• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Timing issue, VP dying?

Bojon

I've been having an intermittent issue with my truck, runs great but occasionally it will cut out momentarily. Seems like its also when lightly accelerating in second and third gear. I was able to snag the data from my Quadzilla  when it happened to me today. Everything looks normal to me except the timing. If you take a look at the graph the timing will suddenly drop out, down to around 13°, this is when the engine cuts out, and then bounce back to 18-19° and run normally. 

When looking at these graphs am I seeing what is actually happening, or what is being commanded? Other than this little issue that has happened a few times in the last few weeks, the truck has run like a top. I'm concerned this may be a VP issue.

Timing issue.png

Looking at the graph above, the issue occurs around mark 26 and again at 54. 

I put about 280 miles on the truck this weekend, the issue didn't surface, but I did have an issue. After a stop the Quadzilla was showing the boost at 46 PSI while at idle, and I did throw a 0236 code. Truck seemed to run fine, and the issue went away after the next stop. Obviously I need to troubleshoot that code, perhaps replace the MAP sensor, maybe its just a bad connection after installing the Quad. Not sure if this issue could be related.

@Mopar1973Man The data from the Quad doesn't show an anomalies with the APPS. Is the resolution not high enough to show small anomalies? 

• Owner
49 minutes ago, Bojon said:

Looking at the graph above, the issue occurs around mark 26 and again at 54. 

Normal at those points as far as I can see. As the engine load rises it kicks out of the cruise timing and back to performance timing. This gets the turbo spooling. The Light Throttle Load limit is what makes that downward jump which is normal.

51 minutes ago, Bojon said:

The data from the Quad doesn't show an anomalies with the APPS.

I was looking at the 47 to 51 drop out that is a typical APPS failure where it just drops to zero. Unless you picked up your foot on the throttle.

P0236 code is Boost too high too long which is typically either a boost fooler, MAP sensor failure, or wiring issues. (Generally speaking)

no issue that I can see.  Like Moparman said it looks like you are hitting light throttle limit and timing is being pulled to help get things moving.  

If you dont want that behavor then look at your tune settings.

If  your map reads 46 psi at idle then your map is shot.

• Thanks 1

I should have been more clear when I posted that graph, the 47-51 is me pulling up on the throttle to switch from 2nd to 3rd. 

I'll look into getting a new MAP sensor. 

Looking at more data I can see where the timing is being pulled in that scenario. I assumed it was related because it was the only thing I could see changing quickly/erratically when the symptom was present. For the time being I'm going to replace the MAP and continue to monitor. 

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the MAP sensor a while ago. Still having this issue. Driving down the road yesterday it happened, and when it did there was a blue cloud out of the tailpipe. I've seen this issue while accelerating using cruise, so that should rule out the APPS.  The only code I'm throwing is 0236, I dont believe I've driven enough times since replacing the MAP for it to clear. 

• Owner

7 hours ago, Bojon said:

I dont believe I've driven enough times since replacing the MAP for it to clear. 

You need 40 warm up cycles to clear error codes. In a nutshell the coolant has to start below 140*F and then rise above 160*F. That is one warm up cycle. Then cool back down to below 140*F then rise again to above 160*F without tripping the code. It just easier to erase the codes go for a test drive and check after 10 to 15 mile drive if the code returned. 

I can't find any evidence of a leak, not ruling it out tho. 

Fuel pressure seems to be stable,  I'll gather another log or two and scour it for any anomalies. It's pushing about 7 PSI, I know that's not ideal and an upgrade is planned when I have done extra cash.  

• 1 month later...

I now believe that @Mopar1973Man is right, my hard start issue looks like a leak. We moved and now that I'm parking on flat ground the issue is gone. Still trying to chase down exactly where the issue lies. 

However my other issue is worsening. I was trying to gather some data while in my driveway and while throttling up to 1500 RPM's it started missing (best way I can describe it) and blowing blue smoke. I'm kind of at a loss right now. Engine doesn't appear to have excessive blowby, it passes the oil cap test. Maybe it's sucking oil in somewhere,  and that is the cause of the stumble as well. But to be clear, this seems to only happen above idle, and below 1500 RPM

Edited by Bojon

@Me78569 yes the issue is still there. I'm leaning towards some leak. When it happens it's a light load situation,  doesn't happen when getting on it or towing. Once boost comes on it clears. Thinking I'll pull the injectors and see if there is anything obvious

Edited by Bojon

This past weekend I pulled the injectors looking for anything obvious. Everything seemed alright. Now I know what the issue is, and I'm embarrassed I didn't figure it out sooner. 

Turns out the problem is with my Quad. If I set the power level to 0, truck runs beautifully, no stutter, no smoke (I should clarify, no blue smoke). Kicking it into level 1 it seems as though there is a slight stutter while accelerating,  and in level 2 I will get the full blown stutter and cloud of smoke. I can hold speed while it's occurring,  kick into level 0 and it instantly disappears. I've been testing this theory for the last several days, and it seems to be solid. Although I'm not quite sure where to go from here. 

Also,  I've deleted the Iquad app several times, and it still crashes anytime I try to export something. However it still loads all my tunes and preferences when reinstalled, so it seems like it's not fully uninstalling