• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ac Delco ball joints and drag link here along with NAPA trac bar and TRE. My Spicer ball joints lasted a whole 12k. I won't use that junk again. I have a pair of their axle joints laying on the shelf and I'm scared to put them in. I'll probably sell them.

• Owner
19 minutes ago, dave110 said:

My Spicer ball joints lasted a whole 12k. I won't use that junk again.

Why not? That was Dodge OEM parts.

Oh, that's right OEM isn't what it was 17 years ago. :shifty:

20 minutes ago, dave110 said:

I have a pair of their axle joints laying on the shelf and I'm scared to put them in.

I would. Winter is coming and 4WD usage will go up and sucks to do these in the cold.

Nothing is, not even me. 20 years ago for mine.

Mine are not bad yet. I bought these when I did the ball joints the first time figuring while I'm in there anyway. Originals are still good but when I go to replace them I think I'll e-bay the Spicers and get some Delcos. That stuff seems to be holding up well for me.

Fire wood heated garage. No more freezing this guys a** off :woot:. Been there done that.

Edited by dave110

I think you'd do good with those. Mine are doing well but I don't have a ton of miles on them  either. Rock Auto buys closeouts and bulk deals and gets better pricing that way. I've already bought struts from them that said unmarked package or something like that and when I opened the plain box there were NAPA pro's inside.

Tie rods are in, trackbar replaced, and things keep piling up.

I have to keep and eye on the tierod, its doesnt have the curve my stock one had, and seems to get real close to the diff. Cover.

Does anyone know if the bilstein 5100 stabilizer will fit the second gen dodge? It looks just like the one I pulled off my truck today. Its attached differently compared to my dad's 99, his is u-bolted to the tierod, while mine goes into it.

Also, the shaft coming from the steering box to the pitman arm is loose, which probably means I'm going to be doing the redhead quicker than I wanted. 

When I do that, should I get the steering brace also?

This sucks, my front end will literally be torn apart and rebuilt by the time I'm done.(axel seals and ball joints next, plus front brakes.) No oversized tires, no crazy driving or off roading, just a piece of crap front end prone to failure, and a hole in my wallet:spend::broke:

• Like 1

I'll agree that the steering isnt the best design.  But for 244 k its survived. It's just now time to do maintenance. 

I'm not huge on the steering brace. It may or may not help but it definitely will not keep the frame from flexing. Might just be money and no benefit. Some say they work amazing. But so is mine with no brace at 312k.

Keep in mind the front of truck and engine then steering box on the middle.  Whatever flex is there is already being faught in front and behind the box.

New parts most likely wont take the truck to 488k because they're junk these days but they will go along time.

Youl probly suck all the oil off the air filter though. Lol. Joking

• Like 1

• Owner
On 9/13/2019 at 11:15 PM, Evan said:

I'm not huge on the steering brace. It may or may not help but it definitely will not keep the frame from flexing. Might just be money and no benefit. Some say they work amazing. But so is mine with no brace at 312k.

Never had a brace... Never had any steering issues. 

• 1 month later...

Tie rods done, ball joints done, front u joints and brakes done. I still need to do the axel seal on passenger side. I have the seal, but it doesnt look like the original one in there. And the one I looked at on torque kings website (the whole kit) looks smaller than what napa gave me. Has anyone replaced there seal with a napa one and was it just different looking than stock?

Also the powersteering pump is leaking l, and I'm not sure from what fitting or if its between the vacuum and steering pump. Would it be best to just replace the whole pump, or reseal it?

I bet your trucks driving much better . Always feels good to make it nice again.

You might do a vacumn seal kit and replace steering pump in one wack if truck has alot of miles.

I'm not sure I'd mess with rebuilding a steering pump 

I did my vacumn seal and didnt put a new pump on now I'm dumping atf in my pump ever couple hundred miles. 

Check to make sure it's not hose or fitting that's easily fixable if it is in fact the pump that's leaking upgrade it 

https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/800328/

Edited by Evan

On 10/28/2019 at 1:49 PM, Alexio Auditore said:

Also the powersteering pump is leaking l, and I'm not sure from what fitting or if its between the vacuum and steering pump. Would it be best to just replace the whole pump, or reseal it?

If pump is still working, personally I would buy a reseal kit for vacuum and steering pump and do it myself, as quality of reman stuff is crap anymore. 

https://www.fixinrams.com/seal-kit12-section.html

He has starter rebuild kits also, I got all my stuff from him.