• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Second best option for headlights

It's risky business to drive with bad lights, lots of moose and white tails here too. Just couple of days ago friend crashed with whitetail, his Opel's frond end was trashed!!

One question about halogen bulbs! Want to get good quality h1 bulbs, here in Finland we have Phillips and Osram bulbs. I found PIAA bulbs from ebay, quite pricey but how's the quality?? Don't want to use 100w bulbs and melt the housings! I want to avoid leds because they don't produce heat and our weather here in winter is so unpredictable. Light will be covered with ice and snow!

• Owner
21 minutes ago, Finlandese said:

It's risky business to drive with bad lights, lots of moose and white tails here too. Just couple of days ago friend crashed with whitetail, his Opel's frond end was trashed!!

That is why I liked the wider angle of the D2S lens. I've got the same problem lots of early morning and early evening deer and elk. Like last night there was a deer stand right next to the guard rail of the highway. Lot of times they stand right in the road side ditch. With standard headlight this area is very dimly lit with any light. 

Like my 1996 with clear lens headlight and SilverStar halogen have that same stockish problem plenty of light on the highway road edge is will rather dim in light if any at all. This is mostly the poor quality of the headlight housing its self. If I wanted better pattern I would be continuing to change housing till I got a good pattern. Bulb's won't do anything but make it bright in the same pattern since the reflector won't change.  

Edited by Mopar1973Man

On 9/8/2019 at 8:26 PM, Bullet said:

Loving the hood ornament too!  Give us a better look at it...:thumbup2:

A friend of mine accidentally ordered 2 of these so he let me have one.  I'm still not sure if I want to keep it on the truck, I only mounted it to the grill as I need a new one anyhow.  If I decide to pull it off I just slap the new grill on and it's back to normal.  My wife thinks it's a hoot staring at a duck butt while we drive though. 

ducky.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sweet...that sucker is huge!  Let's get it mounted up and see what it looks like.  Being that I'm in Texas I'd like to get a set of real ram horns mounted on my hood...just like all the Cadillacs in the movies have the longhorns mounted on the hood. 

11 hours ago, Bullet said:

Sweet...that sucker is huge!  Let's get it mounted up and see what it looks like.  Being that I'm in Texas I'd like to get a set of real ram horns mounted on my hood...just like all the Cadillacs in the movies have the longhorns mounted on the hood. 

These are not that big but the horns come off. Its not one casting.

20190914_084820.jpg.e823ab958928d62207ffec526b4d0a59.jpg

• Like 1

Oh...I see.  The dreadlocks are not necessarily a bad look.  Makes it look like it should be playing running back in the NFL...or holding up a convenience store with its pants around its thighs.  On second thought...maybe that's a bad idea. :think:

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2019 at 8:15 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Works if there is someone ahead of you but if you live out here where I do it's common to come home night or leave early morning and not see anyone for miles. 

Still an OK way of getting around the lighting issue. If the pattern is poor from a low quality housing brighter bulb is just going to make a brighter poor pattern still. It was a another old time member here that made the comment about optics and I admit I ignored him but now after seeing excellent optics just nothing comes close. 

Like for years I ran seal beam tractor lights that were 100w bulbs halogen but again the optics got poor and the life span was getting shorter and the bulb price was getting higher. Two bulbs on lo beam and two bulbs on hi beam. Was again a OK solution but pattern and optics were say average. The old system with high quality SilverStar halogen bulbs and tractor bulbs was huge electrical draw worse with Sport headlights. 45w (90w pair) on lo beam and 65w (130w pair) on hi beam. Then two 100w (200w pair) tractor lights. Total was 290w (22.3 Amps) this was on low beam, then 330w (27.5 Amps) on hi beam. 

Here was the Sport Headlight and my old school tractor lights. 

DSCF3951.JPG

Now with the current setup Morimoto D2S HID's and 530 PIAA LED driving lights. High and low beam use the same bulb and use a shutter to create hi/lo beam. Hi and Lo Beams now are Morimoto HID's are 35w and the PIAAs are 18w. Double both for a total of 106w (8.8 Amps) which this is a 312% saving of power and reduction of load on the alternator. More light, less drag.

You can see the hot spot of the PIAAs but the light span is the Morimoto's...

morimoto low.jpg

Here is hi beam... You can see the arc in the center this grows quite large with distance. 

morimoto high.jpg

Hey Mopar you don’t happen to have a shot of the Morimotos in the day looking at the pickup like your sport headlight pic? Curious how they’d look with the old man vibe of my tan and silver rig. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just had sylvain silver star burn out. Replaced with a pair of zxe sylvania. Just barely noticably brighter than the silver stars. These are 9004 bulbs.

I dont know that I need anymore light than this. My old lenses need replaced. I keep polishing and it gets grunchy fast

20191103_221748.jpg

Honestly something keeps popping up that needs a couple hundred bucks more than headlights.

My broke jetta has the 9007 bulbs so all I have to buy are the sport lights and toss bulbs in.

Debating on doing my own relay wiring or buy a bright box to run all 4blbs on high.

Or not even run high beams I rarely do anyways but might if I could run all 4.

Electrical scares me.

What's it cost if a guy was ballsey enough to the hid headlight build himself.?

I'm sure if I read this thread someone says 

Edited by Evan