• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brakes, power steering

58 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

My truck requires yearly ps fluid changes. every October on the dot it starts acting up when it gets cold here.

Mine is the opposite, While sees some colder weather depending on where I am working, it seldom gets changed except for siphoning the reservoir out and adding new fluid. but I seem to be the exception to the rule.

2 hours ago, dripley said:

Mine is the opposite, While sees some colder weather depending on where I am working, it seldom gets changed except for siphoning the reservoir out and adding new fluid. but I seem to be the exception to the rule.

as soon as it drops to 35-40 out it foams and humms through the wheel. like clockwork!

• Staff

Yes, powersteering fluid degrades with use over time but there is no drain and refill interval mentioned in the maintenance guide so the interval is of your choosing.  Power steering fluid is a hydraulic fluid much like transmission fluid and is not hydroscopic.  It is so much like transmission fluid that the 3ed gen RAM uses the type+4 transmission fluid in the powersteering system.  

Note:  There is an interval for changing engine oil, engine coolant, front and rear differential gear oil, automatic transmission fluid,  and transfer case lube, but none for manual transmission or powersteering fluid. 

BMW says (life long) that about the trans fluid in my 335i too, but boy did it change for the better when I did a fluid change on it....  Planned obsolescence my friends..   I was reading about a W124 Mercedes diesel taxi cab the other night that the engine went its first 1,000,000 miles on fluid and filter changes.  

https://allaboutdieselz.blogspot.com/2016/04/34-million-km-mercedes-benz-w124.html

• Staff
6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

30k for power steering fluid, and brake fluid.

30k , or 24 months for brake fluid because it is hydroscopic, is a good interval for these fluids but the Chrysler Corp didn't think to mention this in either the factory service manual or the owners manual. 

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

30k , or 24 months for brake fluid because it is hydroscopic, is a good interval for these fluids but the Chrysler Corp didn't think to mention this in either the factory service manual or the owners manual. 

Thank you, I will set the reminder for 24 months.

23 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

30k for power steering fluid, and brake fluid.

Manual transmission is considered life long fluid. I was changing every 100k miles now with 50 SAE changing at 50k miles. 

What do you use for a flushing fluid for the power steering?

Thanks

Michael

So I pulled the power steering pump with the vacuum pump.  I needed to replace a hydraboost to steering box line anyway and I wanted to get a good cleaning in there.  When reinstalling the pump to hydraboost line felt a little strange going in but seemed to smooth out and tighten down.  Fill it with fluid, wheel back and forth a few times, top off, repeat.  Finally feel like it's time to start it.  Fire it up and it is just spraying fluid out of the reservoir around that fitting (pump to hydraboost).  I ordered a new hose for that run (pump to hydraboost). Will be in late today.  Any wisdom/thoughts to share on this?  

• Owner

Heat is what breaks down the fluid. This why it need to be changed every 30k miles. Remember the power steering gear box hold a bit more than 1 quart empty. 

Plugged up ports in either hydrobooster or steering gear box will create heat from lack of good flow. 

Excessive requirement for hydro-assist will create heat. Excessive pedal pressure, steering on larger tires, holding the steering at full lock, etc.

Hmmm... I guess I'll have to grab my IR temp gun.

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Heat is what breaks down the fluid. This why it need to be changed every 30k miles. Remember the power steering gear box hold a bit more than 1 quart empty. 

Plugged up ports in either hydrobooster or steering gear box will create heat from lack of good flow. 

Excessive requirement for hydro-assist will create heat. Excessive pedal pressure, steering on larger tires, holding the steering at full lock, etc.

Hmmm... I guess I'll have to grab my IR temp gun.

Seems we had a good discussion about this a while back and ir was common for it to be to hot hold. But we never concluded how hot is too hot.