• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Time to look for a new truck!

This past year, i put in a new alternator, replaced the VP, new injectors, new radiator and just had the ECM reworked. 

I have had a group of electrical gremlins move in to the truck. It has gotten to the point that I do not trust the truck anymore!

Been telling everyone it would be my last vehicle.  Guess that is not going to happen .

Can’t complain though. It has been a good truck.

Now the hunt begins!

• Staff
22 minutes ago, gassernomore said:

This past year, i put in a new alternator, replaced the VP, new injectors, new radiator and just had the ECM reworked. 

I have had a group of electrical gremlins move in to the truck. It has gotten to the point that I do not trust the truck anymore!

Been telling everyone it would be my last vehicle.  Guess that is not going to happen .

Can’t complain though. It has been a good truck.

Now the hunt begins!

How many miles are on it?

30 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

How many miles are on it?

27 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I understand,. Just when you think you have fixed it all somwthing else breaks lol

I do not mind the mechanical. It is the electrical that I can do with out!

• Staff
11 hours ago, gassernomore said:

I do not mind the mechanical. It is the electrical that I can do with out!

I plan on going at least 400 k.

A few more questions:

Are all the grounds and cables clean and tight?

No hidden corrosion inside the battery cables? 

What about the important ground for the PDC? Its down low on the fender in front of the drivers battery.

What level of A/C volts, noise are you seeing?

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 9:01 PM, Me78569 said:

I understand,. Just when you think you have fixed it all somwthing else breaks lol

No kidding man, mine just started to misfire at idle again, engine load is bouncing between 5 and 8, it set for few weeks while I was working on my new toy vw tdi, I bet it got jealous and did that to me:mad: So I beat the crap out of it to put it back in its place, seems better. It almost feels like one of the injectors is missing and they only got about 10 K on them. Really getting tired of pulling injectors, but who am I preaching to :lmao:

• Haha 3

• Staff

I know what you mean.... got home Sunday Nite smelled like wires getting hot.... pop hood and alternator is hot enough to cook chicken... Mopar man say unhook alt with internal short and go to work till you can replace it , just charge batts each nite till you get one. Put charger on next nite and volt meter says, sheesh! over 15 volts..... overcharge condition, What the :think:. now thoroughly confused... dang shop charger is at highest amps... yet batteries show 15.8 volts on the volt meter...... so why is charger pumping highest amps :shrug:. I bug moparman already plenty good so  I call IBMobile ...only he says check your volt meter battery cause that can do that. Change volt meters and Sure enough actual battery volts are down to 11.89 with the charger throwing everything it has at them. Stomach growling...... go eat diner with batteries separated, come back and one battery is down to 10. 89 volts. Other battery almost up resting for half hour. Go get new batteries thinking problem solved so hook up alt for on the way home. Alternator now smoking bad.... Change alternator to a good Bosch I had on the shelf. All is good now.

I never had an alternator fail that way and I think it has something to do with the ten year old batteries, one being shorted. It just doesn't pay to run around with old batteries and interrupt Moparman and IBMobile. They were both correct in what they said. Thank you to both.:thumb1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I know what you mean.... got home Sunday Nite smelled like wires getting hot.... pop hood and alternator is hot enough to cook chicken... Mopar man say unhook alt with internal short and go to work till you can replace it , just charge batts each nite till you get one. Put charger on next nite and volt meter says, sheesh! over 15 volts..... overcharge condition, What the :think:. now thoroughly confused... dang shop charger is at highest amps... yet batteries show 15.8 volts on the volt meter...... so why is charger pumping highest amps :shrug:. I bug moparman already plenty good so  I call IBMobile ...only he says check your volt meter battery cause that can do that. Change volt meters and Sure enough actual battery volts are down to 11.89 with the charger throwing everything it has at them. Stomach growling...... go eat diner with batteries separated, come back and one battery is down to 10. 89 volts. Other battery almost up resting for half hour. Go get new batteries thinking problem solved so hook up alt for on the way home. Alternator now smoking bad.... Change alternator to a good Bosch I had on the shelf. All is good now.

I never had an alternator fail that way and I think it has something to do with the ten year old batteries, one being shorted. It just doesn't pay to run around with old batteries and interrupt Moparman and IBMobile. They were both correct in what they said. Thank you to both.:thumb1:

So did you cook a chicken on it?? Hate to see you miss an opportunity. 

• Haha 4

• Staff
7 hours ago, dripley said:

So did you cook a chicken on it?? Hate to see you miss an opportunity. 

No I scorched that sucker to a crisp. I coulda heated the whole house with that thing. Yet the bearings still turn nicely :shrug:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

No I scorched that sucker to a crisp. I coulda heated the whole house with that thing. Yet the bearings still turn nicely :shrug:

29 minutes ago, dave110 said:

You may have invented a new CFA classic. Denso- broasted chicken sandwich. Would you like some flies with that?

Now we got to figure whether to call it scorched or broasted. Course once they figure what Denso means we probably aint sellin' much. 

• Like 1

• Staff

At any rate a Chicken Fried State and no way will it ever 'fly'. Dam thing was so hot, I thought it may have something to do with the quakes in California....:ahhh:

$280 bucks in new batteries, Alternator fine too, now the trans needs servicing :violin:

Edited by JAG1

Funny thing though is my niece cooked some chicken breast on the grill last night. I got me a piece with some tater salad and sat down to eat it. That chicken came from @JAG1 alternator. She must of grilled for a half our. The polite man that I try to be did not complain. Her husband got home late and she fixed him a plate and he tried to eat it but could not stick his fork in it and expressed that to her. She comenced to explaing that white meat chicken is just that way dry and hard. I had to get up and go to bed because I was real close to falling o  the floor laughing. :lmao: I am laughing and typing right now.

I am blessed to have this time with her. We have not seen each other since her mother died 15 years ago other than a few calls. But I got to tell her its your cooking and not the chicken. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, dripley said:

Now we got to figure whether to call it scorched or broasted. Course once they figure what Denso means we probably aint sellin' much. 

Either way I'm sure it would have a 'fowl' smell whilst cooking :lol:. Wonder if excessive AC ripple would help or hurt?

• Haha 4