• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Towing...Your Experience Is Appreciated 98.5 24V 2500

It will definitely help going up the hill but coming down is a different story. Even with my 6 speed I dont get alot engine braking with a load on the truck. My 5th wheel weighs 15k and it will push right thru motor on a 6% grade. I always tried to tackled them at 30 mph because of that, pre exhaust that is.

25 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

If I have 3.55:1 rear end, and first gear is 2.45:1 is my final ratio 6:1 when in first gear?

If I had 4.10 gears, and retained the same tranny, in  first at 2.45:1, is my new final drive ratio 6.55:1?

I think you added your ratios; you need to multiply.

2.45 x 3.55 = 8.70

2.45 x 4.10 = 10.05

My personal preference for safely towing in hills is with a manual transmission and an exhaust brake.  The manual six speed gives you the best performance.   You will have a gear for every kind of hill (up or down) and you will always be operating the engine in an RPM range that will be do the job efficiently.

One option for you is to sell your truck and buy a truck with a manual transmission and install an exhaust brake.  This would be a very effective way to solve your issues with your truck.

The other option is to continue to put money into your existing truck by beefing up the transmission and torque converter and installing larger brakes.  You can only hope that whoever builds the transmission for you can lock up the torque converter in every forward gear with controls that are simple to operate.  In the end you still have only four gears to operate the truck and you will never optimize the performance capability of the Cummins engine for going up and down hills.

- John

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

The manual six speed gives you the best performance. 

Not really. The top two gears are the same. Is just there is an extra gear in the bottom. Just consider the thought my current setup (NV4500 and 245's) I'm in 4th gear at 25 MPH

NV4500 - 5th gear - 0.75

NV6500 - 6th gear - 0.73

NV4500 - 4th gear - Direct

NV5600 - 5th gear - Direct

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I have to add this, the 6 speed is really good with load I pull. I gross 23k and hsppy I have it. A good rebuild is going to suck but still dont think I would trade it. They extra is nice to have when you want it.

Now just a bit of topic, when I did have a 5 speed I was always going for 6th gear on the interstae. I even still go for 7th gear in my 6 speed occasionally. Any body else have this disease or is it only found in chickens?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Not really. The top two gears are the same. Is just there is an extra gear in the bottom. Just consider the thought my current setup (NV4500 and 245's) I'm in 4th gear at 25 MPH

NV4500 - 5th gear - 0.75

NV6500 - 6th gear - 0.73

NV4500 - 4th gear - Direct

NV5600 - 5th gear - Direct

Sure the top two gears are the same - so is first gear.  But, sometimes there are conditions such as @keithb7's 3.5 mile, 30 mph hill that makes having three gears (instead of two) to work with between first gear and the 1:1 gear a real benefit whether going up or down that hill with varying loads.  Sort of like the benefit you mentioned about improving the final drive ratio when you went from 265 tires to 245 tires.

So, I still think the six speed transmission is the best choice for towing - just my opinion.  Personally, I wish there was at least an eight speed manual transmission that would just drop right in.  And yes, @dripley, I also occasionally go for 7th gear.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Like 4

• Staff
12 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

Sure the top two gears are the same - so is first gear.  But, sometimes there are conditions such as @keithb7's 3.5 mile, 30 mph hill that makes having three gears (instead of two) to work with between first gear and the 1:1 gear a real benefit whether going up or down that hill with varying loads.  Sort of like the benefit you mentioned about improving the final drive ratio when you went from 265 tires to 245 tires.

So, I still think the six speed transmission is the best choice for towing - just my opinion.  Personally, I wish there was at least an eight speed manual transmission that would just drop right in.  And yes, @dripley, I also occasionally go for 7th gear.

- John

Having driven both, it’s not a fair comparison between the two.. the 6 speed is in a different league for low-mid range towing speeds. The extra gear is very noticeable, especially with the fairly small rpm band of a diesel. 

I always wanted a 7 speed in my 05. I rarely had gear spacing issues in the 2-4 range, but often 5th was too low and 6th was too tall. 

A double OD 7 speed would fix that with a .85 6th and .68 7th. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 2

I see.  Not only was I not sure where to put it at,  I wasn't sure if toggle switch would let elec "bleed over" and produce inaccurate temps.   

My first in the very beginning...thought was to use probe of that pana Pacific temp gauge. But temps are to high for pana Pacific imo, but not 100% sure.  

• Owner
10 hours ago, 015point9 said:

I wasn't sure if toggle switch would let elec "bleed over" and produce inaccurate temps.   

No. It's safe I've already talked to Michael Pliska at ISSPro. A toggle switch is fine to use.

10 hours ago, 015point9 said:

But temps are to high for pana Pacific imo, but not 100% sure.  

Yes way too high. Transmission and differential temperatures can run pretty high. Like my gauge is 100 to 280 transmission temp gauge.

I towed my 1938 Plymouth car over 450 or so miles of hiway at various grades over the weekend. I towed an 1800 lb trailer loaded up with a 2800 lb car as well as as additional 400 pound engine block. 

I was very impressed. The auto tranny was just fine on normal roads and hi-ways. I switched off the OD when climbing hills. Braked and geared down on descents.  No issues with brake heat due to excessive breaking. 

The only issue seems to be the darn steep winding hill near my house. It’s cooking my breaks. It is too winding and steep to lay off the brakes,  and descend safely. 

Otherwise the auto tranny and the 24V 5.9 are certainly adequate for my needs.  Dang. 

Edited by keithb7