• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nice. 

Were you towing. 

I'm wondering what alittle bigger turbo would do for my smoking and might bump boost well into head studded area.

I sustain 30-35 pulling grades towing with hy35. And smoke like freight train on bottom end. 7x09 injectors 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Boost or EGT's is not accurate. 

On a wide open stand in my truck I can hit about 47 PSI and about 1,400°F EGT's on my ISSPro gauges... Now Quadzilla shows 67 PSI of boost and 1,689°F. I know is not right. 

Both are vary close to mechanical guage readings it's a the 14 cm non gated hot side 

Edited by Silverdodge

15 hours ago, Evan said:

Nice. 

Were you towing. 

I'm wondering what alittle bigger turbo would do for my smoking and might bump boost well into head studded area.

I sustain 30-35 pulling grades towing with hy35. And smoke like freight train on bottom end. 7x09 injectors 

A bigger turbo will make smoke worse on the bottom end as a bigger turbo will take longer to light.

Your smoke issues are %100 related to the smarty. Period.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 12:35 PM, Me78569 said:

A bigger turbo will make smoke worse on the bottom end as a bigger turbo will take longer to light.

Your smoke issues are %100 related to the smarty. Period.

The Smarty just doesn't get any love here...not just this thread but several others.  I can honestly say that I see more Quad issues on here than I see 'Smarty is your problem'...and I see a lot of those.  I just don't get it.  The Quad reminds me of a BMW I had once.  It looked good, drove good but never could get everything working right and very time consuming to operate.  I can understand why the Quad might have niche fans...just like BMW does.  I just see so many "the Smarty is your problem, you should get a Quad" type posts on here...almost like we're trying to sell them.  I don't have a Quad only because I have seen too many threads about issues with them...and I don't like problems.  I do have a Smarty and have had zero issues with smoke or reliability...and my speedometer is correct too.  It actually doesn't suck but I wouldn't get that impression from here if I didn't have one.  Also I'm quite certain a Quad truck would have trouble keeping up with me.  Anyways just an observation I've noticed after being on here for a while now. 

Edited by Bullet

42 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

The datalogs of the smarty tuning are posted.  They speak for themselves.

The many problem threads of the Quad are posted...they speak for themselves.  Lol...see what I did there?  You didn't address that...why I wonder?  I agree that the Quad is the best tuning platform not accounting for its troubled user experiences.  I just wondered why some of the same people don't hesitate to crack on the Smarty while always failing to mention the many user issues that have been had with the Quad...that's all.  It just seems kinda fanboyish to me.  If I ever want user issues I'll just get married or buy another BMW...although the Quad would be a much cheaper alternative.

• Owner
9 hours ago, Bullet said:

The Smarty just doesn't get any love here...not just this thread but several others. 

This stems back from Marco in Italy. The S-03 Smarty just never got the proper attention it should have. There has never been any explanation of the setting and what the fuel and timing maps are like. 

Then after going down the Smarty Touch route and finding out it is still only a +60 HP tuner but costing $1,700 to get the full package. Not to mention the Smarty Touch is just a over priced version of the Smarty S-03. Still only 60 HP tuner. Not worth it. This stems from the fact Marco in Italy focused more so on the CR engines more so and left the VP44 truck in the cold. The effort into the tuners for the VP44 wasn't there. I've even asked directly to Marco long ago for more info. Even then when I was working for SmartyResource information was extremely limited for the VP44 truck and still is. Now for CR engines there is a ton of information and tuning abilities are way way better. Smarty was given the offer long ago to interface with members here but refused to take the time. 

The biggest thing I always work towards was trying to build a article database for Smarty that provided all the information on the tuner. To this day even the Smarty Touch is extremely limited. Marco's comment was its a living and breathing device that doesn't require documentation. What?!?! :rolleyes: 

There is a lot of promises I've heard about where Smarty was going to add functions but people have been waiting far too long and the promises never happened. 

6 hours ago, Bullet said:

I agree that the Quad is the best tuning platform not accounting for its troubled user experiences.

