• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Death wobble is found in even other vehicles

• Owner

Salmon River Rural Fire Dept got a upgraded fire truck. 

20190818_122022.jpg

This is a Oshkosh from a military base. Powered by a Cummins Big Cam 400. Strange enough right around the 40 to 45 MPH speed this beast get a death wobble pretty good. The fire chief and I took it into town to load it with water and see if water weight helps. Kind of but still there. The driver side tie rod end is rather sloppy (possibly) and the tire is cupping on the inside from possibly being toed out. I suggested on just replacing both and if any slack is found and have it aligned up again. 

Beyond the fact is a military fire truck this thing is set up rather weird where the cab is a wide one row of seating and the driver is the second seat in on the driver side. We are currently working to get this put together for our local fire dept. Awesome truck and has plenty of power to haul 1,000 gallons of water and climb our steep canyon grades. 

I had a death wobble on a loaded Peterbilt from the tag axle.  Going around

on ramp to I-84 about 20 MPH and I happened to glance in the mirror and see a bit of wobble on that axle and about that time it let loose.  I would never have believed it could shake a semi tractor so hard I nearly banged my head into the side window.  Stopped an picked tag up, called dispatcher to tell him what happened and let him know I will haul this load because I know how to get around the scale and then I am coming straight to the shop.   Turns out shop had been working on this problem and that's why I was in it instead of a regular.  They  knew I would handle it OK.  Just wish someone had warned me.  I never did find out what fixed it but I drove this same rig at one point again with no trouble.

Jeeps have the same steering as our trucks but I'm sure have got rid of it. Same as the new 08.5 steering 

A stabalizer will fix nothing

I'd look at axle mounts and see if that trucks axle is shifted.  I'm assuming its leaf sprung.  Is it

If so theres a potential it walked a fair amount

I've seen trucks with no abnormal where patterns that death wobble.  And drivers who no the certain bump and speed that will make it let lose

Edited by Evan

5 hours ago, Evan said:

Jeeps have the same steering as our trucks but I'm sure have got rid of it. Same as the new 08.5 steering 

A stabalizer will fix nothing

I'd look at axle mounts and see if that trucks axle is shifted.  I'm assuming its leaf sprung.  Is it

If so theres a potential it walked a fair amount

I've seen trucks with no abnormal where patterns that death wobble.  And drivers who no the certain bump and speed that will make it let lose

The article I read was about new Jeeps and under warranty repairs. How wide spread the problem is I dont know.

Edited by dripley

• Staff

Anything with solid steering axle can get death wobble. 

Steering design will impact how prone they are thou. 

My 05 TJ has a little bit of wobble at 48-53, so it’ll probably get all new steering this winter. It has 127K in the OE Stuff. At least it’s not as expensive as the HD trucks! 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Then some of us Dodge wise have NEVER had death wobble. Neither the 96 or 02 Dodge Rams have had a death wobble problem ever. 

Shocking to see a military vehicle of this size to have death wobble as bad as it was. 

As loose as the steering is on my truck I have NEVER had DW either. I have all new or good front end parts, but it's still not what I'd call precise steering. Heck my 67 c-20 with 10.5-31's was way tighter than this truck ever was or will be. I learned to get used to it and it's like normal to me now.

5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

And all along I thought 'Death Wobble' was when a chicken wandered near a Chic-Fil-A restaurant. :stirthepot:

You are crazy! But I love the way you talk.:cheers:

• Thanks 1

I experienced a few times back 6 or 7 years ago on an old set of tires and a worn track bar. New tires stopped it and have not experienced since.

I do remember the first time it did it, I was about to jump out the window. It shook so hard it cleaned out my door pockets. Quite the experience.

6 hours ago, JAG1 said:

And all along I thought 'Death Wobble' was when a chicken wandered near a Chic-Fil-A restaurant. :stirthepot:

The smart ones know which side of town to stay on.

• Haha 1