• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bed cap rails

Thinking I want to get rid of my plastic bed liner which has rubbed paint, etc and get a set of cap rails and either do a diy or some other type of bed liner.  Anybody purchased cap rails recently and have an opinion of them?  What cap rails are on your truck and if you can post a pic how far do they wrap over (thinking about covering rubbed paint).  Also any opinions on DIY spary in bed liners?  

I had alum cap rails, bolted down 3 bolts each side.  They rubbed top of bed no matter what.  Just driving gets vibration.  

When I went to spray on bed liner I  had them come over the sides a bit.  Reason was my 84 ford... anything, hose, cord etc left a mark on top of bed.  I like over the over the side a bit.  

Finding who you want to turn loose spraying is a different subject.  Imo all products are good...in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing

20190913_115529.jpg

Edited by 015point9
  • Like 1

• Staff

I think the spray on bed liner that's used in California is not the same as what's used in the other states; it has to be CARB approved.  My friend worked at a place that puts large utility boxes on trucks like a Freightliner to make them into heavy equipment field service trucks.  All the spray on liner they used was smuggled in the empty utility beds that came from out of state.   Today I was at a roofing supply store and inquired about a product.  I was told can't get it here, "not CARB approved". 

• Sad 1

From the outside looking in it seems like living in California is slightly better than living in a prison.  Just an observation since I don't have experience with either one.

Spray in bedliner over the rails is the best choice by far...considering that you can smuggle it in and get it applied without becoming a felon.  I'm not aware of the length of jail time given for an illegal bedliner so you'll have to investigate that and see if it's worth taking the risk.  :duh:

Edited by Bullet
  • Haha 3

I don't want spray on cap rails even if I do spray in bedliner, I like the look better of a cap rail. I think I would prefer either a smooth SS, or a diamond plate aluminum.  At this point I am not worried about the paint, as the paint is already bad. I like the look better of the cap rail on top of the bed, and a tool box on top of the cap rail.. 

You will definitely have rubbing problems from vibration.  If you already have paint issues there they will get worse.  The best thing to do would be to spray on bedliner on the bed rails and then come over the top of it with your diamond plate rails.  You will not have any rubbing/paint/corrosion problems that way. 

• Like 1