• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

So I just rebuilt my motor got it put back in the truck and everything hooked up. Went to crank it up and it won’t even click the starter. But I am Getting power down to the starter. I also noticed my WTS light isn’t coming on at all. Could they be the same problem? What could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

Power to the starter only means the big wire is hooked up to the battery. Do you have power to the smaller trigger wire for the solenoid when the key is turned to the start position? There are 2 or 3 military style plugs up by the firewall. Are you sure they are all connected right? Sounds to me like the key switch signal is not going through i.e not connected.

The WTS is a funtion of the ECM. It is only on for a couple seconds at key on in this warm a weather. Should be the first light illuminated on the dash.

You can hot wire the solenoid on the starter to check and see if it is a starter issue. I would definitely go back and check your electrical connections just to be sure they are clean and tight. 

Edited by JAG1

Update: got the wait to start light on. Took the starter off my other Cummins And it will crank if you hot wire the starter it will crank but won’t do anything with the key. 

Edited by Dmann

At the starter relay check for power at terminal 30, then for power at terminal 86 with the key in the start position then report back. 

Is this an auto or a stick?

• Like 1

Could be the starter relay in the PDC. Swap the horn relay with it and see if starts, as long as the horn works. They are the same kind of relay. 

I have the same problem in mine. I hate electrical problems. Think I would rather replace the head gasket again as chase them down.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dripley said:

Could be the starter relay in the PDC. Swap the horn relay with it and see if starts, as long as the horn works. They are the same kind of relay. 

I have the same problem in mine. I hate electrical problems. Think I would rather replace the head gasket again as chase them down.

Electrical is a funny animal....Travels at the speed of light yet takes forever to find its understanding. Causing big head pain eventually creeping to other parts of the body. Enough pain for a day, or several days with loads of coffee, even beer can suddenly trigger its understanding and you say to yourself....''Damn, where did that come from?'' :think:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Something isn't powering you're vp, try a hot wire test for vp see if it runs then. You can try to hot wire a starter and if it turns over but doesn't start then vp isn't getting juice be my guess, idk :shrug:

Edited by JAG1

If it all worked before the engine was out and doesn't now you forgot to plug something in.  It's possible but doubtful that relays and fuses just suddenly failed after an engine installation. You said you got the :wts: to come on. How? Which of the many suggestions above have you tried? Makes it easier for us to know if we're on the right track.