• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

Not the turbo... :rolleyes: The engine load and fuel usage that creates the EGT's heat because of excessive drag.

More drag from the wheels and gearing means more fuel used to make it move. More fuel means more EGT's. Reduce the drag and EGT's fall pretty simple.

As the OP posted...

On 5/24/2019 at 3:50 PM, Tymatthew said:

engine load was 28% to 35%.....

I'm down lower at 23% to 25% and 82 MPH which I've reduced the drag. Both 2nd Gen, but tires are much taller on OP tire vs. mine where the gearing now 3.39 to the ground for him vs 3.69 to the ground for me. EGT are a mostly drag in his case then the engine load is high side for holding cruise timing which will make it hotter, this makes the timing retarded and EGT's higher. He's running the same turbo technically as I am and the same injectors. This leaves all that out. What is different? Is final gearing and tire size.

Now I'm comparing Apples to Apples. 

Him: 2nd Gen

Me: 2nd Gen

Him: 150 HP injectors

Me: 150 HP injectors

Him: Hx40 turbo

Me: Hybrid HX35/40 turbo

Him: Quadzilla

Me: Quadzilla

Him: 275 70 R18 3.39:1 final ratio

Me: 245/75 R16 3.69:1 final ratio

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

The gearing didn’t change to create his issue... but you can keep ignoring that and we’ll keep up with legitimate eye rolling.

Ever heard the phrase, can’t see the forest for the trees???

Lets keep making issues where there aren’t any... thou I’m starting to realize that’s the unspoken motto of @Mopar1973Man. Everything doesn't have to be a huge problem....

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

• Owner
6 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Lets keep making issues where there aren’t any... thou I’m starting to realize that’s the unspoken motto of this website.

Really? 

6 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

The gearing didn’t change to create his issue...

So, what's your theory in this? 

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

So, what's your theory in this? 

Already posted.... 

You're too busy telling the OP to regear you’re missing the rest of the thread. These EGT issues are new...

Ever since you swapped to 245’s it’s amazing how many people have gearing issues. It’s like you feel the need to justify those tiny tires to yourself. 

Sure some people have gearing issues, but not as many as you want us to think.  

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

• Owner

No. Wrong.  I realize how the tire does affect load and final ratio.

You have to remember I work and lots and lots of truck driven all kind of truck with lifts and 35" and 37". Yes, it has an impact on EGTs. Now I understand people that do a lift are not going to give up heir larger tires or the lift kit this going to stay. Pure and simple. Now knowing that you create the inefficiency by bringing the final ratio back closer to what the engine was designed for which optimal 3.55 to 3.73 is a good range. 3.39 is too low of a ratio this adds to engine load. 

This is NOT a 4th gen truck, this is NOT a 4th gen transmission, this is NOT a 4th gen axle. 

I'm NOT asking the OP to swap to 245's. I'm asking him to change the axle gear to correct the final ratio to reduce engine load and EGT's. He can keep the tire just correct the final ratio. Very common issue on the 2nd Gen and larger tires. I've got one in McCall I just done a few years ago guy loves his truck now and EGT's are lower and MPG is higher.

37" inch tires with swapped 3.55 to 4.10 gears. Michael West in McCall.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, snow, outdoor and nature

So since tires are going to remain. Gears a typically the solution. But like I said to test this theory only takes swapping tires for a simple test drive. The problem goes away then the tires was the cause was the problem.  Not hard at all.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff
13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. Wrong.  I realize how the tire does affect load and final ratio.

Never said you didn’t, just simply said that it’s not that solution to every problem. 

Its likely not the OP’s problem based on his symptoms and progression of symptoms.... yet you’re trying to make it his problem, and an expensive one at that. 

You need to get past the most recent thing you did to your truck when talking about other problems. You always relate your truck and use to everyone’s problem, and if they aren’t setup just like you they are wrong.... it’s clockwork and if you don’t believe me just go threw some old threads. It’s getting really old reading about how people need to make their truck just like yours. 

A guy asks about 3rd gen brakes, you tell him to get an exhaust brake because your pads have x miles on them.... you didn’t answer any of his questions, just told him to make his truck like yours. 

