• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Limited Slip Differential Additive - How much per Change?

I use Cat friction modifier and add a bit then run it. I add more if it's still chirping, mine does need a little more but it is 100% better than with none.

Thing to remember is if you're not using recommended additive you won't know how much so be cautious, you can always add but you can't remove

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Staff
On 6/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, IBMobile said:

I grabbed a bottle from O'Reillys and added it to the mix just in case.  Don't remember how many ounces it was but it was small and around $10 for it.

I got to do this to my work rig. rear diff takes about 4.5 qts of oil..... so how much additive? I'm old guy so liters belong up in Canada not down here. :nadkick:

• Staff
  • Staff
39 minutes ago, Evan said:

If I had a limited slip. I think I'd be tempted to fill it full of at4 or tractor transmission fluid. Just to see how it feels 

I'm glad yer not my Doctor, Evan :punish: :burnout:

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm thankful to have a standard open diff in both trucks. No special fluids needed. 80w-90 GL-5 fluid.

It's not hard to add 4 ounces in there and sure is nice being able to pull out the concrete pump when he got stuck :thumb1: They were amazed.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
2 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I'm glad yer not my Doctor, Evan :punish: :burnout:

Maybe you should being he would be the best kind of Doc. Being he's not going to follow the conventional methods. I would rather trying something different than constantly following OEM specs... Thumbs up to you Evan!

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Maybe you should being he would be the best kind of Doc. Being he's not going to follow the conventional methods. I would rather trying something different than constantly following OEM specs... Thumbs up to you Evan!

I know.... I was just meant it to be light hearted not stirring the pot as I'm terrible cook anyway.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Hey, 'Mopar1973Man', While I got your attention..... do you listen for chatter on the tires to road or to the clutches inside the differential if there isn't enough additive?

Thank you

On 6/9/2019 at 5:02 PM, Leaky88 said:

Hi,

I have a DANA 80 with Limited Slip Differential that I’m draining/changing fluid in.

How many oz. of additive do I need for a complete oil change please?

Thanks Leaky

I put 4 ounces in the gear oil like IBMobile said to do. Mine takes 4 and a half qts. Seems to be smooth no chattering, but still need to make some tight turns when I've got time.

Edited by JAG1

I put tractor transmission fluid in everything. That's what's in my entire truck well not the motor or brakes. Not sure what's in the power steering 

It's made for heavy duty wet clutches. Though it may not work in dana at that doesn't have fluid pressure. 

Would be worth a try you could tell right away with truck jacked up. If both tires go forward when you turn one it's working or would at least appear to be with no load. 

I always wanted to convert to hubs and run full Detroit locker in the front and leave the rear 80 open. Great street manners and option to lock one or both front hubs as needed. 

• Like 1