• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re Trans Service Tips and Tricks

It might be okay to assume triple disc with a 7000 tranny. 

I kinda like the 47re now if the need ever arises I'll to a triple disc and shaft. And possibly buy valve body since mine isnt recomended for a triple now.

Dynamic. 

No shuddering I'm aware on my current single disc  tranny shuddering and slipping was occurring with the tranny before having it rebuilt . Both locked or unlocked 

Edited by Evan

• Staff

Update: well its an unusually cool weekend for August and so I have the pan and filter off with it draining all nite. What a mess without a drain plug BTW. I had to get a more expensive inch pounds Torque wrench since a little deeper search revealed some problems with the mid range brands. I ended up getting a CDI made by Snap On. Very nice wrench with close accuracy.

Now I'm scared to adjust the bands.... is it something that has to be done even though my trans does perform well?

• Staff

Okay.... got the specs and procedure for adjusting the bands. I'm thinking you must hold the torx adjusting screw when tightening the lock nut to the specified ft lbs. So I have to assume you get the lock nut snug with a wrench in order to have access and hold the adjusting screw. Once it is snug you can put the foot pounds wrench/ socket over the lock nut and turn to the correct foot pounds without worry of turning the adjusting screw. Is that correct?

Edited by JAG1

Loosen the locknut so that the adjustment screw can be turned.  Tighten adjustment screw to the specified in/lb.  Then back off the adjustment screw the specified amount of turns.  Then hold the adjustment screw at that position while snugging the locknut.  Then tighten the locknut to specified torque.

Edited by Bullet
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

That's what I did except I did it twice to make sure I backed off the rear one 3 times. Could not remember if I counted right. 

The pan and gasket are on with all bolts hand tight. Came in for lunch. I cut off three longer bolts and screwed them in where the pan bolts go and used those as a guide for the gasket and pan to go up and not touch any dirt. Worked very well with the wifey raising up the pan very slow on the floor jack. :thumb1: My shoulders are bad is why, allowed for a painless accurate install.

Need to mention them factory pan bolts are short and only use about half of the threads available. The Goerend bolts use all the threads. Very nice but use a proper torque wrench on the aluminum casing .

Edited by JAG1

49 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Worked very well with the wifey raising up the pan very slow on the floor jack.

Does she have a sister by chance?  I've never met a girl who wanted to be anywhere close to getting her hands dirty...outside of the bedroom anyways. :wink:

• Staff

Nope only brothers. I still had to convince her that the jack came from the motor pool of a princess before she would touch it.

My test drive showed a little quicker response in shifting and no leaks. I was careful to tighten down the pan bolts in 3 stages finally up to the 12 ft. lbs. or 144 inch pounds as per Dynamic.

• Haha 1

CDI are great tools for the money.

Only time I have issues is when the guys leave them set for months on end they have a memory for sure after. You can adjust them to a certain range but loose full scale.

Sometimes we waste more time trying to cal them then they are worth. Have 3 or 4 CDIs that need new spring kits.

When we start doing them again in a few weeks will do a separate post on them if I have time.

And will deff do those 2 husky ones, they alwasy amaze me........ we do 3 checks at 3 points on the tool, they are very acurate compared some other brands. Who knows could be a fluke.

When don't you need adjust bands..... when your OD clutch pack is mostly metals and not too many fibers.....this is my one OD clutch pack...should alternate fiber/metal/repeat......... mine was fried.

20190707_202739.jpg.aec13bd8b5f540a3a21ba350b186a21e.jpg

Edited by Timd32
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bullet said:

Does she have a sister by chance?  I've never met a girl who wanted to be anywhere close to getting her hands dirty...outside of the bedroom anyways. :wink:

Swapped my 6 speec out many years. Had 2 grandsons znd brother help. For some reason we could not get the tranny move the last 1/2" to mate to the motor. We wiggled it, rubbed it, talked nice to it snd cussed it. Out of the blue my wife, all 4'9" of her and her # 4 shoes appears under the and kicks the tranny in the output shaft and bam its mated. :think:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dripley said:

Out of the blue my wife, all 4'9" of her and her # 4 shoes appears under the and kicks the tranny in the output shaft and bam its mated. :think:

Lol...isn't that the same technique that she uses on you? :tease:

• Haha 4

• Staff
2 hours ago, Timd32 said:

CDI are great tools for the money.

Only time I have issues is when the guys leave them set for months on end they have a memory for sure after. You can adjust them to a certain range but loose full scale.

Sometimes we waste more time trying to cal them then they are worth. Have 3 or 4 CDIs that need new spring kits.

When we start doing them again in a few weeks will do a separate post on them if I have time.

And will deff do those 2 husky ones, they alwasy amaze me........ we do 3 checks at 3 points on the tool, they are very acurate compared some other brands. Who knows could be a fluke.

When don't you need adjust bands..... when your OD clutch pack is mostly metals and not too many fibers.....this is my one OD clutch pack...should alternate fiber/metal/repeat......... mine was fried.

