time.

Autommatics do require extra effort to use one. They have to be locked up to use it I believe.

I would think that using exhaust brakes wouldn't really apply any more force or wear than downshifting with a manual.  Probably less since you are not adding wear on the syncros to make the shift.  The comment I made was something an old timer told me when I first started driving dump trucks 15 years ago. 

2 hours ago, dripley said:

Well that tells me that Dodge was not scared of them, at least for the first 100k anyway.

True but dodge is in the market to sell parts and services especially at 120000 miles.......Most of us have at least  2 or 3 in front of the OD now.  I might keep an eye out for one but a $1000 buys a lot of brake pads.  Plus I really want a Quad first.......As always good conversation and info.  

Edited by Rotax3006
Spelling

50 minutes ago, Rotax3006 said:

I would think that using exhaust brakes wouldn't really apply any more force or wear than downshifting with a manual.  Probably less since you are not adding wear on the syncros to make the shift.  The comment I made was something an old timer told me when I first started driving dump trucks 15 years ago. 

True but dodge is in the market to sell parts and services especially at 120000 miles.......Most of us have at least  2 or 3 in front of the OD now.  I might keep an eye out for one but a $1000 buys a lot of brake pads.  Plus I really want a Quad first.......As always good conversation and info.  

I bought mine for the extra braking while towing. But once I started using it I never turned off. It was just as benificial while DD'ing. Even if I had it on from mile number one the saved money on brake pads would not have paid for half of it at 467k. The brake savings was a minor factor in my purchase.

I agree with you on the discussion. These are welcome.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rotax3006 said:

I might keep an eye out for one but a $1000 buys a lot of brake pads.

Actually, the most important benefit of an exhaust brake hasn't been mentioned - it is its ability to use the engine to hold back a heavy load on a long steep downgrade without the use of service brakes, or at least with very minimal use of the service brakes.  If an emergency stop is required half way down the grade, you will have cool, fully functioning service brakes available that have not been overheated from controlling vehicle speed while going down the grade.  To me, that alone is worth the 1000 or so dollars - the saving of wear and tear on pads and rotors is just a bonus.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

Actually, the most important benefit of an exhaust brake hasn't been mentioned - it is its ability to use the engine to hold back a heavy load on a long steep downgrade without the use of service brakes, or at least with very minimal use of the service brakes.  If an emergency stop is required half way down the grade, you will have cool, fully functioning service brakes available that have not been overheated from controlling vehicle speed while going down the grade.  To me, that alone is worth the 1000 or so dollars - the saving of wear and tear on pads and rotors is just a bonus.

- John

That is the reason why I have one, I go down some severe mountain roads with my 5th wheel. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tractorman said:

- John

I ddi mention I bought mine for towing, just assumed everyone would know that it is best used for down hill and not up hill.:tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dripley said:

I ddi mention I bought mine for towing, just assumed everyone would know that it is best used for down hill and not up hill.:tongue:

You could use it going uphill if you need to stop really quick!!! :cool: I know the benefits of the E brake when towing.  I don't tow much (just a 2 place sled trailer) with the 5 speed I just grab 4th at the top and no worries.  If I pulled heavy loads I would definitely consider one as brake fade is scary stuff.  Lots of you guys are saying you  like them for daily driving which is probably pretty sweet but without towing much I personally cant justify the cost of one.  I think the new trucks come with these from the factory.

• Owner

Exhaust brake are excellent brakes even for city driving and empty truck usage. I don't touch my service brakes but barely that at speeds below 20 MPH

7 minutes ago, Rotax3006 said:

I think the new trucks come with these from the factory.

They are OK but not as good as a true exhaust brake.

• 2 weeks later...

Well got the Amazon brake rotors and pads on this past weekend.  I ordered a set from a company called Detroit Axle, they are drilled and slotted and came with ceramic pads all for $99.  They fit perfectly and seemed to be of comparable quality to the last ones I used(Napa).  Definitely stops better so I guess time will tell how they hold up.  Thanks Guys.

• Like 1

• Owner
19 hours ago, Rotax3006 said:

Definitely stops better so I guess time will tell how they hold up.  Thanks Guys.

I'm curious.

I'm also curious how quick the pads eat the rotors which ceramics pads tend to be harder than the rotors from the information I've gotten from others. 

For what it's worth company I used to work for had 04 5.9 with a pac brake, empty it seemed to work well.

But running at 32k you dam sure better drive like you have no brakes on the pedal or engine. It was manual tran.

Most dont run around that heavy and I dont recomend it though we do sometimes.

I dont lnow if the pac brake doesnt work very good or had an improper installation. I do know an engine brake is not on my list of wants. I do get plenty of years out of my pads and rotors. Though I dont normally run the cheap pads.

Just did all rotors and pads so it should be good to go for 8-10 years. I do tow light and on mtn rds I'll run 4low coming down. 

Mopar man.

I'm running some carbon fiber wiches brew pads. Lol.

I'll let you know in 8-10 if the word out rotors. 

Edited by Evan

The e brakes work much at rpm especially with a load on. I can mine at 23k with the 5th wheel on down a 6% grade in 4th and barely use the service brakes. I am turning about 2400 rpm during this descent. 

How many miles do drive in those 8 to 10 years?   @Evan

Edited by dripley

• Owner
2 hours ago, Evan said:

Mopar man.

I'm running some carbon fiber wiches brew pads. Lol.

No the economy pads from RockAuto. I think I pad like $39 bucks for them many years ago. I only replaced my rear rotors because the parking brake top hat was grooved too bad. The trick I drive like the center pedal is missing. I rarely use that pedal at all. All transmission and exhaust brake. Still got factory OE rotors in front yet.

Even on my 1996 Dodge V8 gasser its auto transmission and a throttle plate. (No exhaust brake here)

I drive with a safe stopping distance and allow the road to dictate the speed at which I travel. There is no sense in racing to a corner, slam on the brakes to accelerate again. Slow down a touch so you coasting to a corner then lightly make up your speed. This because a balancing point.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Exactly.

I've done one set of rotors all the way around. In 15 years. Rotors are cheap price wise and probly quality. Easy to change. If I do another set in 5 years it wont hurt my feelings much kinda a maintenance part. 

I did have fronts turned one time but not sure it's worth turning when rotors can be had for cheap

1 hour ago, Evan said:

Exactly.

I've done one set of rotors all the way around. In 15 years. Rotors are cheap price wise and probly quality. Easy to change. If I do another set in 5 years it wont hurt my feelings much kinda a maintenance part. 

I did have fronts turned one time but not sure it's worth turning when rotors can be had for cheap

I wish my truck had the floating rotor style front brakes... :kick: