• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost, trans temp

Hey guys , First of all I’d like to say thanks to the community on here. I never knew this forum existed. I’ve only been on here a couple days and I’ve already had great progress troubleshooting some things that I could never figure out. I’m currently trying to figure out what turbo I have. So I can figure out if it’s most likely an exhaust leak or it’s too big and that’s why I have so much lag. Secondly my trans temp is usually always sitting at around 200F. I’ve heard opinions saying that you never want to be above 200. Is there any truth to that?

This is at idle after a highway drive, truck can get to 40psi but has a hard time getting to 10 quickly

7E545851-EF1C-4007-9AE6-AFA253232229.jpeg

4023D5AB-1916-4CA3-9754-4D946E9412F5.jpeg

9A08AEBD-3149-437C-AE87-7618BAE63B8D.jpeg

200 degrees is not quite redlining yet but constantly running at that temp will shorten the life span of your fluid and consequently your transmission.  Ideally you want to run no more than 175-180 to keep it happy.  I would look at the cleanliness and condition of your transmission cooler and fins...and inspect your fluid and coolant to make sure your heat exchanger isn't leaking and cross contaminating. 

Hard to tell on the turbo but it looks like it could be a super b special which is a 64.5 compressor wheel.  If I'm correct on that then it would spool very similarly to what you described...a bit laggy down low.  Anything over 62 is going to start introducing lag at increasing rates.  

• Like 1