• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New to me truck

Been lurking the forum forever but haven't posted much because I can usually find the answer.

Anyways, I just bought a Frankenstein 99 Dodge that's p-pumped, with a G56 transmission. It also has an S363 turbo with 70 hp injectors, and it's leveled on 35x20's. 

Someone has spent a significant amount of time and money upgrading this truck, but it also came with a lot of issues. (I might add that the body and paint on the truck is 9/10, only 1 noticeable dent.)

For instance, the front end is loose as hell, but the truck came with all the parts to do a front end rebuild. The dash is busted all to hell, the AC doesn't work at all, the gauge cluster doesn't function, headliner is sagging, oil leaking from somewhere, and the interior bezels and consoles are tore up.

My question is regarding the gauge cluster, the guy I bought the truck from claimed that the current cluster is a junkyard special that worked about 8 months and then quit on him. I'm curious if some of the upgrades are compatible with the stock cluster or if there is an underlying issue with the truck such as a bad ground somewhere. I guess I'm mainly curious if I purchase a different cluster, with a G56 transmission will the cluster display the proper rpm's and speed? 

On a side note, with 35" tires, can a dealership reprogram the truck for an oversized tire so the speedometer will work correctly? Or would I need to buy something aftermarket like an Edge Insight?

Sorry for the long winded post, thanks in advance.

99, busted dash, sagging headliner, oil leaks....... For a minute there I almost went to look out the window and see if somebody stole my truck :lmao:. I'm pretty sure the dealer can take care of your tire size programming. There was just a thread about it not long ago. There was a TSB about loose instrument clusters floating around. It may be on this sight, not sure. Basically the one plug needs replaced because they get loose. I'm fighting it on mine too. Other than that welcome to the forum!! Sounds like you have a challenge on your hands. There's lots of knowledge here.

• Haha 1

:lmao: This is my 4th 24 valve, and honestly out of all 4 this one is in the best shape. BUT we all know how quickly the little things add up. 

Dash, heater core, evaporator, dash bezel, AC system???, head liner, gauge cluster, seat foam & cover, did I forget anything? Lol

I actually bought an 09 Mega Cab because I thought I wanted the new bells & whistles and the extra room. After 10 months of payments, not including 11k in repairs that my warranty didn't cover, I decided I wanted my old 24 valve back lol. Well, the guy that bought my old truck wouldn't sell it back so I bought this one. But it has many upgrades none of my others had.

Anywho.... Got off subject...

10 minutes ago, DanByrd2 said:

P-pumped, S363 turbo, 70 up injectors, G56 transmission, Airdog 100, leveled on 35x20's

P pump, VP just 2 different ways to run the motor, turbo yes an upgrade, g56 versus a nv 4500 or 5600 is there a big difference there? AD100 a little extra there. 35 X 20' and all the parts to rebuild the front end with because its loose as hades.then the interior seems in pretty rough shape.

Not trying to beat you up it just seems you bought more of project than ready to ride truck. So I am going to go back to my corner now.:sofa:

The only performance up grades I have done to mine is a 4" exhaust, different waste gate, rv 275's, AD II 165, Banks tuner, since failed, then a Comp, still on it. I did put a new set of 16 X 8 wheels to replace the 16 X 8 srock wheels that cracked. Still running the original drive line except for the front u joints, turbo and some other little stuff.

Inside I put a new dash pad and bezel and new to me seats. Rebuilt the HVAC box.  Also need a new headliner and drivers door panel.

So yeah they can all be projects. I do have a spare instrument cluster if need one.

And, by the way there is a screamin chicken in the back seat somewhere.

Edited by dripley
  • Haha 2

Ehh, I'm not sure that the current one is bad, I'm looking for insight on how to diagnose it. Also, I'm curious about the cluster displaying the proper rpm's with a completely different transmission. 

I also forgot to mention the truck was born an automatic. Which may be another factor in everything. I discovered that bit of knowledge when my son tried opening the 2nd set of cup holders (clue #1) and they hit the shifter. 

Part of me want to replace the whole dash so it's a little more "normal" and not so Frankenstein.

• Owner
8 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

I believe if you know someone with a smarty they can program your tire size. Not sure though 

No. They can't. The only way is to set a tune and the calibrate the ABS. Once returned to stock the ABS calibration is lost and returned back to stock again. 

Only if @Chris O. would finish the CCD Network tool we would have a good tool for ABS calibrations. Either that or pay the money for dealer to used a DRBIII tool.