• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 broke...

• Owner

I'm running a upgrade mainshaft all ready but this is not the typical 5th gear nut issue. Both reverse and 5th both create a huge amount of noise. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are fine. Drove it home the 125 miles at 55 MPH in 4th no issues really. The part that that is concerning if you clutch in and toss it into neutral there is a bangging noise. Then there is something grabbing like attempting to lock up solid. 

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

crack her open and take a look I guess?  or if it is under warranty, time to get on the phone

Warranty long gone. I'm going to get it yanked out and open the tail cover and see what happened. I'm thinking bearing failure possibly.

Now that I've got the shop. I could yank that transmission out pretty quick like in about 2 hours. Worlds of difference being on a two post and laying on garage floor. 

I've already called Weller Truck in Boise and talked to Abe and he's just waiting for the transmission to be pulled and dropped off. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

Transmission is out. 

Clutch is ruined. Where this whole problem stems from is the pilot bearing walked out of the flywheel and was up against the spline part of the input shaft. The input shaft bearing is loose and worn. The hub of the friction disc is damaged. I've got chunks of the friction disc hub springs laying the bottom of the bellhousing. Flywheel is damaged where the pilot bearing was wearing a new groove. Friction disc is just about at the end of life anyways. 

I wasn't able to get one bolt out of the rear cover. I wanted to look in there so bad and see 5th gear damage.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:06 PM, 01cummins4ever said:

I feel your pain, seems to be a bad month for trannys around here. 

I'm not going to drive mine again til the end of August for this reason alone! :thumb1:

Sorry for your misfortune Mike...I've pulled a 4x4 nv4500 before and those cast iron pigs are heavy! 

33 minutes ago, dripley said:

Is the 4500 cast iron?

Yeah buddy...all except for the top cover.  I would estimate by memory up to 300lbs.  I think the nv5600 is closer to 400lbs.

Edited by Bullet

44 minutes ago, Bullet said:

Yeah buddy...all except for the top cover.  I would estimate by memory up to 300lbs.  I think the nv5600 is closer to 400lbs.

Did a little looking and the 4500 is 195 vs 360 for the 56000. Thats why I did not think it was cast iron. I have pulled my 5600 a couple times, it is beast. They are both a beast with out a lift and in a gravel drive way.

1 minute ago, dripley said:

Did a little looking and the 4500 is 195 vs 360 for the 56000. Thats why I did not think it was cast iron. I have pulled my 5600 a couple times, it is beast. They are both a beast with out a lift and in a gravel drive way.

Damn I must be getting old cuz it felt heavier than that.  It is very dense for its physical size. 

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

About 130k miles.

That's pretty good for a stock type clutch disk and your power level. I went with a stage one upgrade when I did mine. It is a little noisy at an idle with gear rollover. It will be interesting to see what the tranny looks like. Picture of my stage one clutch disk (Sachs) and oem flywheel.

downsized_0711021143.jpg

Edited by NIsaacs
Add picture