• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cellphone service at home

• Owner

I now have cell service at home. I found a refurbished Verizon Network Extender for a whole $70 bucks on Amazon. I figure it would be a good experiment. After getting the box yesterday and then no manual. You have to call Verizon to register the unit. Once done then the unit will take close to 1 hour to setup after plugging in. It need to be near a window for the GPS location for E911 calls. My unit happens to be a Samsung that is 3G signal. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075TF8B32

Very surprised after the hour I've got cell coverage at home now with 3G signal. I'll report back more when I've used it more. 

• Like 2

• Owner

I was checking signal strength it stretches out into my neighbors yard I've still got 3 bars after reaching fence on the north side. 

Testing by sending SMS messages from my 740 number to my 315 number. Yup works fine. Send at SMS to friend in Ontario. Yup works. Now tried Mom's TracFone (AT&T) no dice. Seems it has to be Verizon customers.

More to come.

• Owner

Ok. I've done some range measurements. I can walk from fence to fence north to south and keep at least 2 bars of signal on the entire property. I did this with a active phone call last night and was sure surprised. Audio quality is excellent still. No difference in a phone call at all. 

Now done some tweaking to my Ubuntu Linux added KDE Connect to my PCs and GC Connect on my cellphone now I can do all the text messaging from a true keyboard. All new messages show up on the screen or if the phone rings it shows on the screen too. This makes it so I can leave my phone on the charger and still use the PC to control the phone.

This con now be reversed too the phone can be used to control the PC. Not done much this way but I'll play with it. 

The cellphone controls on the right. 

Screenshot from 2019-07-28 08-47-41.png

Verizon Network extender on the left and the Frontier Communications DSL box on the right.

DSCF4606.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
1 minute ago, Royal Squire said:

Did you have any cell service before adding the network extender?

ZERO. There is cell tower 25 miles to the south of me (New Meadows, ID) and 15 mile to the north of me (Riggins, ID). But ZERO cell coverage here at home. Now have 3G service at home and cellphone works fine. Text messaging people all morning and made a few phone calls last night. Wonderful little unit. 

• Owner

As of about 3 hours ago. This Samsung Network Extender quit. 

I managed to get 24 hours of service from it and then now its stuck trying to get a GPS signal again for E911 calls and drop the cell signal. I called Verizon they are going to do a full replacement of the unit and upgrade to 4G network extender because they plan on making this unit obsolete. Ships Monday morning and should be here Wednesday. 

315 number is down for the time. 

• Sad 1

Ive had REALLY poor luck with those things.    

I prefer the google FI choice of the phone using a combo of WIFI / Sprint / Tmobile / us cellular depending on what is around.it works really slick and since it is all VOIP it can jump between any of the above when needed.

IE it has wifi calling built into the foundation of the network.

• Owner

Network extenders are really common down here. There is at least 4 or 5 places I know that have the extenders and work rather well. I can stop out if front of the these homes along the highway and place phone calls. 

My mistake was I bought a refurbished unit that had issues still. Verizon Tech Support sent the new unit 4G Samsung to replace the old obsolete unit. Verizon informed me that 3G unit will be pulled from service very soon like the end of the year. I would had to upgrade anyways. 

The 3G Samsung worked really good providing signal across my entire yard. Worked really well. Just for some reason the unit would kick out and re-start training for internet signal and GPS signal all over. Taking up to 2 hours to come back on line. 

The new 4G unit came with a GPS extension cord so I could get the GPS head to the east side of the building and now have at least 6 GPS satellites. Just in the time to type this the unit is setup and complete. 4G signal and functional.

• Owner

So far this new 4G Samsung unit is working awesome. I just had a client show up to make a parts payment for dual disk clutch and tuner. Just in the mere 15 minutes he was here his phone rang twice which blew him away. Wonder how could he get cell service way out here. I showed him the unit and he's been considering buying one as well for his home business. 

So far since I set up both units on a table and in the window both WiFi and 4G cell service spans the yard nicely now.  Frontier DSL internet on the left and the Samsung / Verizon Network Extender on the right.

DSCF4607.JPG

DSCF4608.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man