• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help 24v idling rough.

2230 miles bad injectors. I guess stranger things have happened.

16 hours ago, dripley said:

A leaky return line us not the problem. 

It is if it's leaking. May not be the rough idle problem but should be fixed before it causes another

Edited by dave110
  • Like 1

• Owner

Before tearing out the APPS or even thinking its a APPS issue. Take a live data tool like OBDLink or ScanGauge II and watch the TPS value. Does it float or change when held at a point of throttle? If it wondering or jumping value then I say change the APPS sensor. 

As for the warm engine idle miss that could be a injector that is popping low or bad spray pattern. Still possible as part of this issue.

As for the hold at 1,500 and surge could be a AC noise issue. Either test the alternator on a bench or you could use a DVM and check the AC voltage from the alternator with everything off and the engine idling it should not be above 50mV AC. This only works if you have a DVM with a 2V AC or less setting. AC noise can produce a surge in the ECM signals.

I've gotta ask did you do a W-T ground wire mod? This would resolve the A/C noise problem. 

As for testing the noise...

On 9/6/2019 at 10:27 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Before tearing out the APPS or even thinking its a APPS issue. Take a live data tool like OBDLink or ScanGauge II and watch the TPS value. Does it float or change when held at a point of throttle? If it wondering or jumping value then I say change the APPS sensor.

When held at about 1300rpm its jumping back and forth from 11-11.4 on the absolute throttle position%

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That is steady enough. Not seeing any 0% or 100%  or other wild numbers while held steady right? Then the APPS is good then. 0.4% TPS change is nothing and acceptable.

No nothing wild. I’m starting to lean toward my vp because I noticed last night loud injector clatter coming from the fuel lines from vp to the head. However it’s not throwing any codes still 

• Owner
5 hours ago, Dmann said:

I noticed last night loud injector clatter coming from the fuel lines from vp to the head.

Could be injection pump issue but I'm not going to point that direction yet. 

Now using a live data tool like OBDLink LX or ScanGauge II at key on you want to look at both ECT (coolant temp) and IAT (intake temp) should match. If IAT is lower than normal timing is advanced. If the IAT is higher than normal then the timing will be retarded. Typically at key on the two values match (no block heater). Now during driving, fully warmed up the IAT will be about +40*F over outside temperature. This is just a rule of thumb. ECT should be in the 190 to 200*F range normally fully warmed up. These two temperatures can affect timing.

Then how many miles on the injectors? If the injectors have over 100k miles then the injectors could be popping too low. 293 bar is the bottom limit for injectors according to the Dodge FSM. Just my factory stock injectors at 150k miles where as low as 260 bar, still ran good, fuel mileage was down but still functional. Just because it runs doesn't mean it spraying fuel with a good pattern and atomization could be poor.