• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Uneducated second gen owner in need of help

mines just thrown in the bed at the moment alongside 5gall engine oil, 5 gall cat coolant, jump leads, and 2 towing hitches, good thing about owning these trucks here is no one steals nowt outta the bed certainly not spare wheels, 8 stud... thats heavy truck stuff here

27 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

After 125 miles from New Meadows, ID to Ontario, OR. Here is my trans temp. Yeah it does help to make it run cooler. Last stretch before entering city limits.

20190622_100508.jpg15612217572682077519193.jpg

what trans is that  ? don't look much like my 47re

• Like 1

• Staff
5 minutes ago, wil440 said:

mines just thrown in the bed at the moment alongside 5gall engine oil, 5 gall cat coolant, jump leads, and 2 towing hitches, good thing about owning these trucks here is no one steals nowt outta the bed certainly not spare wheels, 8 stud... thats heavy truck stuff here

what trans is that  ? don't look much like my 47re

He has a manual 5 spd. trans that got rebuilt last year or the year before.

Edited by JAG1

Just now, JAG1 said:

He has a manual trans that got rebuilt last year or the year before.

temps are going to be different then and a auto is higher by design as the oil is driving the vehicle as thats the connection between crank and trans, on a manual all the oil is for is lube so 125deg means nothing to someone with a auto truck and it doesn't matter what you do if the truck is auto you will never see 125deg trans temp except less than 3 miles from your house

Point I'm making is we are all different, we all want different things, all our trucks need to be different machines, some want 1000hp I say crack on fill your boots, some want somewhere between 1000hp and 215hp stock auto with 4ft tyres and some want 30inch tyres some tow some dont same as crack on and fill your boots... it's mopar it will break whatever you do

If you are going with the 035 50 20's you will be fine. They are only .4" taller than my 265 75 16's and stiil smaller than 285's. Width wise you will put extra strain on the steering.

I would sure find out whats going on with your fuel pressure. The VP will pull its own fuel and run but it is very hard on it. The VP is another $1000 bill.

Edited by dripley

The width of the wheels, plus the back spacing and offset is going to determine whether or not you have any rubbing issues.  I am running a 295/70R17, I was using an original style 3rd gen dodge wheel with no issues.  I put the same tires on a set of 17x9 wheels with more offset and back spacing and suddenly the tires were rubbing my side steps and inner fender liner on one side.  I ended up getting different steps that I like better anyhow and doing a 1.5" leveling kit to clear all the rubbing.  Find the wheels you like and get the BS and offset specs then do some googling.  I recently got a set of wheels and tires for my 67 mustang and spent about a month searching forums and websites to verify the dimensions would work on the car.  The fact that it was an internet order so no trial fitments, made it even more pertinent that I had all my ducks in a row. 

• Thanks 1

• Owner
7 hours ago, JAG1 said:

He has a manual 5 spd. trans that got rebuilt last year or the year before.

NV4500 5 speed. That was rebuilt 4 years ago. I've already 120k miles on that transmission already. Running 50 SAE Transmission fluid GL-4 Synthetic. Reason why it was rebuilt was I broke the main shaft in half. 

Image result for mopar1973man mainshaft

What I'm watching is temperatures in all places on the truck and rise in temperature means something is no longer running efficiently. If I drive too aggressive transmission temperature will rise. Very soon I'll have temp sensor in the rear diff cover. Then have a switch on the transmission temp gauge and be able to check the transmission and the rear diff temperature.  

Also as you make modification and if the mod now make the temperature rise you know your losing energy to heat now. If the modification reduces temperatures on the transmission and driveline then you going in the right direction making it more efficient. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

NV4500 5 speed. That was rebuilt 4 years ago. I've already 120k miles on that transmission already. Running 50 SAE Transmission fluid GL-4 Synthetic. Reason why it was rebuilt was I broke the main shaft in half. 

Image result for mopar1973man mainshaft

What I'm watching is temperatures in all places on the truck and rise in temperature means something is no longer running efficiently. If I drive too aggressive transmission temperature will rise. Very soon I'll have temp sensor in the rear diff cover. Then have a switch on the transmission temp gauge and be able to check the transmission and the rear diff temperature.  

Also as you make modification and if the mod now make the temperature rise you know your losing energy to heat now. If the modification reduces temperatures on the transmission and driveline then you going in the right direction making it more efficient. 

I run 140 to 150 down the road transmission wise

• Owner
13 minutes ago, Silverdodge said:

I run 140 to 150 down the road transmission wise

Yeah I ran about the same coming home. I was hot footing it. Cruise set for 67 to 68 MPH. If someone slowed down I would stomp the loud pedal and go on around. On my way down I was set at 65 MPH and more conservative and not passing as much. 

38 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yeah I ran about the same coming home. I was hot footing it. Cruise set for 67 to 68 MPH. If someone slowed down I would stomp the loud pedal and go on around. On my way down I was set at 65 MPH and more conservative and not passing as much. 

9 time out of 10 I'm running 70 to 75 but I don't deal with mountain travel

12 hours ago, Kane4sythe said:

So it’s a possibility I have no fuel pressure at all? Even though it’s running?

