• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High-Line CTM VTSS or bad ECM

99 auto 4x4 EZ .......

Had a bad ecm , po 1689- 1698 ,after testing wiring , inj pump ....needed to replace ecm

I kept this ecm for future repair and ordered a rebuilt , paid core , wanting to have a backup.

Recently received & installed a rebuilt ecm from ACS , ran good .no apparent issues

I`m doing a 20 year makeover list of things including turbo , exhaust brake , manifold , power steering pump and vac pump

While having the bat disconnected for a few days at a time , and then re connecting it , I have three times had the same thing happened

I go to start it ,key to run, WTS  comes on fine ,cluster illuminates fine , LP  does its short 2 sec blurb , I go to bump the starter to check for LP 25 sec and its not there , crank it and no start ,no codes

The first time it happened I tested  LP  by running it , powering it at the ecm plug - with it disconnected  , runs fine, its a fass w/ relay , tested  run start power to ecm , checked inj pump........ switched to the bad ecm to see ? put the new ecm back , and it was fine again , started ,LP 25 sec ok,

I was not paying attention to locking unlocking drs , and few days had gone  by

Second time after bat disconnect ,worked on things and reconnect, it happened again no 25 sec LP and no start ,same thing , disgusted I locked the truck , with key fob, batts still connected

Go out the next AM with a list of thing to test in my mind ,unlock with fob and its fixed itself , started .

Third time same thing, batts disconnected a few days , finish the new vac pump- power steer pump install , grit my teeth ,connect the batts , no 25 sec LP , no start

After pulling ecm, testing for bat voltage at the no knock on inj pump that can keep it from running and every other thing I could think of I started looking in the FSM at the CTM - central timer module , I`ve had this truck almost since new and have never knew it to have a VTSS- veh theft sec system , but remembered from just doing a heater core and dash mine has 2 plugs ,so its a high line , reading about setting off the VTSS by locking the doors with the hood unlatched to access the batts , un- hooking the batts then using the key to unlock the drs while batts are disconnected then re-hooking the batts and trying to start  the CTM send a no start to the PCM .them presumably to the ECM , if you have VTSS

Same thing happens it says if the batts go dead after VTSS is set  and you key open the drs and try to jump start  , it will go into no start and you have to disarm by locking and unlocking the drs with key or fob , but it says security lamp will flash horn and headlight flash to let you know the truck was tampered with.

I don't have a security lamp in the cluster , and the only time Ive ever had the horn honk and the headlights flash is when Ive hit the panic on the key fob

I put the newer ecm back, reconnected the batts , locked and unlocked the drs with the key fob as the FSM says to disarm the VTSS that I don't think I have and it started, LP runs as it should ????

I tried to recreate the no start by disconnecting batts  w/drs locked , opening them while disconnected and re connecting batts without the disarming lock unlock of the drs but it started anyway

Now I`m left wondering if  I have a glitch in the ecm or a CTM that is partially enabled to no start

In between no start times while batts remain connected the truck seems fine , but I haven't gone far in it , in case the ecm craps out

Question for anyone that does have the full VTSS  , when its in a no start condition do you have WTS and cluster illumination and 2 sec Lp w/key to run , but no 25 sec LP w/ starter bump

Edited by dieseled