• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Had a little time yesterday at work yesterday

Had a slack day yesterday at work, nothing broke down for once so got on here and read some posts, what struck me and sticks out like a sore thumb is how unreliable these trucks can be on electrics.... post after post of dead vp's, dead ecu's, dead pcm's, bad connections, bad this and that..... Million mile engine bolted to a chocolate auto trans that just might run ok through the first year, I then got to thinking what it would mean to me here in the uk to just suffer 10% of the faults posted, I came to the conclusion that although I've been a diesel mechanic for 41 yrs now and have picked up a few things along the way I'd be struggling.

I get diesel through work so that offsets a lot of $$$ but I hope to rod up in 2 years (RETIRE) free diesel will end so this truck will be sold I think, I will be looking for a 40's/50's hot rod job rated Dodge that can be fixed with a roll of tape and a bag of zip ties ? that will sit nice next to the WLA Harley I fancy 

• Like 2

That, or you have 2 years to get all your gremlins evicted out of the truck. I couldn't imagine keeping up with one of these trucks in a different country with limited parts, so hats off to you for even trying. I personally don't care for automatic transmissions unless they have warranty, or been completely gone through with all the upgaded parts. Rest of the truck is not that bad to deal with, definitely time consuming but that's with any other project too. Really wants you figure these trucks out they're not that bad to work on or deal with. If you like tinkering, it will keep you busy rest of your life that's for sure. 

I've been looking for a midsize SUV with all mechanical diesel. Something like 4bt with a 5-speed behind it in a Toyota Land Cruiser or something alike. Doesn't really have to be Cummins 4bt they're just easier to find parts for around here. Could be another 4banger diesel from other countries. If i go cummins rout it will robably be with a ve injection pump for better economy, easier to find too. It will still sound cool and get 25-30 mpg  depending on rest of the vehicle. Will have plenty of torque for trail riding, just a bit heavy though. Lots of ideas in my head and no time to do it. I'll keep sticking money in what I have for now. 

Ether way good luck with your decision. 

I like you intend to "rod up" in couple years. Part of my compensation includes all my fuel too, going to miss that one myself. I have always thought the million mile thing gets misconstrued. I think it's  more geared to the person 50k to 100k a year and not the 10k to15k and a year driver. I am approching 470k and 17.5 years of ownership. Never in my wildest dreams back in 01 did I think I would still be driving it today. I have had issues for sure, bad ecm, trany, one VP I paid for, fuel system, and just replaced the head gasket. Still surpised at other OE items that are still on the truck. My biggest nemesis is electrical gremlins, my very weak spot. All in all I have more than gotten my moneys worth out of it and don't think I will partmwith it. Parts are much easier for us to get our hands on over here so I feel your pain. That is big factor.

If I can get past the electrical part I can handle the mechanical part. I intend to have my son take me on last ride in this truck. But when talking to him about it he told me it better be running good or he was going to call ahead and tell them to dig a bigger hole. Feel the love.

Good luck to you and find what you want to tinker with. Think Imammsticking with this one.

Edited by dripley

It is harder here and as you say mechanical is the easy bit as most of that can be planned for to at least keep breakdowns to an absolute minimum not so with electrics. Luckily I have breakdown recovery included with insurance but if I had a 5th wheel trailer on that breakdown deal wouldn't be worth nothing no one would recover it ?.  Another thing to consider is its only 21 so its got another 19yrs before it's mot and tax free, by that time I'll be parked in a similar hole also

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

That, or you have 2 years to get all your gremlins evicted out of the truck. I couldn't imagine keeping up with one of these trucks in a different country with limited parts, so hats off to you for even trying. I personally don't care for automatic transmissions unless they have warranty, or been completely gone through with all the upgaded parts. Rest of the truck is not that bad to deal with, definitely time consuming but that's with any other project too. Really wants you figure these trucks out they're not that bad to work on or deal with. If you like tinkering, it will keep you busy rest of your life that's for sure. 

I've been looking for a midsize SUV with all mechanical diesel. Something like 4bt with a 5-speed behind it in a Toyota Land Cruiser or something alike. Doesn't really have to be Cummins 4bt they're just easier to find parts for around here. Could be another 4banger diesel from other countries. If i go cummins rout it will robably be with a ve injection pump for better economy, easier to find too. It will still sound cool and get 25-30 mpg  depending on rest of the vehicle. Will have plenty of torque for trail riding, just a bit heavy though. Lots of ideas in my head and no time to do it. I'll keep sticking money in what I have for now. 