This is because Quadzilla has focused directly on the VP44 platform more so. Bringing all the power, tuning and other options to the table. Which is completely missing on both of the Smarty S-03 and Smarty Touch. Now with Quadzilla they have been direct working with the members of the site here and still are. 

• Like 1

• Owner
Just now, Silverdodge said:

I've ran all 3 and truck quad is better by far fyi edge smarty quad

I've ran...

• Smarty S-03
  • Smarty touch
  • Edge Comp
  • Quadzilla Adrenaline

Still say for the VP44 Quadzilla hands down with the most tuning ability and best power. Edge Comp is second where its the most easiest tuner to set up and use, but the worse for smoke control being its design only for stock injectors.

8 hours ago, Bullet said:

The many problem threads of the Quad are posted...they speak for themselves.  Lol...see what I did there?  You didn't address that...why I wonder?  I agree that the Quad is the best tuning platform not accounting for its troubled user experiences.  I just wondered why some of the same people don't hesitate to crack on the Smarty while always failing to mention the many user issues that have been had with the Quad...that's all.  It just seems kinda fanboyish to me.  If I ever want user issues I'll just get married or buy another BMW...although the Quad would be a much cheaper alternative.

To put it in perspective for you.

We have had tunes posted here for a few years now.  There have been nearly 4,000 tune downloads.  The tuning articles that have been posted have generated more than 20,000 views.   To understand how much traffic that is compared to another tuning article The "edge article how to" has generated less than 1500 views in the 10 years.  

this site gets a metric F-TON of Quadzilla traffic for good reason lol.  The reason why you think you see a lot of issues is because there is a lot of posts about quads here.  I can remember to date 3 instances where a quad had issues that couldn't be solved.  I can remember ~10 instances over the last 5 years where a quad was DOA.  what you don't see is the mass of people that have no issues.  Very few people ever come to a forum to post " hey everything's great"  The reason I don't "address the guys having issues" is the vast majority of them haven't figured out the tuning.   Thats why we help them, thats why we post articles.   I can't even begin to guess how many bad map sensors have been found as a result of people "having issues with their quad"

The S03 has an equally poor track record of observed user issues.  most of them are related to aging ECM's and aren't actually the s03's fault.  I never bring that up.  What I do bring up is the S03 extremely limited documentation and VERY poor fuel and timing user end management. 

1. timing is locked at 18* at full duration and semi hi throttle.  This was done to ensure dyno torque numbers were high at 1800 rpm, thats it.  you pick up significant power by increasing timing to 30* up top.  This is why most people complain that the smarty falls off up top.  

2. %100 is reached at VERY low throttle input on high sw levels.  on on SW5 %100 duration is commanded below %50 throttle input.

You say you don't think a quad truck could keep up with you, what information do you have to say that?  ever been in a quad truck? ever played with the tuning?  

The reason why I said the Smarty was his issue is because he was saying he is having issues with his truck smoking like a freight train.  That is a S03 tuning trait unless you learn to drive around your tuning.   With bigger injectors and a S03 you have to manage your throttle pedal or else you will have smoke issus.  This is a S03 issue in itself.  You can claim you don't have smoke issues, but I know what happens if you do a snap WOT take off from a light, I know what happens when you have a locked shift to OD with too high of throttle input and low boost.   I will be happy to compare videos of those situtations with you.   That is something I consider an issue with the tuning. 

I've driven the same fuel / air setup with the smarty, edge, and quad.  The quad was the only one that I did not have to drive around the tuning.  The quadzilla was the only one that cruise control still worked without surging.  I didn't have to adjust my daily tuning to go do emissions.  I passed emissions with %2 less opacity on my daily tune while making 200 more hp to the wheels than I used to using the smarty on %50 mode.  

I am very happy to address any issues.  I am bias, I wrote the V2 tuning, but I wrote it to solve issues my issues and the issues with the current tuners on the market.  I documented the process and took user input, If someone wanted to read they would know the complete history of the V2 tuning...good and bad.  I know the limits of the quad, edge, tst, S03, touch. 

The quadzilla offers more for less, nothing is issue free however.    I am glad you like your setup, keep rocking it if it works for you.  However for guys who don't like how the smarty works then there are other choices which I prefer.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Me78569 said:

To put it in perspective for you.

