• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1997 Dodge Cummins - Full color wiring diagrams

You should be able to get it now. I've never heard of the issue but there could be anything going on in there. Short somewhere that keeps touching, etc.

Thanx so much. That's what I was thinking and I might just route a new wire with an inline fuse and splice it in just before the switch and before the dash and skip all the bundled wires.

• 2 months later...

hello, I am new to your site but very surprised to find it. I am a die hard Dodge truck owner. Currently own a 97 2500 with the Cummins diesel. Retired army. Living in Florida. I have been having wiring issues with my truck for a while now. Have had to trouble shoot most of my electrical problems the hard way .... via half-baked wiring diagrams, VOM, and text light .... in the past. I am currently working on a problem concerning my A/C not working. I think that it is the climate control switch but cannot tell which wire actually feeds the signal to the PCM to tell it that the A/C is on (I am assuming that is required and that the PCM is monitoring the low / high pressure switches and temp control of the system). Having a wiring diagram ... or at least one that shows more than the headlight layout (lol .... chiltons manual) ..... would be a great help. I tried to download it twice and received an error due to not being a member long enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to communicating with you in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

It will work now.. New members can't download until they get enough posts racked up. I bumped you to a standard member so you can download it now :thumbup2:

Hey guy! Would be nice to at least view the content. Waiting 14 days and aquiring 20 posts seems a bit much. What if the info doesn't have what were looking for? Long wait and effort to be disappointed in the end! Why not restrict download but allow viewing?

Hey guy! Would be nice to at least view the content. Waiting 14 days and aquiring 20 posts seems a bit much. What if the info doesn't have what were looking for? Long wait and effort to be disappointed in the end! Why not restrict download but allow viewing?

That capability is a little ahead of us yet. As for why it is locked, this forum isn't huge and doesn't have all the ads that pay for server use on big forums. Those files are big and tons of people want it so it would kill this forums bandwidth in no time. Because this forum's intent is to interact and share info, we ask for you to scratch our backs in this respect and we scratch yours by sharing all those files. If we had more money we could unlock it all, simple as that. But the experience of being bloated with ads is not worth it. But we are a cooperative group and if it is apparent you are helping then we do bump you to standard member. You should be able to download them now :thumbup2:
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, im new to the cummins world and so far its been great. I currently own a 96 2500 cummins with a few upgrades however the wiring has been touched by the previous owner and well let just say its a rats nest. Im currently having a no start no crank issue and i also want to go through all of the harnesses and clean everything up. Not sure if anyone can assist with the no crank issue. I am getting power to the start via the largest wire however the trigger wire is not working properly is what im assuming. Starter relay is in working order and i jumped the started to make sure its not the starter. Kinda of stumped. Any help at all would be great!

That capability is a little ahead of us yet. As for why it is locked, this forum isn't huge and doesn't have all the ads that pay for server use on big forums. Those files are big and tons of people want it so it would kill this forums bandwidth in no time. Because this forum's intent is to interact and share info, we ask for you to scratch our backs in this respect and we scratch yours by sharing all those files. If we had more money we could unlock it all, simple as that. But the experience of being bloated with ads is not worth it. But we are a cooperative group and if it is apparent you are helping then we do bump you to standard member. You should be able to download them now :thumbup2:

So he was a "one-and-done"... Join Date 04-21-2013 Last Activity 04-22-2013

Hey guys, im new to the cummins world and so far its been great. I currently own a 96 2500 cummins with a few upgrades however the wiring has been touched by the previous owner and well let just say its a rats nest. Im currently having a no start no crank issue and i also want to go through all of the harnesses and clean everything up. Not sure if anyone can assist with the no crank issue. I am getting power to the start via the largest wire however the trigger wire is not working properly is what im assuming. Starter relay is in working order and i jumped the started to make sure its not the starter. Kinda of stumped. Any help at all would be great!

Is your truck a standard or auto trans? Just to clarify .... the truck will not crank and you have tested it at the solenoid (small wire on the starter) and you have no power ... but you have power on the main feed (big red wire) going to the starter?

the truck is an auto, and that is correct. i have power at the main feed however no power at the smaller wire. When i turn the key nothing happens. I checked the starter relay and in working order as well. Is there something else im missing here? Now the other factor in this is when this crank issue started i was about ready to pull the trans for a full rebuild. I let the crank issue go for a while in order to get the trans pulled. Now the truck has no trans in it. Is it possible to crank and or run the truck with no trans?

