• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Finally upgraded my OBA.

I had been running a Vixen air horn setup, consisted of the horn and a little 1.5 gallon tank with a built in compressor.  I put a T-fitting on the line so I could use it to air up tires on occasion.  That little compressor finally crapped out.  The motor still works but the bearing in the connecting rod of the compressor is nothing but dust and ball bearings now.  I did a little research and learned about compressor duty cycles and decided to go with a new Viair 450C compressor which has a 100% duty cycle.  I also got a new 5 gallon air tank so I woudn't spend as much time waiting for the little one to fill.  It's probably a little overkill for my needs but the 450C was only a few dollars more than the lower models.  I still need to run a heavier power wire as this unit draws more power than the littler one but I hooked it up temporarily to make sure everything works. 

compresorandtank.png

17 minutes ago, Evan said:

Looks awesome.  Can you run a 1/2" impact off that?

40 minutes ago, Sycostang67 said:

I had been running a Vixen air horn setup, consisted of the horn and a little 1.5 gallon tank with a built in compressor.  I put a T-fitting on the line so I could use it to air up tires on occasion.  That little compressor finally crapped out.  The motor still works but the bearing in the connecting rod of the compressor is nothing but dust and ball bearings now.  I did a little research and learned about compressor duty cycles and decided to go with a new Viair 450C compressor which has a 100% duty cycle.  I also got a new 5 gallon air tank so I woudn't spend as much time waiting for the little one to fill.  It's probably a little overkill for my needs but the 450C was only a few dollars more than the lower models.  I still need to run a heavier power wire as this unit draws more power than the littler one but I hooked it up temporarily to make sure everything works. 

compresorandtank.png

I am running I think a 540C viair. it finally took a dump, there are rebuild kit that are not expensive and rebuilt it and works great again. I ran a air quick connect to the rear of the truck and it runs the air horns.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ed ke6bnl said:

I am running I think a 540C viair. it finally took a dump, there are rebuild kit that are not expensive and rebuilt it and works great again. I ran a air quick connect to the rear of the truck and it runs the air horns.

Thats good to know, will be nice to not have to replace if it dies.

34 minutes ago, Evan said:

Looks awesome.  Can you run a 1/2" impact off that?

I believe so, a lot of the reviews I read were from guys running it with a 5 gallon tank for air tool use.  I honestly need a better air impact, my 20v dewalt has more torque than my air gun. 

1 minute ago, 015point9 said:

I'm thinking about vair also...fill up any tires yet?  My old cheap air pump had to run long time to fill up a tire,  worked ok on air bags but higher psi worked pump hard.

Not yet, but I imagine it should do better than the little vixen pump.  I tried to fill a tire on an Excursion with that tiny thing and after 20 minutes I pulled the air hose from the garage off my big compressor.  It was great for little tires and was certainly better than nothing if you were in a bind.  I did need it to fill a tire on a 55 chevy truck so I could load it on my trailer in the middle of nowhere.  I feel much better about this new setup though. 

9 hours ago, Sycostang67 said:

Thats good to know, will be nice to not have to replace if it dies.

I believe so, a lot of the reviews I read were from guys running it with a 5 gallon tank for air tool use.  I honestly need a better air impact, my 20v dewalt has more torque than my air gun. 

I do not think it will run a spinning air tool or for just a half of a minute. BUT I carry a small Co2 bottle with regulator for that and tires. and use the oba for the air bags and blowing things off and air horns.