• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I decided to take out the previous owners fog light wiring and put in new battery’s and terminals, so I snipped the fog wires and they ran to a connector that had more wires out of it with an in line fuse I traced all the wires to the terminals which I thought would be all the light wiring. But there happened to be a think white wire also. I started the truck and my programmer would get power but it said to check connections. So I put the wire on the positive. Nothing changed. So I tried the negative. Nothing. Then I fired it up and the CEL came on. I pulled the codes through the ignition switch 3 times. And got a 1693. The dealer pulled that code a couple days ago and got a tps too high voltage, cluster code, and no bus messages. They said it was through that code. I then connected a snap in scanner and got nothing. Truck idles fine, just kind of worried as I’m no electrician haha. Sorry for the long post but.

TLDR: is there a white wire that goes to the terminal through the firewall that would trigger a CEL? Even though I put the wire on the terminals?

A5697041-9853-4C29-A874-26934DEC3222.jpeg

9F421200-AFFB-4E9C-8760-57BB356A398D.jpeg

87ED97D5-B463-478B-9D70-13676B030068.jpeg

Edited by DodgeRam2002

UPDATE: I drove it and the Rpms go to about 1600 I beleive then fall down and the pedal looses force. Doesn’t sound terrible just like it doesn’t like the rpms that high and lowers them 

Edited by DodgeRam2002

18 minutes ago, dripley said:

I am no electrician either but that is aftermarket and lord knows how its connected or to what. i take it the truck was running good until you cut the wires? 

Yes sir, I was just trying to take out the PO fog light rats nest 

Ended up being the new battery that would cause it to not shut off the electronics, even with the key. I have a vp44 1689 code , checked my relay for the fuel system and it’s warm. Is it possible by some rare coincidence that my vp is fried? Something I did with the wiring? I had no codes prior to trying to take the fog light wiring out . Still starts without any difficulty

Edited by DodgeRam2002

49 minutes ago, dripley said:

What electronics stayed on? Not sure how a battery could cause that.

I would ho back and check everything you messed prior to the issue arising.

Just the cluster stayed on, I’ve retraced my steps but everything is pretty screwed 

• Owner
14 hours ago, DodgeRam2002 said:

Just pulled a 1693, 1689, 0236 and 0238

Edge EZ most likely fired. Time to replace. The boost fooler is burned up. I would remove the Edge EZ and reset the error code and see if the P0236 and P0238 code returns. If not the Edge EZ is shot. 

Then the P1689 double check the Fuel pump relay in the PDC. This is the power supply for the VP44. If this doesn't fix it then you are looking at VP44 replacement. The relay shouldn't get warm or hot if operating properly.

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Edge EZ most likely fired. Time to replace. The boost fooler is burned up. I would remove the Edge EZ and reset the error code and see if the P0236 and P0238 code returns. If not the Edge EZ is shot. 

Then the P1689 double check the Fuel pump relay in the PDC. This is the power supply for the VP44. If this doesn't fix it then you are looking at VP44 replacement. The relay shouldn't get warm or hot if operating properly.

I cracked my injector lines and there’s still fuel going through.

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Edge EZ most likely fired

He has a juice with attitude if that makes a difference.

You could discconect it and see if it helps. Disconnect everything. I still believe ir is something you messed or disturbed while messing with fog lights.

You said you were no electrician so forgive me for asking this but when you started cutting wires, were the negatives disconnected from the batteries (both batteries)?  If not and you cut a live circuit and it happened to touch something it shouldn't have there is no telling what got fried. :doh: 

About the only thing i will do electrically with the batteries connected is replace a light bulb.  Anything else the batteries always get disconnected.  A lot of times fuses will save you if you do something silly, but not always...

Hopefully it is something aftermarket that got toasted and not a VP or ECM or :shrug:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

You said you were no electrician so forgive me for asking this but when you started cutting wires, were the negatives disconnected from the batteries (both batteries)?  If not and you cut a live circuit and it happened to touch something it shouldn't have there is no telling what got fried. :doh: 

About the only thing i will do electrically with the batteries connected is replace a light bulb.  Anything else the batteries always get disconnected.  A lot of times fuses will save you if you do something silly, but not always...

Hopefully it is something aftermarket that got toasted and not a VP or ECM or :shrug:

Yea I’m hoping it just something that got cut that shouldn’t have ?, I don’t see why I would have no tuner power and the electronics not shutting off, and all these codes. 

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Nope. Parts seize up or the PSG burns up and the pump does nothing. Here is the P0216 code. This timing piston seized.

Image result for mopar1973man vp44 timing piston

If it is something electrical on the go,( I do t think it could mechanical) could it be repaired ? There’s some good electrical shops here 

• Owner
2 minutes ago, DodgeRam2002 said:

I don’t see why I would have no tuner power and the electronics not shutting off, and all these codes. 

The P0236 and P0238 codes will produce a lack of tuner power. P0236 or P0238 codes will put the truck into limp mode. 

As for shutting off power here is the power distribution...

Power Distribution wiring map 1999 Dodge Ram

5 minutes ago, DodgeRam2002 said:

If it is something electrical on the go,( I do t think it could mechanical) could it be repaired ? There’s some good electrical shops here 

No. There is nothing you can repair. The problem is the VP44 has to be placed on the Bosch 815 test stand and be bench tested for over 3 hours and the PSG has to be flashed with the new settings before being placed back in service.