• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Damn yellow jackets

dripley

Catching up on yard work today and trimming hedges. Trimming the 2 on the end of the house as I do every year. On the secod one I am going at it and noice a burning sensation my hand and kept going. Then I felt in my shoe. Look at my hand there the sob is pumping venom. I look further and see one on my leg and 4 on shorts stinging the crap out them. I beat a hasty retreat, think I got them off and goin the house. While standing at the kitchen sink I spot 2 more on clothes and pull my shoe off and 2 fly out. So I spend the next 10 minutes hunting yellow jackets and dispatching them. 

The whole time the wife never woke up from her nap. That was good for me because I cant imagine the chaos that would have erupted with her knowinng I brought a gang of pissed of yellow jackets in the house. Fortunate for me also is I learned about 3 months that soapy water will kill them. About 25% dawn and 75% water, kills spiders, ants and weeds too. And it is safe to use on humans. :thumbup2:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Staff

Got stung buy a larger than usual yellow jacket which I later learned was the queen. One sting and my whole lower arm swelled up... I looked like popeye walking around for a day or so.

If it any consolation I got revenge when I pounded and buried 4 big nests last fall with the track hoe.

• Haha 2

Yeah I'm battling a Bald Faced Hornets nest on the house last two nights.

Its 26' up kind a PITA to get to it.

Used pole saw to pop a hole in it tonight they were pretty bent by that.

20190809_065629.jpg.13aeda009caac3e280ef2f7c0bb8d04d.jpg

20190811_190252.jpg.598ed14b49c4412e8b7c7059254da112.jpg

I rigged up a line marker thing to adapt to the cans then put on my pole saw, consept was better then execution. It worked pretty well, but those cans only last like 5-6s then empty, a nest that big needed more then just one can, still dont think I got them all.

20190808_211333.jpg.23684f975f888d76b8276ee0d713096f.jpg

Had a bat in the house the other night, no clue whats going on cant see how that damn thing got in, I did a pretty detailed review and still dont see the entry point.......

20190808_210110.jpg.2e78aacd7e349bb68d31c1830271f87e.jpg

Even tried my thermal camera no signs of a mass infestation. Bottom right are my footprints on the carpet.

IMG_20190808_230249.jpg.fb59dc5a1af860ab965572e244c0614c.jpg

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Got stung buy a larger than usual yellow jacket which I later learned was the queen. One sting and my whole lower arm swelled up... I looked like popeye walking around for a day or so.

If it any consolation I got revenge when I pounded and buried 4 big nests last fall with the track hoe.

They got the best of me this weekend, but next weekend they are mine. I know where the nest is. I stepped on it while trmming the hedge. I will stop by the armory and be prepared for the battle. Nuke em!!

• Owner

Stopped by a friends house yesterday he was showing off his new Kenwood Stereo in his Nissan truck. I had my arm rest on the roof his truck. A hornet landed on my right wrist near my watch I jumped and swiped the hornet right under my watch band. Talk about all hell breaking loose. I was hoping around attempting to unfasten my watch in a huge hurry. Needless to say I got drilled hard core, but he didn't live long either. That was a clue to go home. :shifty:

Im 8 cans into that nest, my latest IR scan shows a pretty dark spot at that roof point, so its saturated really well now, they were pretty bent last night.

I like the videos where folks use no chemicals and just a low powered vacuum. I would try that meathod had they not been so far up on the house.

On the chemical side....

What I have learned is you have maybe 6s-8s of spray time and if you are going to use multiple cans, pull and hold till empty. If you stop near the end of the can and restart it atomizes (if thats a word) pretty bad and it will no longer spray a stream, so in my case being 26+ feet you need all you can get out of the can.

The foam stuff works really well, coats the nest, the stream stuff is longer more direct spray, I always buy more then I need and can always return the unused, it goes fast. But thay nest is really thick so it takes a lot to saturate the thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Timd32 said:

Im 8 cans into that nest, my latest IR scan shows a pretty dark spot at that roof point, so its saturated really well now, they were pretty bent last night.

I like the videos where folks use no chemicals and just a low powered vacuum. I would try that meathod had they not been so far up on the house.

On the chemical side....

What I have learned is you have maybe 6s-8s of spray time and if you are going to use multiple cans, pull and hold till empty. If you stop near the end of the can and restart it atomizes (if thats a word) pretty bad and it will no longer spray a stream, so in my case being 26+ feet you need all you can get out of the can.

The foam stuff works really well, coats the nest, the stream stuff is longer more direct spray, I always buy more then I need and can always return the unused, it goes fast. But thay nest is really thick so it takes a lot to saturate the thing.

Watched a video of a guy flying a drone right outside of the nest.  The wasps kept attacking the drone and getting killed by the props.  Killed thousands of them that way.  Eventually wiped out the nest, probably the coolest part was the camera on the drone caught all the action up close. 

• Haha 1