• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey guys. So I went to get in my truck this morning for work, and noticed a small wet spot on the ground next to my passenger tire. Thought maybe the powersteering pump fluid made it's way over there since it's currently leaking, but it is coming right from the housing.

How complicated is it to take it apart and replace the seal? Any special tools? Should I replace anything else while I'm at it?

On another note, I've been noticing a slackness in my steering. It's not the wondering steering, it's like I turn my wheels a direction and it almost snaps back a little like there is some sort of play in the steering somewhere. It's not harsh, it just feels loose, I feel it through the steering wheel.

Any input is appreciated. I think it's time to replace the track bar again, but it's not horribly loose either, but its lifetime warranty so might as well.

Thanks

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

The best I can say is the front differential cover has to be removed and drained. Then the both front wheel bearing removed. Then the both axle shafts removed. Then the carrier has to be removed from the axle. Then you can drive the seals out. If I remember correctly the seals are driven out from axle inwards to the differential housing.

Sounds a bit overwhelming.  So both axels have to come out? Even though it's the passenger one that's only leaking? the seal in the housing, so it has to be knocked out from the other side basically? And a long piece of all thread, basically from One end of the truck to reach the seal on the other end? 

Probably just answered my own question, might as well replace both seals then.

You can replace the passengers side without removing the carrier or drivers axle. I did mine a few years ago. If you're doing the drivers side it has to be removed. This is assuming you have a CAD axle and can work through the actuator hole.

• Like 2

Ok. I believe I do have the CAD system. Do our trucks have a vent for the front diff? Is it possibly a clogged vent can cause the seal to start pushing fluid through?

If I did change it through the cad, if I lifted the truck on the passenger side(obviously),  then do I even have to drain the fluid?

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

There is a vent fastened to the frame on the passenger side. Mine will push oil out of it sometimes when I'm parked on a slope leaning that way on a hot day. I have a PDF procedure I'll post if I can find it. I changed the passenger side probably 5 yaers ago. The drivers side is still A OK. No need to change it if it's not leaking IMHO.

Again, NO NEED to pull both axles to do the passenger side on a CAD axle truck. I've had my axles out more than once to replace unit bearings and brake rotors. If you're careful you can do it. You keep forgetting you have an 02 non CAD and OP does not. Two totally different set ups.

• Like 1

Oh.....:doh:. Excuse me, I'm just a little slow. I'll check it out and see if its clogged or not. It's just weird how the seal just started leaking, but it's got to start sometime. I've read of an external seal you can put on the end by the hub to keep dirt and crap out. Anybody reccomend that? Or just put a bit of gasket maker on the end when I button it up?