• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2000 with a 2002 H.O. swap. Crank Sensor

Hey Everyone! My 2000 3500 has a block with no crank position sensor port behind the starter. I just bought this truck. The previous owner or someone put an external crank tone ring on the front of the balancer with a home made cheezy bracket that holds the crank position sensor bolted to the front oil pan bolts. The truck runs ok but not as good as my other 2000 cummins. I think the crank sensor timing may be off, and it sounds like I have an injector knock. Is there an ECM I can get that eliminates the crank sensor? Someone also told me that I can wire the cam sensor and crank sensor together to fix this. If not should I convert it to the P7100 pump? This is going to be a work truck for the ranch and just need it to be reliable. Thanks!

• Owner

Check the cam for a tone wheel. That sensor is behind the VP44

Check the crank for a tone wheel. Typically the later series has a small block off plate that is held by a single bolt.

Personally, I would avoid the p-pump idea being that's a fixed timing pump. Way more to gain with the VP44. Most all that have done the P-pump conversion taken a hit MPG numbers. Then end up parking the truck and buying a 4th gen. It becomes unreliable. 

• Like 1

Thanks Everyone! I will look to see if there is a port. The previous owner did the swap and I did look at the block behind the starter and didn't notice a port but I will look closer. How do I tell the year of the block? It has no numbers cast into the block where the 53 numbers are usually located. The only cast numbers I found are 2BF on the driver side front of the block above where the 53 usually is. Thanks again!