Guy has recently increased EGT’s... here comes the tiny tires and final gearing from your truck. 

Those are just off the top of my head, pre-coffee ?

Really, look at what people are asking and giving you for information and work with that, not the difference between your truck and theirs. 

You want people to pay for this site then give them meaningful and appropriate advice, and start with the cheap fixes not the expensive ones. 

• Like 1

Something changed when the op messed with the wastegate.  

Egts were lower prior, wastegate was messed with, and now egts are higher.

Do boost leak tests. It sounds like you bumped something.

• Like 1

While I do see the advantage of the 4:10's with the bigger tires. The problem here seems to have really raised its head after the OP messed with his waste gate, though he said waste water :shrug: typo I suppose, to increase his boost. 

@Tymatthew are the egts you are seeing increased under the same circumstances as in just cruising. My truck is capable of 33 psi but only with my foot in it hard, empty that is. My egt's will hit 1200+ pretty quick. It does sound as if something you messed with is the culprit. 

• Like 1

• Owner
On 5/23/2019 at 7:58 PM, Tymatthew said:

running 80 on the interstate I’m getting 1000 with a little wind but not even towing anything

This is what I'm working with CRUISE state on the highway not WOT.

Yeah. This is what I'm talking about. He's not WOT. This is a cruise state were the boost should be low. Using what I've seen out of my truck typically around 5 to 7 PSI at cruise state at highway speed. Being we both have the same setup injectors, turbo and Quadzila. I could understand boost leak more relevant when the OP mentions WOT operation and high EGT's. As I quote its cruise state. This is why I dismiss the turbo/boost issue. Not to meantion he increased the boost. 

The only thing else I could think of the extra load he's running is dumping the cruise timing and dropping out to performance timing on the Quad. If he's too retarded it will get hotter. 

5 minutes ago, dripley said:

y truck is capable of 33 psi but only with my foot in it hard, empty that is. My egt's will hit 1200+ pretty quick. It does sound as if something you messed with is the culprit. 

Like I quoted. It CRUISE state not WOT. Boost should be low anyways.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like I quoted. It CRUISE state not WOT. Boost should be low anyways

Thats why I asked him if both instances were in a cruise state. Just was not clear to me if it was.

• Staff
Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

I would for sure say YES boost leak if it was WOT operation for sure. 

Boost leaks can’t happen at cruise? :think:

This is a NEW issue for the OP

Still changing the symptoms to fit your fix.... this is how issues get created where they don’t exist. 

Look to fix the easy stuff first....

• Owner

I didn't see the boost as an issue being he stated he's reaching 30 PSI after adjustment. You can't gain boost if it's leaking right? So if he adjusted and gained about 10 PSI of boost and if it was leaking the gain wouldn't be there. Right? 

my egt’s were 1050 to 1150 @78mph....engine load was 28% to 35%.....

Engine load is fairly high. That is fuel being added. 

I'm trying to figure out what is adding so much fuel. Being he got huge gain in engine load (fueling). Being boost typically reduces EGT's with more boost right? Back to the fuel side what increasing the engine load?

I was only getting 23lbs on a hx40 with a 4”exhuast....so now I’m getting 30lbs after adjusting...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

My hy35 3.55 gears 47re with 7x09 injectors would run 800ish cruising and peg 1500 towing grades.

Adding quad boost fooler and turn buckling waste has reduced towing egt to 1000-1300 depending on grade head wind and what's being towed. Empty I now see 700-800 cruising at about 6-10psi. No peddling off egts. Running posted speed limit on all grades. Pulling 30-35psi.

I'd be torn on gearing down. I like rpm st 1800 to cruise at 70 I have 35" tires. Smaller tires or taller gears would increase cruise rpm.

Everything is compromise. Maybe 373s. Gearing a dana 80 is a big investment just to buy parts. Changing tires would see the same results.  But doubtful the high temps disappear. 

Today I hopped across a culvert as it was washing out. The tall tires just barely made it. I'm so glad I had them. Honestly everthing just worked.  Turbo spooling instantly stabbing the throttle to keep front in pointed down hill as horse trailers coming around. Very lucky to be here posting a reply.

clawing in the ditch for dear life. I'll always take the ditch over the creek side. Gota stay rubber down

I've had thoughts of dropping to 265s but now I think I'm staying right here. Today truck did amazing in adverse conditions got crystal 2 horses  golden dog and me home safe. Just barely but it did it.