Ether way good luck with your decision. 

Is a toyota that same headache there for parts, pretty easy here.  I have lots of ideas also and no spare time ☺  there's a 68 double cab w200 for sale here with a 12v but its £15 k  ouch  

I'll keep the 24v at least till the free fuel ends though,might be worth a bit more by then 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wil440 said:

It is harder here and as you say mechanical is the easy bit as most of that can be planned for to at least keep breakdowns to an absolute minimum not so with electrics. Luckily I have breakdown recovery included with insurance but if I had a 5th wheel trailer on that breakdown deal wouldn't be worth nothing no one would recover it ?.  Another thing to consider is its only 21 so its got another 19yrs before it's mot and tax free, by that time I'll be parked in a similar hole also

I think here in North Carolina my truck will be considered an antique at 25 yeats old and I can get an antique license tag for it. I think registration fees are waived and insurance is cheaper, but I believe there is a mileage limit you can drive it then with the antique tag.

44 minutes ago, dripley said:

I think here in North Carolina my truck will be considered an antique at 25 yeats old and I can get an antique license tag for it. I think registration fees are waived and insurance is cheaper, but I believe there is a mileage limit you can drive it then with the antique tag.

Here we get free road tax and no mot once vehicle is 40yrs old but I can see that stopping seeing as everyone is being incouraged to go electric and new,they did have  £2k scrappage deal here were you got 2k off a new car for an old car trade in, lots of good classic cars went to the crusher.

I do get classic insurance on the dodge though at £ 230 a year

4 hours ago, wil440 said:

Here we get free road tax and no mot once vehicle is 40yrs old but I can see that stopping seeing as everyone is being incouraged to go electric and new,they did have  £2k scrappage deal here were you got 2k off a new car for an old car trade in, lots of good classic cars went to the crusher.

I do get classic insurance on the dodge though at £ 230 a year

We did the cash for clunkers here in the US. I manage a salvage yard and all the "Clunkers" that were traded in the dealerships sold to salvage yards for dirt cheap. There were a lot of nice cars and trucks that went to waste. One that stands out was an early 90's Toyota truck v6 4x4 with 30k miles. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, gipperkid said:

We did the cash for clunkers here in the US. I manage a salvage yard and all the "Clunkers" that were traded in the dealerships sold to salvage yards for dirt cheap. There were a lot of nice cars and trucks that went to waste. One that stands out was an early 90's Toyota truck v6 4x4 with 30k miles. 

Shame... what wasn't spoken about here was the true cost of producing a new car versus carrying on running an old one.

Salvage yard.... now that would be my ideal job.... I'm after front seatbelts for a 98.5 QC the ones in the seat if you got any LOL ..... sorry but my motto is  don't ask don't get  :fsb:

8 minutes ago, wil440 said:

Shame... what wasn't spoken about here was the true cost of producing a new car versus carrying on running an old one.

Salvage yard.... now that would be my ideal job.... I'm after front seatbelts for a 98.5 QC the ones in the seat if you got any LOL ..... sorry but my motto is  don't ask don't get  :fsb:

Oh I'm sure I have them. Tan, gray, or charcoal?

21 minutes ago, gipperkid said:

Oh I'm sure I have them. Tan, gray, or charcoal?

Gray, on a funny bracket that sits underneath the seat cover at the top, got a solenoid on them, passenger side on my truck has open circuit on the 2 solenoid wires, I could get a picture of the belt and bracket but the solenoid on my pass side has been removed by PO, I am in the UK but would cover any cost to get a passenger side or both

On 5/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, wil440 said:

Gray, on a funny bracket that sits underneath the seat cover at the top, got a solenoid on them, passenger side on my truck has open circuit on the 2 solenoid wires, I could get a picture of the belt and bracket but the solenoid on my pass side has been removed by PO, I am in the UK but would cover any cost to get a passenger side or both

I tracked down a driver and passenger re-tractor, just waiting to get them pulled.

thats great thanks...  they are for a quad cab with the retractors in the seat backs ??

if so let me know how much and how you want to get them to the uk, also how do I pay... paypal is good for me and I'll cover cost of parts, shipping, paypal fees and your time no problem