• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 broke...

• Owner
7 hours ago, Evan said:

When you hit cruise resume does the computer mash the throttle.

Fly by wire not really. It pulls hard not quite a full WOT mash job.

13 hours ago, KATOOM said:

It clearly sounds like you need to mellow out your tune

Only 1,700 microseconds of wire tap. Most of the magic is the steeper timing curve I'm running pushing the power band up in the 2,500 realm of the tach. Needless to say I still think think the input shaft has a bit of say in this too. This is another reason I've keep the small tires and the tune was very capable of lighting the tires up. 

• Like 2

Its your truck Mike but I'm wondering why you're "upgrading" your clutch and rebuilding the transmission.  You clearly are making too much power for the 4500 given your driving conditions.  Why ask to deal with this again in the future?  It cant be cheap to rebuild that tranny so why not put that money towards something stronger? :think:

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 2

• Owner

Need the truck as quickly as possible. Remember Mom requires dialysis every other day. The Cummins is way more efficient that the half ton. Not to mention I need the truck for towing trailers and moving stuff that is just too heavy for the half ton. I use about 600 in fuel per month.

As for the clutch between the two I just needed to add $20 for the upgrade. Why not?

Personally I think the trans will hold up fine. It was the pilot bearing that created the issue. Since the input shaft goes to the counter shaft it built up some free play and the teeth where just on the tips and the torque did its just and broke them off. This was a reason I went down a tire size to to reduce torque stress. But I never knew the pilot bearing fell out. Lot of unseen problems that contributed to the failure.

20190830_143644.jpg

We might just have to revisit the fact of the main shaft I broke with Edge Comp and +50 HP injectors. Too much power? Just for Edge Comp and +50 HP injectors to break the main shaft.

Image result for mopar1973man main shaft

Heck I might as well go back to stock and by a Ford then huh?

Edited by Mopar1973Man

We obviously dont agree but based on the pictures and information I've seen so far, I do not believe the pilot walked out of the flywheel on its own.  I think it was drawn out by the wiggling input shaft from internal problems, especially since it looks like its still intact sitting on the input shaft in one of your previous pictures.

But no matter, lets just hope things hold up for you this time around...

And hope your mom is doing better too... :thumb1:

• Like 4

• Staff

just my 0.02, but I compleatly agree with @KATOOM. You have another rig to get thru, so put something in you won't break. Or limit yourself on power.. don't go DD on the clutch, step down to a OHD and enjoy 350 rwhp, as that's still plenty of fun in a 7Klb truck. You are using your need of the truck as reasoning to go with the NV4500 again, but you're putting in a setup that hasn't proven as reliable for you current power. Something has to change. 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As for the clutch between the two I just needed to add $20 for the upgrade. Why not?

Because then it's easy to tell yourself that a few more hp won't hurt, and you have the clutch to hold it. You now have solidified that the NV4500 is your weakest link, once that's not cheap or easy to fix... as you well know. Besides that DD suck to drive lots of miles in, it's just not worth it. 

I've been reading a bit about NV4500 failures, and what you did to 5th gear is not uncommon at your power levels, and sometimes even lower power than you have. It's not nearly as strong of transmission as I thought it was. 

Your small tires are likely also harder on the trans than larger ones, since they break traction so easily. It's not breaking traction that's hard, but as soon as you grab traction again you shock-load the gears and the NV4500 houses the weakest gears in the truck. Just light slip-traction-slip-traction is very hard on gears. Larger tires that don't break traction so easily will not have that effect. 

At the end of the day you're just pushing the limits of that transmission. 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally I think the trans will hold up fine.

Do you know the definition of Insanity as Albert Einstein said it? 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 3

• Staff
39 minutes ago, 98whitelightnin said:

Mike is just too hard on his truck and now his tires are too small!:lmao:

I wouldn't say too small, as they work well for his application, but lower traction is just one of several small factors in pushing his trans to a limit.

No for how I use my truck they would be too small :lmao:

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

No experience with it but I've read of just as many failures of the g56 with higher horsepower as the nv4500.  So I don't know how much of an upgrade that would be.  Plus they are super expensive to fix being that they are made by Mercedes.  And from what I hear the swap isn't exactly a plug and play. 

On 9/5/2019 at 6:07 PM, KATOOM said:

It clearly sounds like you need to mellow out your tune...or put the 4500 aside and get yourself a G56...or both.

I don't know how you guys feel about 'German engineering' but when I hear that phrase I cringe and run away from it.  It might have been good in WW2 but has since been surpassed and even lapped.  I have made 2 major mistakes with vehicles...bought a BMW and bought a Mercedes.  Both were tremendous piles of crap.  Those are mistakes I'll never make again. 

Edited by Bullet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I've been reading a bit about NV4500 failures, and what you did to 5th gear is not uncommon at your power levels, and sometimes even lower power than you have. It's not nearly as strong of transmission as I thought it was. 

GAmes  (TDR) went through 12 of 'em. Running a G-56 now.

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/why-does-my-nv4500-always-die.266177/#post-2580990

Link on his install:

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/221115-Mission-G56-(pictures)?highlight=mission G56

Edited by NIsaacs
add content
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, NIsaacs said:

I think after that many failures and with the amount of work to swap in a g56...I would've built me a 47 or 48 that would have no problem with the power.  Cool looking swap though. 

• Staff
49 minutes ago, Bullet said:

I think after that many failures and with the amount of work to swap in a g56...I would've built me a 47 or 48 that would have no problem with the power.  Cool looking swap though. 

More people going away from 47/48’s than going to them, especially for towing. 

If my 05 had ever needed a trans I would have looked hard at a G56. Not many failures for the sheer number of them on the road, and a higher average lower than any other OE manual trans. 

• Like 1