• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Big Line Install

I’m sure this has been covered 100 times but is 18 ft/lbs the torque spec for the fittings (where the banjo bolts were) on a big line install?  This would be on the kit between the vp44 and fuel filter housing.  I’m guessing 18 ft/lbs on the adapter fittings (both on the vp44 and filter housing outlet) and hand tight on the 90* that screw onto them?

Thanks!!

• Staff

Mine would leak when new and just snugged, not tight. Then after tightening for 3 more tries it would not stop leaking. Dripley taught me to take it off and emery cloth the end and put back on. That stopped it. Thanks Dripley :linux: 

Edited by JAG1

This is a bit concerning given my bone stock system has never leaked a drop in 18 years.  Is it normal to retighten this kit after install or would some OEM seals work better than the provided ones?  I was looking to have a “plug and play” situation but it sounds like a “hold your tongue right and pray” :(.  Would cleaning the threads and the mounting spots help?  Maybe teflon tape the treads?  Free time is thin and fiddling with a new kit sounds aggravating when stock has served well for almost 20 years.  Maybe the banjo kit is better but I liked the benefits of a 1/2 line.....I dunno.....just not the comments (although greatly appreciated) I was expecting. :2cents:

• Staff

No, leaks are not common on a new kit. I am only trying to help ... we really don't want you to over tighten and damage something. Much better to emery cloth on the face of the fitting if you have tried tightening a couple times rather than risk striping the threads. Just go very easy with the wrench till you start up the engine and are able to check for leaks, then turn the ones that are weeping just a little more until it stops. Its not hard we are expressing the careful side of installing a big line kit. 

We all have a lot of respect for our engines and want to help you develop good practices that we all seem to share on this forum.

Edited by JAG1

@JAG1 I agree, better to be safe than sorry.  Do these kits generally stay dry after retightening (if needed) or is this something every 30-50k you have to retighten due to engine vibration?  I’m just used to going factory spec on installing things back, so a bit of new ground with this setup.   The fella at the local hose and fitting shop said the parker fuel hose would probably last longer than the OEM line when around road salt, but I like to wash that stuff off as quick as it gets on.  Quick side question, I know some folks have used the add-a-fuse to power the gauge, did anyone use a 1amp mini in the add-a-fuse or just used the supplied in-line fuse holder with the standard prong fuse?  Prob should list this on my other thread but the question just hit me.

• Like 1

• Owner

Remember there VP44 body and the fuel filter housing is aluminum and takes very little torque to ruin the threads. I've seen this happen where owner said it was weeping and tighten more and ruin the threads in the VP44. He had already torqued it enough to tear up the rubber seal washer. 

If it was all steel parts different story. Steel fitting in a aluminum body don't take that much. 

• Staff

The Vulcan big line kit does not have a hard 90 going into the VP. It is a long sweep 90 which helps not restrict the flow. Vulcan stuff is the best and best price too. Eric is good man..... no hard 90s at all as matter of fact. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

The Vulcan big line kit does not have a hard 90 going into the VP. It is a long sweep 90 which helps not restrict the flow. Vulcan stuff is the best and best price too. Eric is good man..... no hard 90s at all as matter of fact. :)

I got mine from Vulcan with the same tapped 90 as in the above picture. As I remember it was an option. It still flows more fuel than the banjo bolt.

• Staff

I went to Erics' house to get my big line kits for each truck, about 9 yrs apart and he acted like the longer sweeps were standard equipment with his kits. I like his operation and his manners. It's just too bad that some bad customers threw a monkey wrench into his business. He is trying to not let it get the best of him is what he explained to me.

All I could say was in spite of it all, keep the faith.:thumb1:

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

I made the trip in early morning snow once. It was amazing how little traffic there was going thru Vancouver and Portland, oregon. That was a cool ride just like the old days when hardly anyone around back in the 70's

I think Mopar Man made that bracket himself.