• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck died while driving

Several days ago, my truck died while cruising at 60mph. There was no warning, pops, knocks, or clunks. The rpms dropped to idle then a few seconds later dropped to zero. Truck had full power until it died. Fuel pressure is good. Only throwing the p1693 code.I believe it to be a ground issue. The truck radio lost memory after sitting overnight and turned the am radio on. I'm looking for wire diagrams or someone who has maybe had a similar issue or any ideas. Anything will help!

Edited by BrownTown65

• Staff

What year second gen do you have? Did you pull the code with a code reader or just off the odometer/ key trick? There will be other hidden codes that show with the code reader and give a better clue.

Also what's the miles on it.

Man I'm surprised no one has tried to help you. Guessing like me it's the time of year. I'm barely able to keep up.

Please fill out your signature so we know what has also been done to the truck.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Edited by JAG1

It's a 2001 with 220,000 miles on it. The truck is completely stock except for a BHAF and a straight pipe. I just cycled the key to get the code, I've been waiting for my neighbor to bring down his snap on code reader. Thanks for getting back to me!

Engine still does not start. Voltage and ground are all good to the injection pump. The neighbors snap on code reader pulled out several more codes. Picture below. We were going to jump the pump to see if we could get it going but batteries were to low. Plan on connecting charger in the morning and trying again. However we could here the pump click when we connected the wires from the pump to the battery. So not sure if that means it may still be good?

20190720_161308.jpg

• 1 month later...

my truck did the same thing at 30mph no warning nothing towed it home about a month ago not throwing any codes but I don't hear the pump kick on with key am I mistaken or would that not cause a code it is a 98.5 24 v ? any suggestions as to where to look firstly?Thanks I will be following trying to learn lol 

10 minutes ago, closupman said:

my truck did the same thing at 30mph no warning nothing towed it home about a month ago not throwing any codes but I don't hear the pump kick on with key am I mistaken or would that not cause a code it is a 98.5 24 v ? any suggestions as to where to look firstly?Thanks I will be following trying to learn lol 

Have you put a scanner on it to check for codes? 

yes I did and there were none Thank you

since I do not hear the lift pump when key is turned on is that telling me something? always heard it humm prior to this episode

a relay maybe or would that throw a code?

truck cranks just fine

Edited by closupman

Is your truck stock? Stock there will not be a relay for the lift pump. There is a relay in the PDC for the VP.  Swap it for the horn relay or any other that works and see if that helps. The prime of the lift pump at key on is ECM controlled. Does your WTS light come at key on? If its warm out it is only lit briefly so you have to watch closely.