- - - Updated - - -

i know that sounds like a stupid question but i have nothing else to do on the truck and was trying to diag the crank issue without the trans so i can have the rig up and running once the trans is back from the shop.

This goes without saying but you have to be certain that the relay is actually working BEFORE starting the rest of the diagnostics that I will describe. You can easily pull another relay in the Power distro panel from a known good circuit and swap it out as a quick test. Be advised that the circuit will not work with the trans removed unless you follow the method that I outlined below .... see paragraph three below for detailed instructions on by-passing the PRNDL switch. There are two sides to the relay (its more or less the middle of the circuit for the starting system). Its the key area for proper diagnosis of your issue. There are two things to test for the power supply at the relay that is located in the power distribution center. Look for both of these at the connectors that the relay plugs into (use a 12v test light) .... 1. intermittent power to one of the terminals when you actually turn the ignition switch to the start position .... 2. Constant power to a different terminal. If you have both of these power sources to the relay socket, your problem is on the downstream side of the relay. If you are missing one of the two, your problem is back to the 12v source. Let me know if this is the case and I will tell you how to pinpoint the source problem. There are two sides to the downstream portion of the starting circuit from the relay. The first provides the ground path for the 12 volts provided by the ignition switch. This circuit follows a black (with a white trace) wire down to the left side of the trans. It passes into the Park/Neutral switch and then grounds. This will only happen if the vehicle is in Neutral or in Park. You can test this with the trans removed by finding the wire by color and providing a temporary ground back the the engine (a jumper wire). If the transmission were in the truck you would still diagnose in the same manner in order to insure that the P/N switch is providing the proper ground path. No ground path .... bad switch. The second path goes directly to the starter itself. Its a brown wire that energizes the solenoid that is on the starter. Be advised that this same source of power also connects into the Fuel Shutdown Relay via this same brown wire. When you apply power to the starter solenoid it simultaneously sends power to the relay that energizes the fuel shutdown solenoid that allows to fuel to flow to the engine. It flashes power to the relay which causes the solenoid to pull the arm connected to the fuel metering rod up. You will here a loud click / thunk when it actually works. This not happening (if there is a break in that wire or a problem with that relay) will allow the vehicle to crank but not start. Let me know what you find out with your diagnostics. We can go further if needed. One word of caution ... starting the engine without the trans in might not be a great idea unless you brace the backside of the engine first. Use a floor jack or something to lift the motor back into the right position prior to running the engine. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys new here, great site. Id like to download the wiring diagram but says i cant any help would be appreciated.

thanks Matt

- - - Updated - - -

i read the older posts and i see why i cant download it

im new to cummins world im installing a 97 12 valve in a 95 chev body and am trying to figure out the wiring for the tach pick up altonator and cold start grid heaters.

thanks Matt

Beings how I now have a '97.. :thumb1: do we (i.e. YOU) have a FSM for a '97?

Just been going through some of these threads, and would like to mention that I just downloaded the sales book from Geno'e Garage and on page (I believe 45) they sell factory service manuals in paper or CD's for 1989 to 1999. The paper is costly, but the CD's are $35 each. Thought I'd mention this if it might help someone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,Just checking to see if there were any major wiring changes between the 1996 and 1997 years. I have a 1996 Ram 2500 Cummins and just had a major wiring issue.Apparently the interior dome light wires shorted and melted all the way down to underneath the dash. I had a good bit of smoke and was testing w/20A fuse and for some reason the fuse failed to blow (defective)? I had to manually pull it and then I pulled the batteries because I was not sure that the smoke had stopped.Today I have to go through those massive wiring bundles and figure out what damage has been done.The pink wire running up to the ceiling is the melted wire.Anyone with any helpful comments would be appreciated.Thanks,Nathan

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I literally just joined this site, and am have been replacing my clutch the past week on my 97 12 valve 2500. love the truck. Problem I am having is figuring out where to put all the wiring and tubing stuff back. Would like to try to download your file if I can. Thanks in advance and am enjoying the site so far.bobby jo

Hey I literally just joined this site, and am have been replacing my clutch the past week on my 97 12 valve 2500. love the truck. Problem I am having is figuring out where to put all the wiring and tubing stuff back. Would like to try to download your file if I can. Thanks in advance and am enjoying the site so far. bobby jo

PM sent