20190707_202739.jpg.aec13bd8b5f540a3a21ba350b186a21e.jpg

I'll be interested in the calibration results on brands. Cool, cause that helps a lot of us.

Are those pics from the shop you work at? Also what symptoms did you have and how many miles on it with a worn out overdrive clutch pack?

Thanks Timd32

Nope thats my garage at home. I have a 96' 12v, little over 200k on those.

I pulled out what seemed like handfulls of fiber material, decent chunks on my first attempt to change the fluid, so from there I knew it was just shot.

The previous owner said the trans needed work.... basically the truck was max 50mph was a bad 3 speed. There were a few times when it got stuck in 2nd gear. 

Which actually was fine for me, since I can drive 20miles to work and never hit 50mph, its all back roads amd smaller 2 lane highways, there is no spot where the posted speed limit is at 50.

We still used the 12v for the farm pulling hay wagons from the field to barn, it was still a very useful truck before I pulled the trigger to rebuild. I also have an 18' 2500 gasser which has put the 12v on the back burner, since I have a working truck. Used that for hay this season.

I'm pretty close on finishing the rebuild, have all the main sub-assemblies built up. The one backing plate for the OD was pretty heat soaked so had to order that just got that in.

20190707_162452.jpg.4d130dd56e6fc7a96e35cb7368e8a3cb.jpg

Other self caused / just not enough experience issue I caused...there are 2 sprag roller bearings I thought there was only one had to order those 2 times, the one adapter for my press did not work had to order 2 of those. The kit was supposed to have a sealing ring for one of the Sonnex front accumulator, that was not included, but I tried to dry fit the one they sent, that would up getting stuck in the bore when the smaller ring clipped into the retainer groove, so had to get a new piston....something happened with my pump forget exactly but that had to wait for a 2nd order. Its very hard to buy ALL the snap rings, that took 3 orders. The snap rings take alot of abuse, see post about them breaking, so I wanted to make sure I had all the right ones.

So yeah its been a fun process I enjoy the time in the garage, some days are productive others frustrating when you need another part.

• Staff

Man.... that's amazing to me anyway, that you are doing that much yourself. 

My 01 has 216k on the clock and so dropping the pan yesterday and seeing how clean with only a little bit of metal sludge on the magnet brought my hopes up. It may have been rebuilt at one time because it had 190k on the clock with a large hitch ball in the bed with air bag suspension when I bought it. I guess that is called a 'Goose Neck' for heavy hauling.

I hope IBMobile has the same luck with his trans as he recently pulled the pan and found no excess metal, but his is not locking up on his last trip even using the manual locking switch it won't lock.

On 8/10/2019 at 7:01 AM, Dynamic said:

Band adjustment is arguably the most important maintenance item you can perform on your transmission. Why are you scared to adjust your bands? There are very few things that are simpler than adjusting bands.

Indeed. I have over 60K miles on my tranny since you built it. Changed the fluid & filter every 15K miles like clockwork as well as adjust the bands. I will say though, I like to keep it out of overdrive until I'm over 45 mph because I don't like how it wants to go into OD so soon. Nothing on your end, its just how the 47re behaves. Still waiting on the valve body upgrade, LoL! :whistle2: 

Edited by crf450ish

3 hours ago, Dynamic said:

You replaced ALL of the snap rings?

I gave it my best attempt.

I ordered every snap ring available on Rock Auto for the 47RE, some were duplicated in that they had a OD kit. So I have quite a few left over, then the master kit had some duplicates to that Rock Auto stuff, then I destroyed one of the seals so I had to reorder another $65 Transgo rebuild kit, so that has some extra stuff in it.

There are a few others but here are some.

20190811_141843.jpg.692ef94956f7e411087f0674868b4f56.jpg

I think there was one wire ring on the outside of the OD direct clutch housing, needs 2 the kit only had one, it did not appear to have any weight bearing on that surface was just holding the 2 parts together was very thin wire type retainer so I reused that one.

The rear forward clutch with large Belleville return spring was broken, that came from Goerend they give you 2 sizes and you send one back. Thats why it looks like a "C"

I think it was under $100 for all the extra snap rings, wish they had a master kit for those, but there are a bunch of different types.

20190811_141557.jpg.605b098e909b1805a39cd7623cc82ff2.jpg

5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Man.... that's amazing to me anyway, that you are doing that much yourself. 

Its alot for sure but I did not need the truck. Did a bunch of research, I have a decent work shop at home, figure why not give it a shot, it sure is NOT the less expensive way to do it. Would have been a ton easier to have one built, but it will be mine when done, good or bad, no intention to sugar coat it if it goes south. So far have not cut corners on the build.

Then,,,, I have all the stuff to do my 241LD transfer case, that was also in the cards, but need to get the trans together first. 

Time is never on my side...

I have a 2yr old, one on the way end of Oct, run my own business with 3 partners and 15 employees, do a bunch of volunteer stuff for Habitat, don't think I knew how little time I had to take this on. So little bits at a time it will come together.

• Like 1