• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck died second version

Hello all, 

I too am in a similar situation with my truck.....I recently took ownership from my uncle, who recently passed away and left it to me. I would normally never own a diesel, but as I mentioned....it has much sentimental value to me, I have to do my very best to honor my uncle.

That said, he had spent a large amount of money on the truck, he has all the bells and whistles you might expect, the Quadzilla system, the exhaust extras from Bulldog and on and on it went. I am not very skilled at mechanics, but I am a cheap man, so if I can do it myself, I will. Still, the problems seem to be adding up, and now the truck will not turn over at all, its obviously fuel related, I have narrowed it down that much anyway. Its a 2001 2500 cummins with the turbo and VP44 of course, and the lift pump, which is Mopar and always seemed to be operating just fine, so I doubt thats the issue. It all started last summer, ive read on here about others and their hot weather problems, and mine are all too familiar. It would start just fine, then for no reason, not start at all, which forced me to wear out the starter, an d I had to get a new one. I then attempted to change out the factory stereo......and now im in a world of you know what! I dont hear the pump come on anymore, I used to release the pressure off the fuel filter, then it would start again, but now it appears to be dead. I'm now at the point of trying to decide if its the ECM, the VP44, perhaps even the PCM all since I introduced the stupid radio in to calculation here, but the fuel issue was present before that, so I think its just run its course. I would just appreciate any help in deciding which direction to go next, as I sold my Chevy, and now depend on the Dodge...which is now got me very concerned as I read the various tales on this site.

Thank you in advance,

Brian

• Owner
3 minutes ago, TheBeast said:

which is now got me very concerned as I read the various tales on this site.

First off that what the site is all about is coming together and fixing the problems we find. We all share information and figure out what the issue is and then come to a solution that is fair permanent. 

5 minutes ago, TheBeast said:

I'm now at the point of trying to decide if its the ECM, the VP44, perhaps even the PCM all since I introduced the stupid radio in to calculation here, but the fuel issue was present before that,

Lets start basic with error codes and the fuel pressure while your driving the truck down the pavement. (idle, cruise and WOT).

6 minutes ago, TheBeast said:

I dont hear the pump come on anymore, I used to release the pressure off the fuel filter, then it would start again, but now it appears to be dead.

Test for power at the lift pump plug after bumping the starter. 

Brian and mike.

I suggest starting a new thread. (or peeling this into a new thread.) 

and we need to get some basic terminology straight.  You say it won't turn over, but it is fuel related.....   So are you really saying it cranks but doesn't start?  or it doesn't crank?

I did check power there, and one plug has it, the lower one does not, but I must again add that I am having electrical problems all over the place, and I fear it may have been my own stupidity, not just leaving well enough alone with the radio. I do have to blame the manufacturer somewhat here, why is the computer even involved in the business of radio?

5 minutes ago, Haggar said:

Brian and mike.

and we need to get some basic terminology straight.  You say it won't turn over, but it is fuel related.....   So are you really saying it cranks but doesn't start?  or it doesn't crank?

Yes sir, it wants to be back on the road just as soon as possible, thank you and Mike for your quick responses here, I am a desperate man

• Owner
9 minutes ago, Haggar said:

Brian and mike.

Done. Split out.

I have attached the FSM page.  (wow mike you are fast....!!!)

There was a connector at the radio that goes to the CTM (central timing module)  This is connected to the CCD bus (which is the network that connects all the computers in the vehicle together)

These should not be connected to anything now.  If you did connect them to something, you need to tell us what they were connected to and see if people that are familiar with the CCD network help you find what else may have been damaged.

GL  HTH

Hag

2001 FSM Ram 8W-47-4.pdf

Edited by Haggar
I am stupid sometimes

Brian,

It could go easy.   By pulling the radio out and just disconnecting those wires, you might go right back to normal.  (totally depends on what they got connected to.)

Or you might have to trace out other items that may have gotten upset or damaged.

I hope it is scenario 1.  

scenario 2 isn't the end of the world, but it will take time to trace problems. 