• Like 1

• Owner

Yup... 

I understand when someone mods out a truck with a lift kit and larger tires the chances of asking them to go back is near zero. This where the fun of figuring out other ways of reducing the EGT's and engine load. Being the lift and tires typically stay it a matter of reducing drag. I know better not to ask anyone to change out tires for someone that is lifted it's not happening. Being the fuel creates the heat, boost controls the heat. 

Side note and comparing...

Yesterday a friend invited me to run out to Lost Valley Reservoir for hot dogs and just a fun afternoon. The only time I have seen EGT's above 1,000°F was climbing the grade from the highway at about 30 MPH which all the old muddy dirt road with potholes, ruts, and washboard would allow. But out on the open highway at 65-70 MPH (~2,000 RPMs) I was lucky to see 550-600°F at 2-3 PSI of boost. But I've only got a mere engine load of 15% to 17% on the flats of New Meadows.

I wish I had a picture of the trail down to here it was a rough nasty mess. 

20190527_154404.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Just to see if I can come close or reproduce his issues. So what I did was created a fairly massive boost leak by pulling my wastegate hose and then pulled a bolt out of the manifold. This you can audibly hear blowing air still building 35 to 40 PSI of boost. Very little difference in smoke. EGT's really didn't change at all. Just drove over 50 miles plus climbing the grade from Riggins, ID to home. 

20190529_112624.jpg

20190529_112612.jpg

The results...

Even with climbing a grade from Riggins, ID to home with the cruise set at 70 MPH (don't want a speeding ticket). I can say without a doubt his problem is more gearing than boost being even with a massive boost leak. EGT's are still controlled and nearly unchanged at a cruise state. You can audibly hear the boost air rushing from the two holes. No issues with EGT's.

Capture+_2019-05-29-11-21-36.png

NOTE: -50*F for EGT's and +1 for Speed to be correct.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
2 hours ago, kzimmer said:

Just now, kzimmer said:

What if the waste gate was leaking?

Not sure. But if his wastegate was leaking he would not be able to spool very well if the drive pressure isn't on the turbine but bypassing the turbine. As the OP stated he's making 30 PSI of boost. But the whole problem is at a cruising state 1,100°F at cruise state with 32% engine load. Again boost should be low. Even with my test 5-7 PSI climbing a grade with manifold bolt missing and wastegate hose disconnected. 650°F EGT's with 22% Engine load I'm still short the 10% like him because of gearing differences. 

Ok, bruh.....275 70r 18....forgot I traded rims...4”lift....with a headwind of 15 my egt’s were 1050 to 1150 @78mph....engine load was 28% to 35%.....

Again the big key here is his engine load is much higher. Dumping way more fuel and EGT's are up. 

Under normal conditions. 6% grade (Midvale Grade), ~10 PSI of boost. Now I've got the engine load high enough to meet OP. Which his truck on flat grounds is equal to mine climbing a 6% grade at 65 MPH. Still my EGT's a lower. Capture+_2019-05-28-09-00-17.png

NOTE: -50°F on EGT's and +1 to MPH.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

That's what I'm trying to figure out too. Being I've gone as far as creating a boost leak and documenting all my values. He's got some serious drag issues. What is weird OP and myself are twins for set up but he's creating huge amount EGT's and high engine loads. It most likely not boost related unless there is that much drag like brakes dragging or something. Like I found out from my test boost leak at cruise state has little to do with EGTs. 

All I can think off is mechanical drag. For me to reach his engine load level I've got to be climbing a 6% grade even then I can't make the 1,100°F EGT's. The only way I could come close would be towing my 8,000 pound Jayco RV up a 6% grade then I'd have it pegged at 1,100°F. That what I struggle to see where is the drag coming from.

But I'm pretty sure its not a boost leak issue.

I'm at a loss. :shrug:

Edit: Guessin' now... Plugged air filter? 

Edited by Mopar1973Man