• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re Trans Service Tips and Tricks

• Staff
41 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

What about Towing 8000 lb trailer?

With overdrive not engaged the droning noise just drives me nuts.  With od engaged (lower rpm) noise level much  better.  

With od engaged is there excess wear?

X2...I'm all ears.:popcorn:

Edited by JAG1

Oh boy...

Yeah, you really don't need to replace all those snap rings. The only one that is a "must replace" is the one for the OD direct. Those break all the time. It's also not often that I see a Belleville break like that, but it certainly is possible (obviously).

Yeah, I get it for sure was over kill to do all those, that OD snapring takes some serious heat for my .215 backing plate to be that blue. For a while I was not finding much wrong as I was tearing it down, till I found that broken Belleville.

20190811_183505.jpg.329a8197c1a184f7e44098b16cc67569.jpg

I also had the whole OD unit out of sight out of mind for a while while I did the other parts. Thats were all the bad stuff was going on.

Made some good progress today. Got most of my main assemblies back in the case, pump back on and torqued down.

20190811_183318.jpg.6ace0507c79f54ea6e4e6f0b52201dc0.jpg

20190811_183310.jpg.d9e01bcc72164a0339c705e956ef084a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, you can definitely make a case for replacing the wavy snap ring after an OD brake failure if you're staying with a 5 disc stack back there. The rest of them will put up with quite a bit more than they'll ever see.

What band lever are you using in there? Is that a 5.0 48RE lever?

Make sure to get your total end play at about .020".

What valve body mods do you have planned?

• Like 1

I don't think I have extra plates and fibers in the OD it, as I had one set left over they give you enough for a 48RE, I do have the stepped front clutch with the added plate and fiber, (I'm saying that location wrong, but the one backing plate was modified by Goerend)

I think its a 3.8 front band apply lever. I've had it so long forget, bought most of my parts in March of 2018, yeah that ends in an 18.....?

Just going by the part number and description on their site..

Gorend: D73-LSA 3.8 

On the end play yeah I have been thinking that one out, they suggest to only mess with 3 specific items if it's off, they just say no end play, will roll with that suggested .020"

ATSG Reference #, my commentary..

Part #70, #1 Selective Thrust Washer on the back of the pump. (Mine was maybe a fiber washer)

Part #105, #3 Selective Thrust Washer (odd triangle one on the back of the Rear (Forward) clutch.)

Part #179, Intermediate Shaft Selective Spacer. (Back of shaft between OD unit and main Transmission)

My guess here is the last one would be the only one to change as by this point the other two are going to require some "getting into", also I guess at this point I should have wrote down and measured those others prior of that last one does not work, too late for that, but thats a good idea for a tip for someone else. I measured and matched what was in there for the second one, the one behind the pump might have just reused that one? Can check my pile of parts.

Maybe:

"Measure your installed selective thrust washers and write those down, just in case."

Unless that might be overkill, since I did the other mesaurements along the way maybe thats all accounted for...

I have a Goerend Valve Body. I think there is a paper in the box. Has the better GM kit on there, they tuned it for around a 10k or less pull weight, they had a small list of questions and I thought there was a bench test sheet, but might be confused with the TC test sheet. Again been a while going from memory of a phone call had with them.

But yeah Im going to try to get the basic air checks done maybe by Tuesday, I really rely on that ATSG book and Goerend has a nice supplement correcting the issues with that book, then folks like your self who help us common folks out with a wealth of info, it is appreciated for sure..

The 47RE and 48RE (with a few random exceptions) use the same OD brake stack. Some 48's came with 6 discs in the OD brake and single sided discs in the OD direct. Most did not.

If that's a Goerend billet 3.8 lever, you're in good shape.

I typically end up with a .083" 3-tab thrust washer, and a .193" intermediate shaft sleeve, and then whatever washer you need behind the pump to get your end play where you need it; usually a .084" or a .102". If I need more than that, as is often the case, I use Superior shims between the 3-tab and the input shaft. They make them in in .015" and .025". I don't like to go thicker than .102" behind the pump because it moves the sealing rings on the input shaft and stator support farther out of their bores than I like.

