• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
keithb7

Towing...Your Experience Is Appreciated 98.5 24V 2500

My 98.5 does have the rear load sensing valve. I will consider unhooking it and strapping the lever in the uppermost position. 

My trailer brakes are in great shape. I took them apart. Inspected cleaned and adjusted. They are nice and tight. I can lock the trailer brakes up using my electronic brake controller. 

I chose a hitch with anti-sway bars    It too doubles as a weight distribution type hitch. Upon installation I did not tweak it to max transfer more weight to the front axle. The tongue weight is still nicely loading up the rear suspension.  I chose the anti-sway type hitch to minimize the sail-like effect of trailer walls at hi-way speeds. 

I was driving a 2017 F-250 today. It has a digital inclinometer. I can’t vouch how accurate it is. It reads in degrees. I drove up my problem-hill today. Average reading was around 6 -7 degrees. However some spots registered 8 degrees. Converting degrees to % slope, that converts to 11% - 12% average. Up to 13% slope at a couple points. 

No wonder my rotors warped pretty much immediately after a trial run down. Second run down I manually worked the trailer brakes to have them do more of the work, sooner. 

I can’t take it any slower going down. Gravity wants to pull you at a fixed rate. As mentioned: in first, auto tranny...not gonna do it. 

I just ordered a set of heavy duty commerial tow grade rotors and pads. New up-rated calipers too. I’ll replace all and also the wheel bearings. All are cooked anyway. 

Barring this, the next step I am prepared to take is obtaining a lighter trailer. There’s no accounting for the decision to alllow this goat trail to be built, and passed as a drivable road. 

This is where a good exhaust brake comes in super handy. Flip the switch and let off the throttle and let the exhaust brake slow you down. I've got several grades out here in the 16% to 18% category for sure. Always nice to roll down a grade and never touch the brake pedal. 

12 hours ago, keithb7 said:

My 98.5 does have the rear load sensing valve. I will consider unhooking it and strapping the lever in the uppermost position. 

When I unhooked mine I noticed a considerable difference in stoping power, more so in daily driving. But really can’t feel much in towing but al least I know they are working