• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thermostat... just a good one

• Owner
12 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Either way, not sure how it can be wrong when the forums are full of failed/improper operating non-Cummins units and I haven't read any of those issues with OEM thermostats. 

Umm... Both Cummins and the new one was dead in the box... Hmmm... But this is NOT a OEM on the left being OEM is on the right. Both are Cummins thermostats. Also people are quick to complain about something but rarely give praise for something that does work. Being I've been using NAPA I've not had one failure YET. All thermostats have worked without an issue. I will give NAPA thermostats some kudo's.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
18 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Umm... Both Cummins and the new one was dead in the box... Hmmm... But this is NOT a OEM on the left being OEM is on the right. Both are Cummins thermostats. Also people are quick to complain about something but rarely give praise for something that does work. Being I've been using NAPA I've not had one failure YET. All thermostats have worked without an issue. I will give NAPA thermostats some kudo's.

Missed that post (back to getting too many emails, and clicked the newest email link), however, did you get a replacement for the new one? Did it look the same? That looks like the wrong part, as it doesn't appear to be designed to work properly with the bypass, which would make it run cold. 

It's easy to tell just from your photos it's not going to work properly. 

Quick search shows other threads where your "NEW" thermostat is the wrong thermostat for the application. So that begs the question, are they mis-packaged or wrong in the parts manual. One thread was 2012 with the exact same thermostat...so it's not a "New" design.. it's the wrong thermostat. 

Same issue as you, running cold... so that's not a failure of the thermostat, that's the wrong part for the application... those are 2 very different things. 

I'd give NAPA praise if their stuff worked... it just never has for me. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

stop arguing ! - geeze!

Think Ill get the Napa OE 190*  Napa # PM-1906245....

Mike what's your Napa Part # in your truck

Dont need the safety one and its a 195*- # SS1956247... It just locks open if you over heat , then is stuck

• Owner

It is the right application just failed. That is the new 2019 thermostat from Cummins. 

13 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Missed that post, however, did you get a replacement for the new one?

That is the new on on the left. Dead and no good. That is for the 2002 ISB Cummins 190F thermostat.

Did it look the same?

No. The right thermostat is the previous Cummins thermostat way different. But the right part and just changed manufactures. Cummins no longer sells the previous version and changed manufactures. He even asked if he could get that same MotorRad thermostat but no longer used by Cummins. Again just because its OEM doesn't mean you get the same part. 

Same issue as you, running cold... so that's not a failure of the thermostat, that's the wrong part for the application...

Umm... 190F thermostat staying cold is not a failure? Doubt that, Cummins thermostat failed to open at the proper temperature period. 

Point is I'm trying to get people to look at the manufacture more so than logo on the box. Being there is only a handful of manufactures of thermostats and these logos like Cummins just buy from one of these. Now if we knew who made the thermostat we could go to the company directly without the logo'ed box. Like there is Gates, Stant, etc. Who made it? 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Quit arguing, and help the OP with the question , Holy Cow !

Mike, what's your Napa thermostat Part # in your truck.

Edited by GSP7

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

It is the right application just failed. That is the new 2019 thermostat from Cummins. 

Just look at it, it's very obviously for a different application. It's not able to close the bypass, hence wrong application. 

You should have enough experience and maintenance know how to realize that, and shouldn't have installed it. 

That is the new on on the left. Dead and no good. That is for the 2002 ISB Cummins 190F thermostat.

It's not new.. I quickly found photos of that EXACT same thermostat from 2012. It was the wrong thermostat for the application in 2012 as well. 

Umm... 190F thermostat staying cold is not a failure? Doubt that, Cummins thermostat failed to open at the proper temperature period. 

Not when it's the wrong thermostat.... 

• Like 1

• Owner
11 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

stop arguing ! - geeze!

Only thing I asking for is to look past the logo. Look at who manufacture the thermostat. Again Cummins and Mopar do not manufacture thermostats. 

11 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

Mike what's your Napa Part # in your truck

375-190 (190F)

and 375-180 (180F)

SS1956247 - Safety Stant only in the 190F series.

Just called the NAPA store for the 3 numbers...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
12 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

Quit arguing, and help the OP with the question , Holy Cow !

It actually is helping with your question. 

Can't help you make an educated decision when you're given information on the wrong thermostat. 

Multiple people have run into the issue Michael did, so it seems that there may be some messed up part numbers in the parts manual that need to be watched out. At the end of the day there still is a Cummins part available. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

It actually is helping with your question. 

No,,,, you are just pissing all over my thread with your childish bull **** ! ...Thanks for screwing up my thread !

10 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

The standard in stock Napa thermostat is Motorad for the 180 or 190. They offer a 190 Safe-T-Stat special order, it is the fail safe type. They also offer a stainless steel one, special order.

OP, Did you read this? Every thing I described is in the Napa link you posted. Click on all four units that fit your truck and read the specs and make a choice. The info is all there.

• Like 1

• Staff
13 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

No,,,, you are just pissing all over my thread with your childish bull **** ! ...Thanks for screwing up my thread !

You wanted information on a good reliable brand of thermostat, and now that’s pissing on your thread :doh:

This is all thermostat discussion on what’s good, what’s not, and what’s correct.  It’s not even off topic at all, but feel free to react this way. 

Sorry if you’re taking it as anything else, but really it is all here to help you and anyone who searches for the info in the future. 

• Like 1

Lol...I've been in debates about important stuff like turbos, torque converters, injectors, electronics, suspension parts and fuel pumps...and I'm pretty particular about that stuff.  But never have argued over a thermostat.  It's a freakin thermostat...it either works or it doesn't.  I've had some that have stuck before after many years of use.  I don't even think twice about it...I just go buy another one and slap it in.

My last one is from Napa because I know and like the people that work there...no other reason.  If by chance I would have purchased it from a different company instead...no sleep would have been lost since. 

• Like 1

One thing I have for sure learned here is there are differing opinions on some things. And yes down to even a t stat. No one is definitely wrong just differing opinions. I have run both the Cummins and the aftermarket with good results. How much money you spend is up to you.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've put ~25,000 miles on my Stant XACTstat 49212.  I wanted to try a 200 degree thermostat so bought one for a later-model Ram. $14 on Amazon.  Considering my truck is an automatic, it may have been a poor choice for someone who tows heavy (transmission is cooled by the engine coolant).  I run fairly light.  If I was to hook onto a man-sized load, I'd swap the thermostat to a 180 just to help cool the transmission more.  The XACTstat I have DOES have a wide swing, noticable on the gauge and with my OBDLink I can see it goes to nearly 210 sometimes - but not all the time, and conveniently, not when it's hot outside!  It goes to maybe 206 when it's hot out before it cycles open again.  These observations are from several hundred mile trips running to Oklahoma or Minnesota from Kansas City in all types of weather.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:30 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Samething my Gates 200*F thermostat did. But the drop would swing back to 180*F before it closed. 

That is a big swing.  My current Napa 200° opens right at 200° and kicks it back to 190°.  Never seen it outside that range after first opening. 

I've had great results with Gates thermostats. Very little cycling in temperature. Stant on the other hand, I've had wild temperature swings.

On 9/7/2019 at 6:30 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Samething my Gates 200*F thermostat did. But the drop would swing back to 180*F before it closed. 

My Stant acted like this. Never the Gates. There might be more than one model of the same brand though. 

• Like 1