Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Rotax3006 said:

I would think that using exhaust brakes wouldn't really apply any more force or wear than downshifting with a manual.  Probably less since you are not adding wear on the syncros to make the shift.  The comment I made was something an old timer told me when I first started driving dump trucks 15 years ago. 

 

True but dodge is in the market to sell parts and services especially at 120000 miles.......Most of us have at least  2 or 3 in front of the OD now.  I might keep an eye out for one but a $1000 buys a lot of brake pads.  Plus I really want a Quad first.......As always good conversation and info.  

 

 

I bought mine for the extra braking while towing. But once I started using it I never turned off. It was just as benificial while DD'ing. Even if I had it on from mile number one the saved money on brake pads would not have paid for half of it at 467k. The brake savings was a minor factor in my purchase.

 

I agree with you on the discussion. These are welcome.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Rotax3006 said:

I might keep an eye out for one but a $1000 buys a lot of brake pads.

 

Actually, the most important benefit of an exhaust brake hasn't been mentioned - it is its ability to use the engine to hold back a heavy load on a long steep downgrade without the use of service brakes, or at least with very minimal use of the service brakes.  If an emergency stop is required half way down the grade, you will have cool, fully functioning service brakes available that have not been overheated from controlling vehicle speed while going down the grade.  To me, that alone is worth the 1000 or so dollars - the saving of wear and tear on pads and rotors is just a bonus.

 

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

 

Actually, the most important benefit of an exhaust brake hasn't been mentioned - it is its ability to use the engine to hold back a heavy load on a long steep downgrade without the use of service brakes, or at least with very minimal use of the service brakes.  If an emergency stop is required half way down the grade, you will have cool, fully functioning service brakes available that have not been overheated from controlling vehicle speed while going down the grade.  To me, that alone is worth the 1000 or so dollars - the saving of wear and tear on pads and rotors is just a bonus.

 

- John

That is the reason why I have one, I go down some severe mountain roads with my 5th wheel. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tractorman said:

 

Actually, the most important benefit of an exhaust brake hasn't been mentioned - it is its ability to use the engine to hold back a heavy load on a long steep downgrade without the use of service brakes, or at least with very minimal use of the service brakes.  If an emergency stop is required half way down the grade, you will have cool, fully functioning service brakes available that have not been overheated from controlling vehicle speed while going down the grade.  To me, that alone is worth the 1000 or so dollars - the saving of wear and tear on pads and rotors is just a bonus.

 

- John

I ddi mention I bought mine for towing, just assumed everyone would know that it is best used for down hill and not up hill.:tongue:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dripley said:

I ddi mention I bought mine for towing, just assumed everyone would know that it is best used for down hill and not up hill.:tongue:

You could use it going uphill if you need to stop really quick!!! :cool: I know the benefits of the E brake when towing.  I don't tow much (just a 2 place sled trailer) with the 5 speed I just grab 4th at the top and no worries.  If I pulled heavy loads I would definitely consider one as brake fade is scary stuff.  Lots of you guys are saying you  like them for daily driving which is probably pretty sweet but without towing much I personally cant justify the cost of one.  I think the new trucks come with these from the factory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exhaust brake are excellent brakes even for city driving and empty truck usage. I don't touch my service brakes but barely that at speeds below 20 MPH

7 minutes ago, Rotax3006 said:

I think the new trucks come with these from the factory.

 

They are OK but not as good as a true exhaust brake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...