• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Borg Warner sxe300 62 65 14 turbo :)

I'm getting payed pretty good to build a dump truck. My truck runs prett toasty pulling grades when heavy. Empty wich it is 99% of the time fine.

Running smarty on 9 3 3 7x09 smoky doesnt matter where smarty is set..

Was thinking head studs turbo and 3peice bd manifold in one wack. 7x10 injectors later.

What gateless turbos are available?  I've looked alittle and see delete plates but no turbos built gateless.

My turbo hy35 is making a fluttering sound lately that's a new sound.  Might be rubbing the wheel.  

Or should I love with the higer temps and get some .320 injectors to possibly clean up smoke . Would my temps go up I'd bump up to the 7x10s

I'm not going to do a quad yet. Smarty is working well making very good power. I'd like to get the mechanical side first. I can't blame it entirely on the smoke. I've probly got 50k or more on these 7x09 sac injectors. 

I'll will do a hx40 vband and may fab a 5" down pipe. Been rding up parts to do the down pipe. Probably just by a hx40 pipe. My time lately is scarce to come by. Its spent burning up the freeway 

Thanks for the ideas on this

Edited by Evan

Little hard to read your post, but I think I got the just of it.

Gateless turbo is a bad idea.   The waste gate allows you to run a smaller turbo in a wider part of your powerband without overruning the compressor on the top end.  This is what we want for a diesel truck, we want fast spooling to get torque up where we need it for towing.  

without proper control of fuel and timing bigger injectors = higher temp and more controling egts adn smoke with the right foot.

A large turbo will help top end smoke, but it will not help low end smoke.  low end smoke will get worse as nearly every aftermarket turbo is going to spool slower than an hy35 given the size of it.  

Again a gateless turbo is either going to not reach boost until too late in the rpm band to be useful or you are always going to be overrunning the compressor and risk blowing it up due to overspeed.  The purpose of a wastegate is to allow you to run a turbo that is efficent low in the RPM range so you create useful torque, while being able to bleed exhaust gasses when the engine is running at high RPM to prevent overspeeding the turbo.

Don't run a gateless turbo.  If you want to save money install a he351cw.  

• Like 2

I'm not sure what to do. 62 65 12 is on the small end but quite abit bigger than the hy35.

I have looked at 351 specs. However I think it's a 3.5" outlet. I want a 4" outlet well I think I do. Anyways. 

I think 7x09 and 10 would be plenty to spool a 62 turbo. 

I dunno.  My friends in the hospital now anyways so I'll probly put my money there instead.

7 x .010's are more than enough to spool a 62, it will spool it fast and will overspeed without a wastegate.  you would likely be overspeeding the turbo everytime you went WOT.

that's the issue.   Gateless is a terrible idea.

Running a turnbuckle is the same thing and a bad idea if you want the turbo to live a long happy life.     Issue with using your foot to control things is you nor your foot knows how fast the compressor is spinning. 

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

What's the difference between running a gateless or turn buckle 

Say the gate opens at 30psi. Is this any different than my foot letting off the throttle 

Nother question, under no load 1800rpm the hy35 is making 5psi. I'm assuming a 62 turbo would be even less. 0-3 maybe. I'm I right in assuming that. But may be moving more volume.

What's the race cover? I see it says it but what is it  . I don't see much on smedings website explaining what things are.

There are 3 62 65 14 on ebay. I'm about to pull the tricker.

One thing I do like is this comes with the adapter to run the downpipe I have. Then later I can fab my 5" or drop a hx40 pipe behind it.

Seems my hy35 is making more fluttering noises probly me making it up to sell it to myself.  This will be the first part I've done that was still functioning when I pulled.

Edited by Evan

Yes

Kicked around the 62 68 14 also kicked around 12 over 14.

Decided 65 would be safe and 14 might cool better.

Regardless not sure I could go wrong with any of them .

It may scare me. After reading for a few days 62 65 is supposed to spool fast with 100 150 injectors. 

I'll be very sad if my towing temps go up.

It's also wierd seeing how the smarty was the tuner everyone had to have back then lol.

Everyone loved it. 

I really wanted to save money and get a hx40 or 351 35hybrid but I was like you know what f that I want a new turbo with newer technology.  

In all reality I'd be 700 in get a hybrid built and 500 in buying a hx40 and freshening it up.

The 351 is limited to 3.5" outlet.

When I realized I can buy a 1000 turbo that lots of people love for 700 it was a no brainer and i get to pick the size.

Edited by Evan

Thanks , I hope so.

It's taking 15 years to get to this point I've never spent this much money in one spot. Ohh I guess that's a lie. I've got some money in the fuel system and alot more in the tranny. **** injectors to. Damn got some money in this thing over the years.  

Everyone talks about how easy the 62 65 spools. The axe turbos have good following.

I'll have to start tunning all over again now that I kinda had it figured out.

I never could break 18ish mpg see if the turbo makes better or worse mpg 

How do I know what psi the waste gate is set to open and what kinda psi might I be seeing?

The hy35 will go 33ish with a heavy load towing that's heavy floored and screaming eiery scarey sounds through the cab

Like wtf is that let off the throttle kinda scarey 

I've done hours of reading and the 62 turbos seem to be where it's at for drivable truck with 100-150 injectors.

I'm sure Mike's right and I'll still smoke down low maybe I'll be surprised and smoke less. I'm hoping to run cooler towing. Temps may actually be the same though because it may fuel more and make more power = heat

I cant wait.  Just cleaned her up at the car wash 

Hy has been getting oily

20190904_201504.jpg

20190904_193538.jpg

Ugh now the wait.

20190904_212918.jpg

20190904_212845.jpg

20190904_213206.jpg

Edited by Evan