• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

OEM & Aftermarket

• Staff

Experience with buying 3-4 mechanical lift pumps for a 92 12 valve I had for years showed Cummins sold me the same cheaper part that the auto parts sold and was not the original well made lift pump, only a higher price with better cardboard box to make you think it was better. 

Next run to Cummins revealed a well made, in U.S.A., Vibration damper needed for the 01. Much better built than the aftermarket lighter weight damper available from Dorman. I do not like Dorman quality anyway. 

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Owner

Done some digging and getting closer. 

Robertshaw manufactures that style of thermostat. 

Cummins...

cummins-3946849

Robertshaw 330 series looks almost the same. Commonly used in racing applications still sold through Summit racing.

Related image

Now I'm trying to find a contact information for Robertshaw Automotive division. Then to verify the thermostat Cummins has to Robertshaw number if possible. These thermostats are sold for a mere $20 on Summit. This might be the break where Cummins owners could buy $20 thermostat from Robertshaw WITHOUT the Cummins logo and $40-60 price tag.

On 8/7/2019 at 4:28 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Another one, I was told by Eric @ Vulcan Performance to just call Cummins Dealer and order crossover tubes. OMG! $420 bucks for all 6 connector tubes. I refused to pay the $70 a piece price for Cummins logo'ed crossover tube. I had Eric order the set from his supplier took a huge savings. 

Just few example of wasteful spending just for OEM parts. 

Genuine Bosch tube from DAP $25.00

https://www.dieselautopower.com/bosch-cross-over-fuel-connector-tube-f00zr20002

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Again still WAY CHEAPER than Cummins OEM at $70 dollars a piece. 

Yes, but I think the point of this thread was finding the oem manufactures and buying direct for cheaper. I don't know for a fact, but chances are Bosch makes the tube for Cummins and Mopar. Just helping out.....:thumbup2:

• Like 1

• Owner

Thanks, but kind of late.

I called NAPA locally they claimed they had no listing for a oil cooler gasket. Figures... Most likely a greenhorn parts person.

Mopar dealer and Cummins dealers are the worst for price and have the highest absolute price. Which 99% of the time I'm sure you can buy the very same part for a fraction of the price elsewhere. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Tidbit more.

@mr.obvious did a bit more testing. He put both Cummins old thermostat and the new thermostat in a pan of water and heated. Watching they both open exactly at the specified 190°F as stamped on the thermostat. The problem is when left to cool the new Cummins thermostat is EXTREME slow to close back up taking up to 3 minutes. The old thermostat only took a mere 30 seconds or so. This explains why the the new one is running cold sided. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Not even one month old and failed on my previous post. I'm 90% sure this is a Robertshaw 330 high flow thermostat and produced by Mr. Gasket of all weird companies. 

Just to show this failure is common to split the body from the disc.

48218555d1508873004-new-robert-shaw-ther

Image result for Mr Gasket robertshaw thermostats

Just to show this design is used by Chevy 6.5L Diesels.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MRD385190

NAPA65385-190fortwinstats.jpg

So here we are Cummins does not produce the thermostat. Mr. Gasket does using Robertshaw 330 high flow design. Common to split apart in different applications. Just as @mr.obvious thermostat failed in his 2002 Dodge Cummins. So is it worth the $40 to $60 price tag to find out you have a part not even a Cummins part just reboxed Mr. Gasket. I've call Robertshaw and they do not acknowledge that they sell thermostats. This is when I found the tie to Mr. Gasket who is currently producing. As I said I'm 90% sure of this. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man