• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Towing...Your Experience Is Appreciated 98.5 24V 2500

• Owner
11 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

Haven't seen him or JAG1 on here lately.

Those two are out running around the highways traveling from place to place. 

12 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

As many postings on here about tuners...I cant figure out my blue tooth on my phone

Not much to figure out. Turn on Bluetooth. Turn on the device you are going to pair with. Now, wait till the phone report that it has a paired device. Now anytime that device is one the phone will pair up with that device automatically. That how an Android smartphone will work.

As for iOS phones, I know they will transmit data on Bluetooth hence why the WiFi head for Quadzilla.

• Thanks 1

I am still running the RV's with the comp and while not big power house it does the job. You wont be sorry with the EZ and RV's unless the power bites you. I have to admit, knowing what I know today, that I would have bought the Quad instead had it been available when buying the Comp. 

13 hours ago, dripley said:

I have to admit, knowing what I know today, that I would have bought the Quad instead had it been available when buying the Comp. 

I got my quad when I first got the truck simply for more hp claims and no hot unlock you had to pay extra for. It worked good but had few issues in surging department and at that time was a canned tuner for the most part. You still had some adjustments, but nothing like now. It became what it should of been from beginning after @Me78569 worked his magic. More than on one occasion wanted to sell the quad and get an edge for Simplicity and something that worked, for whatever reason I stuck with the quad, I'm very glad I did now, can't see me having this truck without it.

Edit 

@Me78569 would quad work with 4bt, not even sure if they make vp44 for 4 bt, I should know but I don't.

Edited by Dieselfuture
More info

My first was a Banks Ottomind back in 05. It came with an exhaust system, gauges and what not. 75 hp, tapped the pump and no adjustments. Simplicity I was for that. It crapped the bed and I went with Comp. Still simple. The Quad appears a bit complicated, but reading what I have here has helped me understand it better. I still think for me it will be a challenge. But now if I win raffle........

• Staff
18 hours ago, 015point9 said:

Haven't seen him or JAG1 on here lately. 

18 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Those two are out running around the highways traveling from place to place. 

@JAG1 , @IBMOBILE-JEN  and I left JAG1 house over a week ago and are now camping at Mono Village in the Bridgeport, CA area with a bunch of other guys that are regular campers with us.  

I've been towing for thousands of miles with the RV 275 injectors, Edge EZ set on the second of three levels, and the waste gate actuator set to open at 30 PSI with no smoke and lots of power for pulling the 8,000 lb 5th wheel.    

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

@JAG1 , @IBMOBILE-JEN  and I left JAG1 house over a week ago and are now camping at Mono Village in the Bridgeport, CA area with a bunch of other guys that are regular campers with us.  

I've been towing for thousands of miles with the RV 275 injectors, Edge EZ set on the second of three levels, and the waste gate actuator set to open at 30 PSI with no smoke and lots of power for pulling the 8,000 lb 5th wheel.    

Are you running on a stock transmission?

3 hours ago, IBMobile said:

I too will be at Mono Village later this year for a month. and I tow a loaded 5th wheel  about 12,000 lbs. RV275, edge ez, waste gate elbow and HX35w turbo, and AirDog lift pump. pull good enough for most everything, took it across country and the Sierras every year. also have a DTT built transmission. Always can ask for more but it does the job. 4.10:1 gears and 35 in tires. That is where I stand.

• Staff
13 hours ago, gipperkid said:

Are you running on a stock transmission?

I had it rebuilt about 50k ago without any major upgrades. 

9 hours ago, Ed ke6bnl said:

I too will be at Mono Village later this year for a month.

We come up here twice a year.  Ten days around the second week in May and ten days at the beginning of October. 

@015point9 ,Thanks for thinking about a good pie shop for us.  JAG1 one said he thinks he knows about the pie shop on the west side of Crater Lake but we had come down rt 97 on the east side.  

47 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

I had it rebuilt about 50k ago without any major upgrades. 

We come up here twice a year.  Ten days around the second week in May and ten days at the beginning of October. 

@015point9 ,Thanks for thinking about a good pie shop for us.  JAG1 one said he thinks he knows about the pie shop on the west side of Crater Lake but we had come down rt 97 on the east  

Did you see my PM?  Need info when we make it your way.

Late summer best for fresh berries anyways

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

After the initial tow test with the trailer, I was also not happy with the brake performance. I pulled the rear drums to find them at the end of spec. I had an "oil-misted" wheel cylinder. The front pads and rotors seemed ok. I proceeded to replace rear cylinders, shoes, all springs and hardware. New drums and 2 new rear brake lines. After setting everything up, seemed good. Certainly I feel safer now.

