• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dog tracking

A friend passed me on freeway the other day and called to say my trucks dog tracking. Said passenger front was sticking out 6"more than drivers side.

I've never thought I got track bar adjusted perfect so I pulled it in. I'm getting 1/2" off is all. To the passenger side. I just moved it 1/2" to drivers side.

A few years ago I got in and accident that ripped the axle off the leaf springs. Wondering if I didnt get the rear axle back to straight.  I dunno 

Reset steering now tighten track bar.  Possible that crown in the rd pulls front axle to right I was in the slow lane.

Control arm bushings are poly but no way track bar allows it to pull anyways. Just thinking out loud.

20190815_212451.jpg

20190815_212627.jpg

Edited by Evan

Evan,

Pull strings from your rear tires forward.  (probably have to have front tires off.)  This will let you "see" where the rear end angle is in relation to your front suspension.  This should help you visualize if the rear is really out of alignment.

Take a string attached to the truck near the differential pull it across the rear of the tire, it should be long enough to go past the front end.  Start with the string only touching the rear of the tire, slowly move the string towards the truck until it touches the leading edge of the rear tire.   This is a reference line of the outer edge of the rear tire.   Do this also on the other side of the truck.  (you can tie them to jack stands or something.  now you can measure the distance between the strings close to the tires and in front of the truck.  the difference is your rear toe angle.  (they should be parallel or slight toe in.  never toe out on rears)  the center of this rear toe angle relative to the center of your front suspension is your thrust angle.  It should be nearly zero.  This will also show you if you have "parallel offset"  or dog tracking.   (you need to check the body relationship to the suspension relationship also.)

You can do it without removing wheels and just measure from parallel lines on both sides of the vehicle, but you just get measurements.  there is no visual of the strings following the rear wheels to the front.  If something is really wrong it will show up visually really quickly.

Hag

• Like 2

• Staff

When I did my level kit I had to get an adjustable track bar because the axle and wheels were sticking out an inch or so further on the drivers side that the passenger side. After the track bar was properly adjusted it got everything even again. Then had to keep adjusting the steering wheel till I got it back to the 12 o'clock position going straight down the road. I would never do the level kit again because with loads I have to have air bags now. I wasn't worth doing in my humble opinion.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff

Yep I like my other truck that is normal not lifted or leveled. It drives really nice and the wife rather go to diner in it more than her newer Subaru even.

There was a guy in the tire shop the other day trying to afford some 35's. They were big and honkin at us all while we all stared at them.... he was cussin' cause they were so expensive. Here I was parked next to him and he heard my quote and said, Dam, mine are expensive aren't they. I said yep they are fun and cool and everything but hard on the pocket book and the running gear. He says what!? yep hard on the running gear because your placing extra leverage against the transmission/ everything. Engine load is higher too. I was surprised he didn't want to kick my ash right there, but he was cool about it. 

Sorry about pushing original topic aside. :ashamed:

Edited by JAG1

Ok Mike haha

I'll try the string method. See what happens. 

My my truck is about 1.5" taller in the rear with the 2" leveling kit installed.  Rides like a caddy with 2k centers behind the cab  the goosekneck just barely makes it touch the overload. 

I put just enough weight on the truck but leave most of it on the trailer axles. 

The bumper pull does push the rear just under level.

I'm actually with welder on board at about stock height. It sags front and rear about 1" I measured. Was surprised it put the front down the same as the rear.

20190816_121204.jpg

• Like 1