We have had tunes posted here for a few years now.  There have been nearly 4,000 tune downloads.  The tuning articles that have been posted have generated more than 20,000 views.   To understand how much traffic that is compared to another tuning article The "edge article how to" has generated less than 1500 views in the 10 years.  

this site gets a metric F-TON of Quadzilla traffic for good reason lol.  The reason why you think you see a lot of issues is because there is a lot of posts about quads here.  I can remember to date 3 instances where a quad had issues that couldn't be solved.  I can remember ~10 instances over the last 5 years where a quad was DOA.  what you don't see is the mass of people that have no issues.  Very few people ever come to a forum to post " hey everything's great"  The reason I don't "address the guys having issues" is the vast majority of them haven't figured out the tuning.   Thats why we help them, thats why we post articles.   I can't even begin to guess how many bad map sensors have been found as a result of people "having issues with their quad"

The S03 has an equally poor track record of observed user issues.  most of them are related to aging ECM's and aren't actually the s03's fault.  I never bring that up.  What I do bring up is the S03 extremely limited documentation and VERY poor fuel and timing user end management. 

1. timing is locked at 18* at full duration and semi hi throttle.  This was done to ensure dyno torque numbers were high at 1800 rpm, thats it.  you pick up significant power by increasing timing to 30* up top.  This is why most people complain that the smarty falls off up top.  

2. %100 is reached at VERY low throttle input on high sw levels.  on on SW5 %100 duration is commanded below %50 throttle input.

You say you don't think a quad truck could keep up with you, what information do you have to say that?  ever been in a quad truck? ever played with the tuning?  

The reason why I said the Smarty was his issue is because he was saying he is having issues with his truck smoking like a freight train.  That is a S03 tuning trait unless you learn to drive around your tuning.   With bigger injectors and a S03 you have to manage your throttle pedal or else you will have smoke issus.  This is a S03 issue in itself.  You can claim you don't have smoke issues, but I know what happens if you do a snap WOT take off from a light, I know what happens when you have a locked shift to OD with too high of throttle input and low boost.   I will be happy to compare videos of those situtations with you.   That is something I consider an issue with the tuning. 

I've driven the same fuel / air setup with the smarty, edge, and quad.  The quad was the only one that I did not have to drive around the tuning.  The quadzilla was the only one that cruise control still worked without surging.  I didn't have to adjust my daily tuning to go do emissions.  I passed emissions with %2 less opacity on my daily tune while making 200 more hp to the wheels than I used to using the smarty on %50 mode.  

I am very happy to address any issues.  I am bias, I wrote the V2 tuning, but I wrote it to solve issues my issues and the issues with the current tuners on the market.  I documented the process and took user input, If someone wanted to read they would know the complete history of the V2 tuning...good and bad.  I know the limits of the quad, edge, tst, S03, touch. 

The quadzilla offers more for less, nothing is issue free however.    I am glad you like your setup, keep rocking it if it works for you.  However for guys who don't like how the smarty works then there are other choices which I prefer.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that.  I understand much better now.  I didn't know this forum was Quad central...so to speak.  I also didn't know how much time and effort you have put into the Quad...so I understand how saying anything negative about it can feel insulting.  I see that when I read all the Smarty bashing. 

What would you attribute most of the user issues to...is it more of a user problem than a Quad problem?  It seems like a pretty complex platform that everyone might not be able to grasp?  I'm not against buying one if it is that good...but my current setup has been "issue free"  and crazy powerful.  My Viper is the only car I've been in that seems like it might hang.  I haven't used a Quad before or raced one so all I have to go on is what I read and how I know my truck runs.  I'll do some more reading with a more open mind and try to understand more about it.  Thanks again for your explanation. 