This darn aggressive long hill I must deal with, now has me concerned about front brakes. They are getting quite hot. The trailer brakes are working very well. I can lock them up. New tires on the trailer. I go down the hill in first gear, auto tranny. I brake as little as possible however need to maintain a comfortable speed. The powertrain offers little to hold back the speed on the descent. I don't ride the brakes, and additionally I manually hit the brake controller to put a little more to the trailer brakes when braking. Also keep in mind, the trailer is not loaded up yet. The trailer is well within spec of the truck's capacity.

The previous owner did the rotors and pads about 2800 miles ago. I have no idea what quality rotors or pads were used. 

What are my options here? I am not feeling comfortable about this hill every time I leave home with the trailer in tow. Shall I consider premium HD long life brakes? Drilled and slotted rotors? High performance brake pads? Will this help dissipate some heat? Maybe the rotors on there now are economy cheap crap. I don't know. The heat is going to kill them. Does anyone offer an exhaust brake for my 98.5 24V? A feasible solution? 

Do 1T trucks have larger brakes? I assume so. Wondering, maybe I should have went 1T. What about if I pull over at the top of the hill and engage 4WD low range? Likely this will hold me back, however at what expense to the drive box gears and bearings? Stress them to destruction eventually? Ideas, tips are welcome.

You cant beat zn exhaust brake for hills. But you will need some tranny for the auto. The TC needs to be locked while using it. Exactly what you need I would to defer to the more knowledgeable on the subject.

3 hours ago, keithb7 said:

This darn aggressive long hill I must deal with, now has me concerned about front brakes. They are getting quite hot. The trailer brakes are working very well. I can lock them up. New tires on the trailer. I go down the hill in first gear, auto tranny.

@keithb7, you posted, "I live up a mountain. The road home is pretty steep. It's a slower 2 lane winding road. Speed limit  30 mph. It's about 3.5 miles from the start, to my driveway. I gain about 1100 feet elevation over the 3.5 mile climb home.  Average road grade over the 3.5 miles is 10%.".

I could be wrong, but my math shows that your average grade is 6%, which is still steep and would be of concern. 

In my opinion, your 4 speed automatic transmission is the root of all your complaints.  Even if you beef up the transmission and make it lock up in all four gears, install bigger brakes, and equip your truck with a exhaust brake, the transmission still only has four gears - of which one gear is an overdrive.  Not only that, first gear and second gear ratios are 2.45:1 and 1.45:1 respectively - not much holding back power. 

Below are gear ratios of most Dodge Cummins transmissions.  You will see that the 5 speed manual and 6 speed manual transmission are much more suitable for towing.  The 6 speed manual transmission has four underdrive gears with more suitable gear ratios compared to only two underdrive gears in the automatic transmission.

1454111141_TransmissionRatiosforCumminsPoweredEngines.JPG.c30b5d7044f4ff1ae131ba62f32e9053.JPG

Also, I don't think you posted your differential ratio or tire size which can impact performance.  For example, a 3:55 differential ratio with larger than stock tires will negatively influence towing uphill and downhill.

- John

• Like 3

• Owner
33 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

Also, I don't think you posted your differential ratio or tire size which can impact performance.  For example, a 3:55 differential ratio with larger than stock tires will negatively influence towing uphill and downhill.

VERY IMPORTANT! :iagree:

Exhaust brakes... the brand that Mopar man posted I would stick with that brand,  when we were traveling around the u.s. very few places even heard of a BD brand that I have ... and you might want to have your transmission set up so your exhaust brake will work in 2nd gear, being it's an automatic.  

Just stuff to think about. And of course all that stuff takes money.  

John you make some real valid points. The tranny gearing is likely suspect. I have the 47RE. First ratio is 2.45:1

Like you said, hardly ideal. Rear end diff ratio I am not 100% sure.  I'll get under there and see diff tag. My tires are stock. Engine is stock.

• Owner
2 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

I'll get under there and see diff tag. My tires are stock. Engine is stock.

If you have 3.55 gears...

Now for towing if you want a killer setup, drop the stock 265/75 R16 tires and switch out for the 245/75/ R16 you'll find you have way more torque and cooler EGT's. Then the exhaust brake works even better with the 245's vs the 265's. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

If I have 3.55:1 rear end, and first gear is 2.45:1 is my final ratio 6:1 when in first gear?

If I had 4.10 gears, and retained the same tranny, in  first at 2.45:1, is my new final drive ratio 6.55:1?

Hmm. I wonder how much effect that may have on the hill, both up and down?

Edited by keithb7