• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AUTO TRANS SYMPTOMS

the bands is something i have read a lot on and still have some confusion... I did adjust 10k ago or so and felt like i started this low throttle low gear shift issue, which the TV cable seemed to help.

It's not crazy firm shifts, it feels good to me

Forgot to mention it shifts 1-2 WOT @ 2800+ rpm 2-3 seemed to hit 3k

I almost felt like it DID down shift when coming to a stop today. (more so than ever before)

I'll research the solenoid and transducer...:thumbup2:

I need to know what the difference in loose bands vs. tight band symptoms???

If you're at 2800 on your WOT 1-2 shift, and it feels good, then leave it alone. 3K for the WOT 2-3 is about right as well. I'd leave it alone, but definitely adjust your bands if you haven't done so already. Assuming that your transmission is stock, I'd run the front band at 2 turns out, and the rear band at 3 turns out.

Don't be messing with the TV lever stop. That's not an adjustment that needs to be messed with except for when setting up the valve body. Yes, I do have specs that I use, but it depends entirely upon the application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/4/2019 at 4:15 PM, Evan said:

It may firm shift under light throttle.

Putting a gauge on it would determine if it's a healthy tranny. I'm guessing that it is since it firm shifts.

You might readjust bands though it sounds like. good.

You can do a Borg Warner solenoid. And tranducer.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201295614242

This kit has many parts to it. I wonder if I can install them all easily...:think:

I wonder if it ain't broken don't fix it...:think:

I wonder if it could run much better with a couple new do-hickies installed...:think:

Assuming my transmission is still happy at 193k miles. (Still curious about the low throttle 1-2 stumble, after a drive yesterday, WIP) What are opinions on what to change/upgrade at my next service?

Any schooling :smart: and elaboration on how these effect my transmission is most welcome.

Also as i browse, I see mentioning of some things being easier vs harder to get to in there.

$103 for georend pan to ship to Hawaii...$334 total :cry: Is it worth it? (cant find much else for much cheaper at that quality)

I can get a stock one with a drain plug for $33 shipped...tempting (assuming trans pans main benefit is cooling maybe there's a better $ way to cool it.? Maybe get a Temp. bung welded on it..) I mean at this point I dont tow, just a DD. I ramble...

Irie

I got my ppe blemished pan off ebay for 120.

Dynamic 

I have searched and found nothing on where to set TV stop not for any application.  I guess I need to search harder. I dont have 47re manul and grew tired of it. I thought i had TV stop where i wanted but now i notice some early downshifts I'm thinking raise minumum tv pressure slightly will make downshifts happen later. I dont want to tighten cable because it's right where i want it.

However i did thinkin about making arm longer to take up slack and still pull close to linear with throttle input. Maybe ad a few balls on the arm 1/2" apart from eachother 

I think to much. 

I'm getting close to 15k on it since i last had the pan off. Pretty happy with it but it can always be better

1 hour ago, Evan said:

I got my ppe blemished pan off ebay for 120.

Dynamic 

I have searched and found nothing on where to set TV stop not for any application.  I guess I need to search harder. I dont have 47re manul and grew tired of it. I thought i had TV stop where i wanted but now i notice some early downshifts I'm thinking raise minumum tv pressure slightly will make downshifts happen later. I dont want to tighten cable because it's right where i want it.

However i did thinkin about making arm longer to take up slack and still pull close to linear with throttle input. Maybe ad a few balls on the arm 1/2" apart from eachother 

I think to much. 

I'm getting close to 15k on it since i last had the pan off. Pretty happy with it but it can always be better

I have been researching the TV cable adjustment too and haven't really found anything crystal clear.  I adjusted mine when I rebuilt and didn't really have a clue what I was doing but it seems to be good.  It would be nice to have a good tutorial though. 

Luckily I know nothing about automatic transmission other than it works off pressure. 

On older gm 350 and 400 I messed with, all I did was pull the clip for TV cable then press throttle all the way and locked in the clip. Worked fine for what I did, which was bit the crap out of it mudding.  

The only time the TV lever stop is doing anything at all is when the throttle is at minimum; ie. foot off the accelerator. You should not be getting downshifts with your foot off of the throttle, unless you're talking about rolling to a stop. But like I said before, the TV lever stop is not intended to be an adjustment that can be fine tuned. You just set it when setting up the valve body, and leave it alone. Any "specs" for setting the TV lever stop will likely be difficult to obtain.

Neither the 350 or 400 used a TV cable, so there is no correlation there whatsoever. The 700R4 used a TV cable, but the setting procedure is completely different.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dynamic said:

Neither the 350 or 400 used a TV cable, so there is no correlation there whatsoever. The 700R4 used a TV cable, but the setting procedure is completely different

I was probably talking about kickdown cable,  tells you how much I know about automatic transmissions.

18 hours ago, Dynamic said:

In my experience and opinion, the main benefit of an aluminum pan is to strengthen the case.

From Georend website FAQ:

5.     The sides of our pan are NOT ribbed for strength. If you hit a rock or something else we want the transmission pan to break away. Pans that are excessively beefed up on the side may not break and you may break your transmission case instead. It is much easier and cheaper to replace the transmission pan than the transmission case.

After looking at kits and kits and trying to see what parts can be changed rather easily or are most important, it would seem the governor pressure solenoid is the main component to improve feel of transmission. In some kits you may get a speed sensor, 8pin dual pack shift sensor, governor pressure sensor, accumulator spring.

My reading leads me to believe most other parts might throw a code or have a failure moment the would be noticeable, whereas the pressure solenoid is a part that can function but might not be strong enough to do its job well.

What are opinions on the Borg Warner governor pressure solenoid VS that GM retrofit part?

What is a good reusable trans pan gasket?

• Staff
11 hours ago, dripley said:

I believe @Dynamic means is strengthens the case during normal operation and not from impacts with rocks or whatever.

I invision the trans case possibly twisting tweeking under load and the trans pan helps stop that stress on the trans case.

12 hours ago, dripley said:

I believe @Dynamic means is strengthens the case during normal operation and not from impacts with rocks or whatever.

Yes, this. The 47RE case is actually quite flimsy. An aluminum pan stiffens the case considerably. The quote from Goerend's website is referencing direct impact from rocks or whatever.

20 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I was probably talking about kickdown cable,  tells you how much I know about automatic transmissions.

Just for reference, the 350 used a detent ("kickdown") cable, the 400 used no cable at all (electric), and the 700R4 used an actual TV cable.

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2019 at 9:31 PM, Irie808 said:

This kit has many parts to it. I wonder if I can install them all easily...:think:

I wonder if it ain't broken don't fix it...:think:

I wonder if it could run much better with a couple new do-hickies installed...:think:

Assuming my transmission is still happy at 193k miles. (Still curious about the low throttle 1-2 stumble, after a drive yesterday, WIP) What are opinions on what to change/upgrade at my next service?

Any schooling :smart: and elaboration on how these effect my transmission is most welcome.

Also as i browse, I see mentioning of some things being easier vs harder to get to in there.

$103 for georend pan to ship to Hawaii...$334 total :cry: Is it worth it? (cant find much else for much cheaper at that quality)

I can get a stock one with a drain plug for $33 shipped...tempting (assuming trans pans main benefit is cooling maybe there's a better $ way to cool it.? Maybe get a Temp. bung welded on it..) I mean at this point I dont tow, just a DD. I ramble...

Irie

I dispair sometimes on shipping cost to the UK so know where you're coming from, trans pan for me would be around £400 landed at my door. Missed one used on ebay uk last month for £145. I was £2 short ?