• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine noise (revisited)

A little while ago i posted about an engine knocking/pulsating sound. I changed injectors and adjusted valves and the noise is still there. The engine is definitely more rattly since I first got the truck 6 years ago.

I also got an oil test and everything came back ABOVE average. Has the same amount of blowby as it always had at operating temp.

Where do I go from here after doing all of this? Is there an engine condition that wouldn't show up on an oil test? Can an injection pump thats going out cause noises? Where do I go from here?

Video below to hear what you guys think.

I can hear it more prominently through the air box, but the intake probably just isolates noise better. I don't know, I've been driving it every day for 6 years and it definitely seems noisier since last winter. Maybe I'm the one getting old.

I guess if everything checks out I keep truck in, ive don't everything I could, the only other thing is the injection pump, but don't want to change that because of noise.

If you can hear it through the air box it might be a weak or bad injector, even though you just replaced them. Could also be echo bouncing back from the house it's parked beside. 

could try running the truck and one at a time loosen the HP fuel line at the head and listen, if it changes tone it's good. If it doesn't change then that injector could be bad.

Its just hard to believe its the exact same sound even after the injectors were changed. Ill just keep running it and being vigilant. 

I've done all I could to make sure it's not something catastrophic.

• Staff

Both my second gens sound just like that. And I know the sound you are talking about coming from the air box. One day I said to myself, '' what is that?, started up the other 24 valve and it has the same airbox sound. I never worried about it again. :wink:

• Owner

If you stand near a BHAF vs Stock Air Box you'll find the stock air box is quiet then the BHAF has a extra thumping noise. This is normal. 

What you gotta watch out for is the metal on metal knocking noises. Beyond that you can do a compression test to verify the engine. Blow By test its possible to pass a blow by test with a bad cylinder (piston or valve). Compression test will pick up the damaged parts in a lower than normal reading.

1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

Both my stock air boxes make that sound kind of a background noise thumping you can hear.

I ne er heard it until the K&N and then the BHAF. Funny thing is I dont hear it when I pull the BHAF and intake pipe while the engine is running. 

• Staff
1 minute ago, dripley said:

I ne er heard it until the K&N and then the BHAF. Funny thing is I dont hear it when I pull the BHAF and intake pipe while the engine is running. 

Did you use the K&N for target practice? I hear it don't matter if it got holes or not.... :burnout:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Did you use the K&N for target practice? I hear it don't matter if it got holes or not.... :burnout:

I ran a K & N for near 9 years before coming here and learning about the BHAF.  I liked it better and made the swap. The wifes 2000 Dakota ran one too for 165k. I cleaned the one in my truck 3 times, hers twice. Per the intructions I soaked in the cleaner and rinsed with a garden hose with no nozzle just the water running lightly and definitely no compressed air. Matter of fact it was still a bit dirty when I was done. Then re oiled it,, reinstalled it and waited znother 50k then reprat. You can say what you want but yall saw my cylinder walls at 455k. They seem to have faired pretty darn good. 

The called once to let me know the place she was at getting her truck serviced had cleaned hers after the fsct and blew it out good with compressed air. I made her go buy a stock and she brought the "clean" one. Voids as big as quarters thru out the media the no oil would bridge. I would think over cleaning like that has probably caused the biggest failures on K & N filters. Just my theory.

But the BHAF is still my filter of choice and will remain so. Especially since I just bought 4 of them for some reason. I smell a raffle.

• Like 1

• Staff

Dripley my wife bought a Subaru Outback with 98,000 on the clock. I found a K&N filter in it with some dirt build up in the intake tube. It wasn't a lot but more than normal. I was thankful for the sticky oil in the tube as it trapped a lot of that dirt. I cleaned everything up and bought a standard filter for it. We live on a dusty road too.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:12 PM, Rotket said:

I can hear it more prominently through the air box, but the intake probably just isolates noise better. I don't know, I've been driving it every day for 6 years and it definitely seems noisier since last winter. Maybe I'm the one getting old.

I guess if everything checks out I keep truck in, ive don't everything I could, the only other thing is the injection pump, but don't want to change that because of noise.

I hear that noise as well and have the exact same noise, and it started for me years ago one day. I've never bother to investigate it further after 50,000 miles and it hasn't gotten worse either.

However, I did investigate with a stethoscope, and screw drivers and have never heard a knocking bearing or such so I can't figure it out. I thought I was through the injectors as well, because for me the noise seemed to hover around the cylinder 3/4 area when listening to the head with a screw driver for the clanging.

19 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If you stand near a BHAF vs Stock Air Box you'll find the stock air box is quiet then the BHAF has a extra thumping noise. This is normal. 

What you gotta watch out for is the metal on metal knocking noises. Beyond that you can do a compression test to verify the engine. Blow By test its possible to pass a blow by test with a bad cylinder (piston or valve). Compression test will pick up the damaged parts in a lower than normal reading.

This is important. butt I couldn't pinpoint the noise beyond the cylinder 3/4 area.

4 hours ago, 98whitelightnin said:

I agree, that sounds like a healthy vp truck to me. 

@dripley here is a pic of my old roommates 2001 truck after he blew the head gasket. His truck had 450k miles on it and he never ran an air filter for as long as I knew him and beat the heck out of this truck. 

713A1571-E502-45B9-ADAF-93AF9D570145.jpeg

NO air filter??? Did I read that right? Dont feel so bad about the K N.

Mine started weeping at about 445k. Changed it at about 465k, it was just starting to leak enough to leave a wet spot on the ground. Now I got 476k and it runs just like it always has, except for the occasional electrical gremlin.

• Staff
1 hour ago, 98whitelightnin said:

You read right, no filter at all. Rain or shine, turbo open to all elements. 

Put hose on it..... could'a used it for a shop vac.

Sorry about that one... at least it not a joke about sucking feathers or sumpin.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2