• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Pressure Running High

1 hour ago, leety said:

Looks like it's 44 ft lbs.

I like to measure stuff, just because.

Nothing wrong with that. Did alot of torquing on the head gasket replacement. Just never torqued an oil pan plug. 

• Staff
1 minute ago, leety said:

This just in.

Motor @ normal operating temp getting just south of 30 psi at idol and about 73 psi at about 2k rpms.

Thats in the filter head? 

Seems about right. 

How old was the oil you changed? 

Edited by AH64ID

14 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Pretty sure he asked about the drain plug. 

She asked about the drain plug :-)

Well it seems the display on the dash is reading a high pressure when the engine is at full operating temperature.

When measured with a mechanical gauge the pressure seems high 75+ when cold and fine 30-73 at normal operating temp.  These measurements were taken pre oil change.

I pulled the plug and filter to drain overnight yesterday.

I will measure again after I put the new oil in to see if the pressure is still high when cold.

I don’t have my records with me to see when I changed the oil last, but I think it is about due.

So what should I check next to figure out how to fix the incorrect reading on the gauge on the dash?

• Like 1

• Staff

When I don't have time for an overnight draining and a little overdue, I like to pour an extra quart of oil thru the engine with the drain plug out. Wasteful perhaps, but the cold oil running into the dirty warm oil, you can see pushes more dirt out. I do it every once in awhile.

Rotella 15w40 & on cold start with Autometer gauge at oil filter head I have 38psi idle and 85psi 2000 RPM. Hot idle 30psi idle, 75psi 2000 RPM. Factory dash gauge reads a few pounds lower but seems to mirror movement.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Be aware of the dash gauge its not exactly a accurate gauge. 

Take note this video is really old being I've not used a Edge Comp in a long time.

trippy

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

It is a pressure sensor. Even though its a single wire. 

I realize that but the gauge would receive the signal differently would it not? Ours just closes a switch when pressure is detected then the ECM takes over using rpm and ect for the pressure reading. The early ones actually read the pressure and send that on to the gauge. Just makes me wonder it the early models are wonky like that.

• Like 1