• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner
1 hour ago, RAD said:

OK then we are back to the thermostats. Again two different thermostats from two different manufactures. But sold as OEM replacements by Cummins.

1 hour ago, RAD said:

I recently replaced mine w/ an original mopar fan clutch, looked nothing like the original. Same as yours.
Its a SMP fan clutch. SMP otherwise known as Standard Motor Products manufactures the fan clutch under 4Seasons or Hayden brands."

Bingo. Again Mopar reboxed and branded another fan clutch to be sold as OEM. But its not the same OEM fan clutch from when your truck was made. It's a totally different fan clutch and manufacture most likely. 

The thermostat you buy at NAPA will not use the same OEM part number as the one you'd find at the dealer, nor will they be the same part.  Thats the difference here.  No is saying that OEM cant use more than one supplier or different suppliers, as that can and does happen often for many reasons.  But the odds are that the parts are extremely close in design and quality because those suppliers are building the part per OEM specs.

• Owner
7 hours ago, KATOOM said:

The thermostat you buy at NAPA will not use the same OEM part number as the one you'd find at the dealer

Part number is meaningless. Who made the part? 

nor will they be the same part. 

Yes, they can be the same part that I've seen already. 

saying that OEM cant use more than one supplier or different suppliers, as that can and does happen often for many reasons.

Yup this is true. Dealers (Mopar and Cummins) change manufactures constantly. You might get the same part that NAPA, AutoZone, etc. sells. I've seen this too. Not stamped the same part numbers but the manufacture is the same. 

The OEM manufacture could have been any company who manufactures 3rd party products following proprietary design specifications.  It doesnt have to be Hayden or Murray or whomever big name fan clutch manufacture you're thinking...  This is common practice in the manufacturing world.

If the manufactures name is not stamped anywhere on the component, and who manufactured it is not listed anywhere, and there are no parts store versions which look exactly like the OEM part.....then your question cant be answered.

• Staff
1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

The OEM manufacture could have been any company who manufactures 3rd party products following proprietary design specifications.  It doesnt have to be Hayden or Murray or whomever big name fan clutch manufacture you're thinking...  This is common practice in the manufacturing world.

I have to agree with @KATOOM about this.   I deal with this weekly where a lot of the parts out there are junk; then sometime I find who makes the OEM part and it's just as good as the original.   

• Like 1

I would have to agree with @KATOOM and @IBMobile . Any manufacture can build the same part to different specifacations. It does work the other way too sometimes. I replaced my right side cruise button on the steering wheel. The Mopar was a good bit pricier than RA but when I got the part it was the same one used for the oe. SMP with the same part number.

597776b82763a_cruiseswitch.jpg.91ba9bdc0f239bbc3e2e6c6ec8e311f3.jpg

I do the picture is more an exception than the rule. How to know is the question.

12 minutes ago, dripley said:

I would have to agree with @KATOOM and @IBMobile . Any manufacture can build the same part to different specifacations. It does work the other way too sometimes. I replaced my right side cruise button on the steering wheel. The Mopar was a good bit pricier than RA but when I got the part it was the same one used for the oe. SMP with the same part number.

You're reinforcing what I was trying to point out many post ago...whereby there are suppliers/sources who carry OEM parts. (Thus Genos) But...when those OEM parts are no longer available from the OEM dealer then whatever those suppliers/sources have available is all there is.  When they run out they will no longer carry that OEM part.  If they do carry anything it will be an aftermarket version of the same.

RockAuto is merely a distributor who gets stuff from suppliers like Standard...who also supplies to other companies as well.  Standard didnt manufacture your cruise control switch nor did they have anything to do with the making of that part other than to get what they received from Mopar.

To further support what I'm saying, try to search for that switch again in RockAuto and you'll potentially see that Standard isnt their go to for that part anymore.  Standard does show it on their website but you cant find it on any OEM Mopar parts website because its discontinued.

• Staff
2 hours ago, KATOOM said:

To further support what I'm saying, try to search for that switch again in RockAuto and you'll potentially see that Standard isnt their go to for that part anymore.  Standard does show it on their website but you cant find it on any OEM Mopar parts website because its discontinued.

That's why when I'm in the bone yard I try to snag all those little parts and put them in the shed for "just in case".  Pay a couple of dollars now or "no longer available" later.  

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Exactly what I'm say like @dripley saved big time buying from part supplier and ended up with the same OEM part without paying for the mopar logo. 

I got lucky though. I picked that out of a list just because I have used Standard in the past. I was shocked to find the parts identical down to the Chrysler logo.

i do believe Hayden, or anyone for that matter, can make a part to match OEM for Dodge and another that will fit the same use but be of lesser quality for the cheaper places. how different I dont know. i do know when a part is made for someone else both have to profit from the sale of the one part generating a higher cost

Ironically I was just talking to a driveline shop today asking about seals.  And without any prompting from me the guy offers his opinion to only use OEM "from the dealer" seals.  This is a well known shop up where I live who've specialized in performance diesels for the past 20 years or so, and his reasoning was that there are many versions of OEM but whatever comes from the dealer is what came on the vehicle and those parts tend to be more robust.  OEM part numbers from other sources may not be the same and will typically be of a lesser quality, referencing the strength and durability of the seals he uses.  His words were, "If I install an aftermarket seal I can guarantee I will be dealing with this vehicle in the future because it will leak, but if I use factory seals then the odds are it will not leak".  Thats obviously not to claim that every part they use is factory since they're a "performance" shop but I thought that was particularly interesting given the topic of this thread...  Take it with a grain of salt.