• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transfer case bolt to brace size help

I notice I seem to be missing the 2 bolts that connect my transfer case to the rubber bumper/frame cross member.

There are 2 Nuts welded on to the rubber bumper bracket. Any help figuring out the size of these bolts so I could just get something at the hardware store?

Thanks

(PS, starting new threads for this kind of questions is fine? just put in correct area i figure?)

Irie,   (starting a new thread is the best thing to do!!!)

here is a picture from the 2001 parts manual.  (you may want to download and look at the 1999 to make sure yours is the same the same, but it is in the chapter called "engine mounting"  It looks like you need an M14x1.25P   (14mm diameter 1.25mm thread pitch) bolt.  I do not know the length, though It might be that the 0.437" measurement is the length.  (that would be about 12mm long)

image.png.deda301a0960c4c3ef61876f086182a4.png

GL   HTH

Hag

Thanks Haggar! I would not have been able to navigate that manual to find that bolt size.

I have questions and not sure if i should be sifting through the forums to find a similar post to attach them to or start a new one.

Think I'll be starting a few new threads soon, thanks again

Well just to report back the size i ended up with was a 3/8 thread and 9/16 hex head with a couple lock washers. Quite different than the M14 specked out in that image or what im finding at ACE is not the same

Got it all locked up and tight down there now

Edited by Irie808

grrr,  Sorry.  Looking back at it.  I bet item 4 is the bracket to transfer case.  It is item 6 you were looking for which is m10x1.5p bolt.   It is very close and would thread together.  (the 3/8 bolt is smaller in diameter than the M10 by about 0.02"  and 16 threads per inch is about 1.58mm pitch.)  So close enough to thread together, but not a uniform tightness.   

When you get a chance put the correct bolt in.  The looseness of the standard bolt in a metric thread will fall out eventually.  (or if you can get above the welded nut, just add another 3/8" nut on top to jam against the welded nut.  That would prevent it backing out.)

HTH

Hag

When I look at that picture and look under my truck it would seem to me they are the same bolt. Or they are showing 2 different bolts that go in to the same location.:think:  Under my truck I see that the referenced bolt (6) goes through the mount that has the rubber bumper and threads into the bracket above with the welded nuts. To me the image above shows 2 different bolts for the same location. I will go grab a couple M10x1.5 bolts and give them a try.

There is another larger weld on nut on the same bracket (only 1 nut on one side of the bracket) also empty but does not connect to anything that i can see :shrug:

Irie