And lastly...how exactly do you convert a "metric F-TON" over to America standard? :think::cheers:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bullet said:

And lastly...how exactly do you convert a "metric F-TON" over to America standard? :think::cheers:

:lmao:

But in all honesty when I got the quad back in the day, I went with it for simple fact that they didn't charge you extra for hot unlock and it seemed to had more options. Fast forward few years I was starting to wish I got an edge. Then for whatever reason I kept it and finally Nick put in his work into making what quad should of been from the beginning. Now I love it, but can't really compare it to anything else. Quad is the only reason I went with 7x10 and bigger turbo. I'm able to get close to 20mpg if I drive nice and if I get on it its a race truck. I think pop pressure definitely plays a role in how clean it runs, after a year I'm smoking a bit more, which my guess is injectors are sattleling down on pressure. I requested 320 bar and they ran extremely clean when installed. Anyway if you get time and read how it works and all the adjustments you can make, it would make sense why it's a better tuner on a vp truck. I honestly don't see myself without it now. It does take a long time to work bugs out, just to make a perfect tune. You can get close buy using someone else's tune with same set up, to get 100% out of it you need to know exactly what it does. They had some issues with connecting and whatever else but seems to be more with iso, Droid works better imo. Haven't heard much bad about it lately. No one is paying me to say this. 

I do agree quad is not for everyone. For some it's best to go with RV275 and a fooler. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

No one is paying me to say this. 

I do agree quad is not for everyone. For some it's best to go with RV275 and a fooler. 

Lol...noted!  Thanks for your honest take on it DF.  I can understand how some things are more idiotproof and others require a more technical user. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bullet said:

Thanks for taking the time to explain that.  I understand much better now.  I didn't know this forum was Quad central...so to speak.  I also didn't know how much time and effort you have put into the Quad...so I understand how saying anything negative about it can feel insulting.  I see that when I read all the Smarty bashing. 

What would you attribute most of the user issues to...is it more of a user problem than a Quad problem?  It seems like a pretty complex platform that everyone might not be able to grasp?  I'm not against buying one if it is that good...but my current setup has been "issue free"  and crazy powerful.  My Viper is the only car I've been in that seems like it might hang.  I haven't used a Quad before or raced one so all I have to go on is what I read and how I know my truck runs.  I'll do some more reading with a more open mind and try to understand more about it.  Thanks again for your explanation. 

Most issues are related to an aging platform.  Worn our sensors, failing xyz etc etc.  The quadzilla needs good inputs to run well.  more so than other tuners for a 2nd gen because of the on the fly maps creation that happens based on various inputs.  If a map sensor starts to fail on an edge or S03 no one notices because both of those will command %100 duration at 0 psi.   The quad can as well, but the tunes we post do not do this.   We want you to use all your throttle input leaving a light without smoking out the intersection.    

Next biggest issue is the learning curve.  The UDC pro from the smarty touch is normally done via professional tuning and is more complex, however the quad v2 was written so the average joe could tune with it..IF HUGE IF, they are willing to put effort into it.  The edge S03 ez xzt tst ts are all VASTLY simpler to use.  Simpler to use means less control.   I tried to find a happy medium between the two.  That means some guys aren't going to like it and they are going to have issues because they don't want to learn.     

we get around that by trying to document and do videos to help guys out.  I NEVER suggest the tuner to someone who wants a plug and play thing.  If they want to control fueling and timing directly then the quad is for them.   

The quad will NOT make your truck any faster, however with a proper tune it won't be any slower.  the perk is under the curve and no longer needing to drive around your tune.  You don't have to "roll into it" you don't have to worry about rpms / boost / trailer weight etc etc etc before putting your foot into it.  Your tune will control fueling and timing to the point where it won't smoke.  It will build power smoothly and without worry.  

I will say I did back to back runs using diffrent tunes, Tune 1 was %100 smoke free Tune 2 was very much like the edge on 5x5 or the smarty on sw9.   The run with tune #2 felt MUCH stronger, but when I looked at the datalogs from the run there was no actual difference in 0-60.  The butt dyno is a liar.  All it does it tell you when torque comes on, not how much.  Those datalogs are posted in the articles as well.  

and to be clear, I don't feel insulted about it all.  Used to...not anymore :) I don't really care if someone likes it or not all I try to do anymore is show facts and what can be done.   The 2nd gen market was all smoke and mirrors. 

All the tuners do the same thing at the end of the day.  With the other tuners you get a box tune, with the quad you don't.  If you dont like the way your truck runs then %95 of the time it is your own fault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2