• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Slow spooling turbo

• Owner
11 hours ago, Voltronics said:

Will a non waste gated be fine for a manual truck sorry if this is a dumb question

Just for a bit of information. The 1st Gen truck were fitted with a H1C turbo and it was a 22cm2 housing non-wastegated. This was a huge exhaust housing the 160 HP engine could breath good but impossible to over spin that turbo. HX35W turbo came to be in 1994 and be there till 2002.

No such thing as a dumb question everyone learn from each other by asking questions. :thumbup2:

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Personally I prefer using a smaller turbo with a wastegate on a DD or towing duty truck.    The waste gate can open and bleed off excess gas at the top of the rpm range without lossing low end spooling. 

Depending on what you use the truck for I would say a 12 cm housing would be a much better choice than the 14 cm.  

What does your truck do?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Personally I prefer using a smaller turbo with a wastegate on a DD or towing duty truck.    The waste gate can open and bleed off excess gas at the top of the rpm range without lossing low end spooling. 

Depending on what you use the truck for I would say a 12 cm housing would be a much better choice than the 14 cm.  

What does your truck do?

My truck is used as daily driver and hauling about 3-5 cattle around 

Honestly if I was you I would opt for a he351cw.    It will flow ~450 hp, it is very tough, it is cheap, and it will spool faster than the 62 or 64 mm sxe turbos. 

If you want an sxe I would opt for a 62/68/12   It would flow ~ 500 hp maybe a bit more and spool faster than the 14 cm housing version.  You will loose some top end, but every post of yours so far seems more geared to lower rpm ranges.

Your injectors should be replaced first though.  You will not be able to tune out the smoke of them regardless.  They are not correctly designed for street use.   DDP uses the WRONG spray angle nozzles. 

remember a turbo diesel engine at or near 0 psi might as well be a NA motor,  A new turbo WILL NOT help offidle smoke.  A new turbo might help clean up smoke faster once it is lit

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Honestly if I was you I would opt for a he351cw.    It will flow ~450 hp, it is very tough, it is cheap, and it will spool faster than the 62 or 64 mm sxe turbos. 

If you want an sxe I would opt for a 62/68/12   It would flow ~ 500 hp maybe a bit more and spool faster than the 14 cm housing version.  You will loose some top end, but every post of yours so far seems more geared to lower rpm ranges.

Your injectors should be replaced first though.  You will not be able to tune out the smoke of them regardless.  They are not correctly designed for street use.   DDP uses the WRONG spray angle nozzles. 

remember a turbo diesel engine at or near 0 psi might as well be a NA motor,  A new turbo WILL NOT help offidle smoke.  A new turbo might help clean up smoke faster once it is lit

Should I get 6 hole or 7 hole 150hp injectors ?

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

His truck has more fuel then mine with the hot rod pump and mine lights at 1500  with 355s and 35s it's a blast to drive and keeps it cool on the highway 

and you have control over timing and injectors that aren't spraying at the wrong angle.  

the 14 can work, but the 12 will spool faster.    I would also argue a wastegate should be used.  having a wastegate prevents overspeeding without having to oversize the turbo to prevent overspeed.  VP trucks make power at 1800-2200 rpms, not 3k + rpms most want to size a turbo that reaches peak area in the turbo maps at this point.

regardless, for the goals of the OP a set of 7 x .010s from DAP and a HE351cw will meet his goals for less than the cost of the sxe turbo.

Edited by Me78569

On 7/15/2019 at 10:49 AM, Me78569 said:

What about the SXE 57

Edited by gipperkid

supposed to be good, but Idont know that it flows significantly more than a he351cw,   You could install a 351 for ~$500 said and done.   

hard to recommend a more expensive turbo that preforms the same.  

the he351cw is a very underrated turbo for a vp truck that does towing duties and Daily duty stuff

On 7/16/2019 at 2:42 PM, Me78569 said:

supposed to be good, but Idont know that it flows significantly more than a he351cw,   You could install a 351 for ~$500 said and done.   

hard to recommend a more expensive turbo that preforms the same.  

the he351cw is a very underrated turbo for a vp truck that does towing duties and Daily duty stuff

Any idea where I can get a he351cw?

• Owner
21 minutes ago, gipperkid said:

I have a HE351CW from an 06 Ram. The waste gate is seized on it.

That could possibly be fixed. Pull the haust housing off. Warm up the exhaust housing in an oven or with a propane torch then dump it in a small bucket of diesel fuel. Let the heat and it soaking hopefully free the shaft and wastegate up. Might take several passes and some light tapping with a plastic or rubber hammer to shock the wastegate rust.

On 7/15/2019 at 2:58 PM, Me78569 said:

and you have control over timing and injectors that aren't spraying at the wrong angle.  

the 14 can work, but the 12 will spool faster.    I would also argue a wastegate should be used.  having a wastegate prevents overspeeding without having to oversize the turbo to prevent overspeed.  VP trucks make power at 1800-2200 rpms, not 3k + rpms most want to size a turbo that reaches peak area in the turbo maps at this point.

regardless, for the goals of the OP a set of 7 x .010s from DAP and a HE351cw will meet his goals for less than the cost of the sxe turbo.

The mechanical vgt s300 and 400s are coming yay 

Screenshot_20190719-155631.png

Screenshot_20190719-155621.png

Screenshot_20190719-155614.png