I'm glad Dave (Goerend) came out with a supplement to fix some of the misinformation in the ATSG. I have thought of doing that as well, but never had time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the added info. Turns out my new (few months) caliper does not auto shut off,,,, well it does when the  battery dies..

Need a new battery, I usually have a cheap dial caliper but thats at my work shop.

Add that to the list the the "tips" list... keep a spare caliper battery... kinda like a DVMM fuse good like finding one of those local...

I will measure my old parts as I know I put new ones of the same size and have all my old parts.

• Staff

Can anyone tell me the best Transmission Parts house for Oregon. I've heard good about Oregon Performance Transmissions and some bad about Cascade Transmission Parts. I would rather to do business over a greasy counter than online ordering garbage. Thank you.

45 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Can anyone tell me the best Transmission Parts house for Oregon. I've heard good about Oregon Performance Transmissions and some bad about Cascade Transmission Parts. I would rather to do business over a greasy counter than online ordering garbage. Thank you.

What kind of parts are you trying to order? That would be a determining factor for where you would order it from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff
On 8/16/2019 at 6:13 AM, Dynamic said:

What kind of parts are you trying to order? That would be a determining factor for where you would order it from.

Looking for a good parts house with good advice about easy install upgrades. Also need filters and gaskets that Georend recommends. I find that I enjoyed working on my Trans, thanks to your advice on adjusting the bands, I still have another 2nd gen that needs attention. 

Jon, it would be good I do Business with you, but I know how busy you are.

Edited by JAG1

Pretty sure my filter from Goerend is just a stock mopar filter, for my stock pan I went with the reusable factory one, my Goerend pan came with a simple cork gasket.

I have had very good orders from Cascade Transmission, the owner was going thru some health issues last year so he sent some emails explaining that, like an out office reply, it said to just be patient they were short an order picker. I did get an odd bearing in place of a small part, I was letting them know and I sent the bearing back they credited my PayPal and I put a new order in for the part and came in a day or so.

I have some of their specialty tools for the OD unit, worked as expected. Saved some money on those.

Everyone has a different experience but I just ordered from Cascade 2 weeks ago, that .215 backing plate and a sprag clutch, the quality seemed just fine. Similar to the stuff I got from Rock Auto.

RA has good stuff and you can pick your mfg of some stuff. Which is nice.

• Staff

Thanks Timd32, I was wondering about Cascade as they seem to have gotten some bad wraps lately. Good to know they are getting back on track. I like over the counter as questions always seem come up. Especially for the greenhorn I am.

Just pulled the pan off my 02. They used a gasket not as good as Georends. Seemed pretty thin. Maybe why it was leaking so much. Quite a bit more dirt sludge in the bottom  not too bad, even though half the miles of my 01. That's because it hauls my 3200 lbs camper all the time. Next to run for a filter and adjust the bands.

Anyone know how to tell if the shop did do the Governor Pressure Solenoid upgrade? Turned over connector? 

5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I was wondering about Cascade as they seem to have gotten some bad wraps lately.

It's possible for sure, I just order online and stuff shows up, I have never talked to them. So far their stuff has been good.

Some useless math fun......

Just a thought.........From my first order number in 4/4/18 to my last order number the numbers are 2,686 apart, guess 31 days in a month 15 months, it could be avg 5.91 orders a day every day.

So they are pretty steady, and that could just be the online sales, that could be a totally fake number not used for that purpose at all...

If they have a 1/2 of 1% accuracy that means 13ish orders are screwed up over that time,,,,, my guess is it's more that that. So yeah you always hear the bad stories over the good ones.

I have successfully screwed up about that many orders (13) in the same time period and I'm no where near that volume of orders. I probably take that many complaint calls in a 2 day period. Wheres my quote, when is my stuff getting here, you said Tuesday 4 Thursdays ago. Very hard to please all folks but almosy all of them appreciate my efforts.