GL

Hag

24 minutes ago, Haggar said:

Brian,

It could go easy.   By pulling the radio out and just disconnecting those wires, you might go right back to normal.  (totally depends on what they got connected to.)

Or you might have to trace out other items that may have gotten upset or damaged.

I hope it is scenario 1.  

scenario 2 isn't the end of the world, but it will take time to trace problems. 

GL

Hag

Thank you sir, and yes..I did put the radio back together as it was, there was a purple and white wire plugged in at the top...I thought they were the small tweeters, but they were actually the ones going to the computer. This caused some no bus issues, and I retraced my steps and discovered that major boo boo. The problem is, now there is no power to the radio, or the port for the scanner, and I’m trying to find out what else as we speak

41377344-E788-4DE5-AEE2-068CA3132250.jpeg

Edited by TheBeast

Sadly I must admit that the generator didnt seem to be the problem, its still not charging, and it is most likely one of these control modules. Thank you sir for those manuals, they are helping me immensely....I discovered there is yet another computer module in the dash, now i know where that is should i need to replace it. I am just hopeful that the scanner tool i get tomorrow can read what is at issue here, I will certainly share what ever I learn with you good folks. As for the radio, I am afraid to even mess with it, that I will take to a professional, its caused me enough pain and suffering.

1 hour ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

Do you have any other issues in the cab like no lights or gauges or power locks not working.  Could of blown the IOD fuse?

I did in fact blow that one....twice, but so far it hasnt blown again, but the power is dreadfully drained in the cab, everywhere actually! 

Brian,

If you don't mind give us a list of what functions now work and what doesn't. 

Look in the downloads section. (look at the top of the page it should say "forums" "Articles" then Downloads.   The full 2001 factory service manual should be there.  Use the wiring section (8w) to help yourself slowly trace it out.

The module under the dash is the central timer module.  The PCM is on the firewall on the passenger side. The PCM is responsible for voltage control.  (what you did should be really far from damaging the alternator, but I guess if the PCM is not communicating, it may not regulate charging.)

If your batteries are too discharged  all kinds of weird things can happen.  Get them charged up. 

GL

Hag

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Owner
On 7/18/2019 at 6:57 AM, Haggar said:

I have attached the FSM page.  (wow mike you are fast....!!!)

When I'm at home at the PC everything is fast... :thumbup2:

7 hours ago, TheBeast said:

I did in fact blow that one....twice, but so far it hasnt blown again, but the power is dreadfully drained in the cab, everywhere actually! 

Here I'll dive in a help... Fuse 12 Now you can see everything that is runs.

Power Distribution wiring map 1999 Dodge Ram

Thanks so much, it certainly looks like everything connected to it is indeed affected, I just have to find the culprit here. I am now convinced the PCM is down, after researching the manuals you guys provided, it makes perfect sense. I called a place and gave them the information about the PCM to flash it, and they said it was the seventh one for this VIN!!!

10 hours ago, Haggar said:

Brian,

If you don't mind give us a list of what functions now work and what doesn't. 

Look in the downloads section. (look at the top of the page it should say "forums" "Articles" then Downloads.   The full 2001 factory service manual should be there.  Use the wiring section (8w) to help yourself slowly trace it out.

The module under the dash is the central timer module.  The PCM is on the firewall on the passenger side. The PCM is responsible for voltage control.  (what you did should be really far from damaging the alternator, but I guess if the PCM is not communicating, it may not regulate charging.)

If your batteries are too discharged  all kinds of weird things can happen.  Get them charged up. 

GL

Hag

Basically everything that the manual indicates is handled by the PCM, is screwed blued and tattooed. I wish I had finished my research before buying an alternator, but it was the original, so I guess that was a hundred dollars well spent. I got my scanner, but I guess I got the wrong one, its an OBD and it turns out that I needed the DRB or something, I will return it and get a new one, so I can get everything ready for the new PCM. My hope is we can end this vicious cycle of new PCM flashes ever year!