• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have had the itch to trade up to a newer model but after talking to several owners of different brands, most say just keep what I have and sink a little money into the 2001.

2001 automatic, HY35, 4.10, 119,000 miles. Driven 10,000 miles a year and retirement coming in a couple of years.

Here is my plan so shoot holes in it.

BHAF, gated HX40 turbo, 4" exhaust, 75 HP DAP sticks, re-build transmission. I have a Edge Juice with attitude that I might add.

Opinions?

9 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

A quadzilla and 7 x .010 injectors and a newer style turbo.  the hx40 is a OLD turbo design.  If you want to keep it on the cheap a HE351cw

Thanks, i'm planning to move to your state and will need to pass emissions. Will that set-up work for that?

I think I'd do quad ,7x.010 that way you can download a good tune and start somewhere solid. No idea on turbo. The hy35 can work if you turnbuckle the waste gate. But shes screaming I've seen mine hit 38psi.

Set 6 grand aside and do power driven desiel tranny or dynamic.  Might not need all the 6 but youl be close.  

That's a new truck still.  I got mine at 150k it has 307k now

Racing mike to 400 I'm coming from behind 

Edited by Evan

19 minutes ago, Evan said:

Racing mike to 400 I'm coming from behind

I got him about 2 years ago. Will see 500k about March of next year. I'll save both of you a seat at the bar when you get back from the moon.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Egts will be an issue if you tune it to run hard.  You can tune it down and i would think you will be fine, but i would opt for at least a hx35 

You mentioned a newer generation turbo. DAP quoted the Borg Warner s300g 57 65 14 t3 gated hx40 and 7x0.0085 vco sticks. What is considered new technology?

There is many to choose from on the website but I was telling them my use and application, that it has to pass Colorado emissions and has to pull well in the high altitudes. My place is at 9500’.

Thanks again

I personally would not go under 7 x .010's. 7 x .009's if you are really worried, but with good tuning 7 x .010's are normally the best injector choice.    gotta remember that bigger injectors don't always means higher egt and more smoke.   A larger injector with less duration will make the same power and have less heat than a smaller injector and more duration.    PROVIDED your HP goal requires a lot of duration to reach on the smaller injectors.    

That turbo is MUCH newer than the hx40, about 25-30 years newer tech :)  I would choose a 12 cm housing personally, but @dieselautopower would know better.  

I ran all over the rockies towing my 3 horse gooseneck with 7 x .012's and a he351ve and did not have EGT issues. It's all in the tuning.   

Edited by Me78569

k27 can require a bit of work too.  better as drop in for 12v..... but still nothing close to the  newer billet 57mm borg s300.

K27 is slightly better than stock and not more compressor flow than a 57mm s300 (even the old style or he351).  Keep in miond also that the k27 for the dodge were modified from the factory for fitment.  I would not expect one from the car application to do well.

Yes if you are going to do custom tuning and s357 billet then go with 7x.0095 or 7x.010

How heavy are you towing?  I tow 15k on the flat rolling hills with no egt issues with 7x009 hy35 and smarty.

Before turnbuckling the waste gate egts were noticeably higer.

I'll run under 1200 out on flats running 80mph.

But get on pull and I have to drive by the gauge and pedal off temps to stay under 12.5egt.

Towing a 2horse trailer though to 8500ft is no issues  running the speed limit 65 on mtn highways with switch backs. 

No issues either pulling steep grades slow on gravel mtn roads. Under 25mph. I run in 4low.

5 hours ago, Evan said:

How heavy are you towing?  I tow 15k on the flat rolling hills with no egt issues with 7x009 hy35 and smarty.

Before turnbuckling the waste gate egts were noticeably higer.

I'll run under 1200 out on flats running 80mph.

But get on pull and I have to drive by the gauge and pedal off temps to stay under 12.5egt.

Towing a 2horse trailer though to 8500ft is no issues  running the speed limit 65 on mtn highways with switch backs. 

No issues either pulling steep grades slow on gravel mtn roads. Under 25mph. I run in 4low.

Pulling a 9000 plus pound fifth wheel. EGT gets to 1200 really quick if I dont back off.

Turnbuckle waste gate and put quad boost fooler on and I bet youl see reduced egts pulling 9000lb on your current set up.

Before turnbuckle I had to peddle off alot of grades now I can pull most but not all without peddling off egt temps.

Pulling most steeper long grades at 65mph pushing 30plus Boost at 12.5egt sustained.  Before I couldn't sustain 12.5 at all I'd be doing 50 at the top because I had to peddle back.

Turnbuckle your current set up to see if it lowers egts and raises boost. I was skeptical that it would was fairly shocked to see more boost and lower temps together.

That's with smarty and 7x009 injectors.

When if I ever upgrade my turbo I'll probably go non waste gated if possible.

Edited by Evan

• 1 month later...

Well, I ended up with what DAP suggested on both the turbo (S300GX-E 57-65-14) and the injectors (7X.0085) along with the Quadzilla and a Dynamic built transmission. Going to take it on a drive today.

May or may not hook up the Quad for a while.
Appreciate all the advice and suggestions. May be asking about tuning next.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 3:21 PM, Me78569 said:

I passed with 7 x .012's and a quad.  the tuning is key.  

The edge and 75's wouldn't pass emissions.  

they must have changed the parameters of the test, my 01 manual always passed emissions with edge juice attitude (stock setting) and rv275's, running on 35" tires.  i did leave colorado in 2014 though

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR