• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lets see your homemade air intake..

i woulnt mind painting mine a cool color to but i got absolutly no time to do it.. what kind of paint you use. must be high heat stuff

I did mine while the truck was done during the VP, injectors, and ps pump install. I think I used high temp paint. I can't remember now. It has held up fine, just some nicks and such from installing other parts after word. I would like to get the red Cummins one with "Cummins" on it instead of "Dodge." And it is red powdercoat!:thumbup2:

• Staff

I know that 3rd gen guys use 2nd gen intake horns for better flow. I went one step further and got a GDP intake horn. Its a very nice piece. What I saw was decreased IAT's, increased throttle response, quicker spool, and about 100-150 rpms quicker to 30psi. EGT's were negligable, but on a 3rd gen the IAT's and Ambient are very close, and a 1* decrease in IAT is only good for a 1.5* decrease in EGT's. So even if you drop IAT's 50* your only going to see a 75* EGT drop, and with my 3rd gen I only dropped about 3-5* of IAT's. I am very happy with my choice, but the 3rd gen is MUCH more restrictive to start with, so I wouldn't expect as high of gains on a 2nd gen.

I know that 3rd gen guys use 2nd gen intake horns for better flow. I went one step further and got a GDP intake horn. Its a very nice piece. What I saw was decreased IAT's, increased throttle response, quicker spool, and about 100-150 rpms quicker to 30psi. EGT's were negligable, but on a 3rd gen the IAT's and Ambient are very close, and a 1* decrease in IAT is only good for a 1.5* decrease in EGT's. So even if you drop IAT's 50* your only going to see a 75* EGT drop, and with my 3rd gen I only dropped about 3-5* of IAT's. I am very happy with my choice, but the 3rd gen is MUCH more restrictive to start with, so I wouldn't expect as high of gains on a 2nd gen.

Yeah the 2nd gens don't gain very much with an intake horn in the power department. Maybe once you cross the 500 hp area it might but not sure. I did it mostly for looks and maybe a little better flow!:thumbup2:

• 2 years later...

I am looking for the article and will link when I find it. It went on to basically say cooler air from intake would not help and or make no difference or neg difference. I am NOT a engineer etc but always thought more (as long as fuel ratio is right) and cooler air was better. I really want to make a cooler air intake. I think I will try it anyways and do my own MGP tests and performance tests.

I am looking for the article and will link when I find it. It went on to basically say cooler air from intake would not help and or make no difference or neg difference. I am NOT a engineer etc but always thought more (as long as fuel ratio is right) and cooler air was better. I really want to make a cooler air intake. I think I will try it anyways and do my own MGP tests and performance tests.

Cooler air is better for power, but not for MPG. The intercooler is there for a reason - it does its job:

• Owner

Optimal IAT temps are 100-140*F roughly. This hits the highest MPG range.

Cold Air Intake -> Turbo -> Intercooler -> Heated Manifold -> Into Cylinder

Cold Air intakes don't do much of anything.

Turbo once the turbo compresses the air it can be as hot as 300-400*F.

Intercooler once the air leave the intercooler its about the same temp as outside again.

Now the air enters a coolant heater manifold and typically makes the air +40*F over outside temps.

Cold Air intakes come from the non-turbo gas engines / racing... where they do work. I like them but they don't work on intercooled turbo diesels. As diesels are compression (heat) fired the intake is actually water jacketed to warm the charge.

• Staff

They do have some benefit, just not huge and a modified OEM intake can do all the aftermarket ones do, and possibly more. When I am pulling a grade an making some boost the IAT's are about 30° hotter than the ambient air. 10-15° of that is just from the heat soak in that corner of the engine bay, and that's with a sealed OEM box and 3" pickup down under the fender. So you can see that IAT's would be considerably higher with an open element, and thus EGT's would be higher. So while it's not a "CAI" a well engineered intake still has an effect on IAT's on a turbo diesel.