Yea, sometimes it can run rough when it drops to 0, mine did sometimes, but many times you may not physically notice anything wrong with the truck even with the pressure dropping low, that is until your vp gives you the finger and quits working.:bolt:

7 hours ago, dripley said:

I would sure find out whats going on with your fuel pressure. The VP will pull its own fuel and run but it is very hard on it. The VP is another $1000 bill.

:iagree:

Either your fuel pressure gauge is not working right, or it is and you have a problem that needs to be addressed ASAP. 

If it is reading properly and your fuel pressure is low to none, you most likely need a lift pump. Is yours stock or aftermarket? Better to spend around 500 dollars now on a aftermarket lift pump(dont replace with another stock one) than 1500+ on a lift pump and VP.

While your at it, you might as well run ½ fuel lines from tank to vp when you change the lift pump.

• Like 2

I say get your wheels and tires.

I like my truck with taller tires.

I've done no mods to be able to run 33-35" tires. I did do a 2" level spacer that bolts in on the front. My trucks a 3500 and factory they sit with about a 5" nose down rake. When I towed 20k that was perfect I try to not put more than 16k behind the truck now.

I really really like the 3rd gen wheels that I have. I bought one set for 100 bucks and traded into this set. They had the cooper 285x70x17 already mounted. I shined them up and holy moly I like them.

285x70x17s are about 33"x11" tire.

My other tires are 285x75x17 about a 35"x11" tire. I have them in the shed. I'll run these coopers bald then switch back.

I regularly tow 11000 lbs. have done a few mods fuel system, gauges, track bar, injectors.

I'd say get your tires and wheels out of the way and get a fuel gauge on it and go from there. 

I've had my truck for about 15 years only major repairs have been injection pump and tranny. Mines 47re that lasted to 280,000 miles. It's now been rebuilt.

Injection pump was replaced right at 15years ago. Dodge did a retrofit in tank lift pump research here soon had me replacing it with a fuel system because it only had 4psi at idle. I now cruise down the free way at 75mph wwth 18psi  drops to about 15 to 14 pulling a grade.

Also no excessive egts temps due to tires empty I cruise at 700-800 towing flat ground about 900-1100 pulling grades I'll bounce around 1200 sometimes 1300 depending on grade and what I'm towing. I'm running factory 3.55 gears. Boost fooler and turn buckling waste get helped a ton with egts while towing

Definitely fun reliable trucks.

Heres the 3rd gen wheels. They sit out further on my truck because I have a dually rear axle that's  wider than single axles. I matched the front axle to it with 1.5" spacers. Yes I have spacers on for looks I can hear the guys gears turning now. Lol they dont like spacers many dont nit i have had no issues with them they're on for looks is all. But my tires did rub control arms with out them yours wont because youl have 4.5-3" back spaces wheels.  Get 4.5" 

If you get wheels wider than 8 you might though.

20x8 wheels with some good street tires would be very cool.

20"x10" or 12" wheels do not look good. They stick out to far and are wider than the tire look horrible actually.

I like wheels to not be wider than the tread face. The tires in pic have about a 9.5" wide tread face. So slightly wider than the 8" wheel. I wouldnt want a tire with a tread face narrower then 8" on a 8" wheel. Tire sidewall is still wider than 8"

2019-06-23_11-23-17 2019-06-23_11-25-43

I'll stop rambling

Edited by Evan
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 10:40 AM, Royal Squire said:

Might want to get a test gauge to make sure you have fuel pressure. 

Where can I get one and how do I use it? What is the price of one?

16 hours ago, Alexio Auditore said:

Either your fuel pressure gauge is not working right, or it is and you have a problem that needs to be addressed ASAP. 

If it is reading properly and your fuel pressure is low to none, you most likely need a lift pump. Is yours stock or aftermarket? Better to spend around 500 dollars now on a aftermarket lift pump(dont replace with another stock one) than 1500+ on a lift pump and VP.

While your at it, you might as well run ½ fuel lines from tank to vp when you change the lift pump.

I have a raptor 4g lift pump. What are 1/2 fuel lines?

2 hours ago, Kane4sythe said:

I have a raptor 4g lift pump. What are 1/2 fuel lines

There is a very good chance you already have 1/2 fuel lines with the AD pump you have on it. Check the lines going to the pump. The pump will ahve 2 filters on it and most lkely mounted on the frame rails near the rear of the drivers door.  They should flexable and about 3/4" or so in diameter. Then its just a matter of chasing where they go.

Do you guys think that 33x12.5 tires would be too big? 

Stock tires: 31.6x10.4 

(ones in question):  33x12.5

My liftpump

if you look to the far right, where the picture ends and the tube goes out of frame you can see a small drip. What does this mean and how can it be fixed? Could this be causing my fuel pressure to be low?0050FC96-F14F-4EBD-898E-14116464585A.jpeg.22e5ab68be13e7718f6be7ac3e0399b1.jpeg

3 hours ago, dripley said:

pump will ahve 2 filters on it and most lkely mounted on the frame rails near the rear of the

I don’t have two filters