• Like 1

• Staff

Studying what some of the upgrades look like to see if anything has been changed, even just the simple bigger Borg Warner Governor pressure solenoid and pressure transducer have not been changed. unless changed with factory OEM grade parts, but that's not what I requested. I'm disappointed. I'm glad to be putting together my own trans service kit to make it easier next time around for both trucks. :thumb1:

Timd32 thank you for taking an interest in helping with my learning curve. It terrific. Same to Dynamic and others. 

That video show a GM conversion. They're OK, but not worth the extra money, in my opinion. The Borg HD will do everything that the GM conversion will do, but at 1/3 the price. Besides, the GM conversions use the late model Delphi EPC solenoid out of the 4L60E. I used to run into a ton of those things that would stick in the closed position when they got some miles on them. Many a 4L60E got to come across my bench due to a stuck solenoid (no line pressure rise). While the GM solenoid doesn't control line pressure in the Dodge conversion, it's still the same solenoid, and I've seen them stick in the Dodges, too (no governor pressure rise; no upshift). I'm just not a big fan of them, especially at 3 times the price of a part that has had excellent service, even a very high line pressures.

As for Cascade, if you can get parts from them, count yourselves lucky. I used to spend thousands of dollars buying parts from him. The only problem was that he wanted the tens of thousands of dollars in business that I spent elsewhere. Every time I would talk to him (back when they actually had a phone number and you could talk to someone), he was always trying to convince me that I should bring all of my business to him, and most annoyingly that the Exedy frictions that he carried were superior to everything else on the market (because they were OEM in Honda applications, he would say). I would always politely decline because I have 2 local warehouses that deliver the parts I use (not Exedy, BTW...) twice a day, and that buying from him and waiting 2 days for UPS to bring my order made little business sense. He had some good prices on certain OEM stuff (48RE OD housings, 48RE direct drums, etc.), and that's what I would buy. Over time, I found other sources for that stuff, and I quit using him altogether.

Last year, I had a BMW transmission (one of my personal cars) apart, and needed some frictions for it. Lo and behold, he showed them in stock, and at a good price. I was headed off to SEMA, so I'd be gone for a week, so I ordered them from him. The order was placed online (due to them not having a phone number anymore), and off I went to SEMA for the week. When I got back, I went to put the BMW back together and...no frictions. They showed that they had not even shipped; in fact they showed no activity at all on my account. I checked my credit card and sure enough, they had pulled the funds from me, but no parts. I contacted them (email, no phone...) to hurry this along as I now had a BMW X5 tying up my lift. No response...ever. I eventually had to contest the charges on my card, and get my parts elsewhere. Apparently the fraction of my business that I did with him was not enough, and he kicked me to the curb. Quite disappointing, I would say... Your mileage may vary...

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• Staff

I hear what you saying..... my mileage is the same. Thank you for this. I just had a very similar experience with a fire sprinkler system company. Kept promising me they would get there in about two weeks. waited 3 weeks to find out they weren't coming. Called the county twice to verify if they applied for the required permit as they said they had, but no application was filed. It hurts because insulators and drywallers all trying to keep their schedules open as I need them, Now have to wait even longer to get them all.

Its rotten when people can do this sort of thing too you, me and others. Cascade won't be getting my business.

Dynamic, Thank you. :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

If you need misc, stuff, you can contact me. I'm not really trying to be in the "parts" business, but I deal with that stuff all day long, every single day. I can probably get it for you, or point you in the right direction.

• Like 2

• Staff
1 hour ago, Dynamic said:

If you need misc, stuff, you can contact me. I'm not really trying to be in the "parts" business, but I deal with that stuff all day long, every single day. I can probably get it for you, or point you in the right direction.

Yes Jon, but one of my problems is that by choice I have only one Pacific Pride card plastic type money. Lol, so by check is how I pay all construction bills and others. So I can send a check early, wait till it clears, when you know it's okay then order the parts me?? I think just a big hasell for you, really. I will not do it unless worthwhile to you Jon..... or Purchase order thru Mopar1973 Man and he can make his cut and run them checks/ ride bicycle to the drive up teller.... LOL. 

I need a Heavy duty upgraded Governor Pressure solenoid,  One upgraded pressure Transducer. Also need a pan gasket and anything else you know is beneficial for an 02 long hauler with an RV.

Edited by JAG1