• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What do I tell this guy?

Sycostang67

So my friends son who does pipe lining work out east finally moved on from his 6.0 silverado which had been hacked on by just about every middle of nowhere "mechanic" and bought himself a 2018 Ram 3500 with the 6.7.  I don't know much about this truck yet, will probably be a few months before I see it but I know he will be asking me for help with it eventually.  I plan on talking to him soon, I was wondering if there was anything I should warn him about to get done or watch out for.  This truck is going to get used and abused, his chevy can no longer be properly aligned due to some of his work related off road excursions.   Is there anything you would suggest running in the fuel as I have a feeling he may be fueling up at out of the way places and dirty fuel could be a concern.  I'd like to help him make this truck last, especially since he got a diesel at my suggestion. 

Yeah could just be doomed in the right hands.

Don't put DEF in the fuel tank!!!!

Lot of folks use tow haul and exhaust brake all the time.

Follow the maintenance schedules.

Rotate the tires. Can do the custom tire pressure monitor deal if he is going to run a lower psi unloaded.

Fluid film for the frame often, wash off the salt often, turn the hose in towards the fender wells and rear bumper get the hard to reach areas.

Not sure if the 3500"s have the front sway bar links but '18 mine rusted first. Spray those up with some fluid film or the wool wax stuff.

Not sure on interior but I have the rubber mat and work vinyl, you can pretty much keep that pretty nice.

There is a steering link recall, some shops do a bad job welding that up, sometimes you can tighten and mark it and check it, sounds like he should get that done properly.

Hope he enjoys the truck. They are pretty nice rides in almost every trim level.

He had no problem throwing money at the last truck, he just couldn't keep up with the repairs caused by repairs from other shops.  He tried to get after market headlights and the shop used a soldering iron to enlarge the bulb opening and hot glue to hold it in.  :cookoo:  I'll pass along the info as soon as I talk to him, thanks.

• Staff

Since it’s a 3500 he won’t have to worry about TPMS at lower tire pressure, since 3500’s have TPIS. 

I only occasionally add fuel additives to my 18. 99% of users don’t, and premature failure isn’t running rampant. 

I use the EB as often as possible, but only use TH when towing. It’s not as nice driving when empty. It also eats more fuel around town. 

DEF doesn’t last as long above 90°F, so I recommend running the truck on the bottom half of the tank in the summer. Add either a 2.5 gallon box, or pump 2 gallons at a truck stop, when the low DEF light comes on. 

I need to look into that fluid film, but we’re lucky here in Boise and don’t have much corrosion. I couldn’t believe how much older dads 06 looked than my 05 just from being in Seattle vs Boise. The 05 looked new still. 

Only use OEM fuel filters, ONLY! 

Which trans did he get? 

A 3” softer ride suspension and some 35’s might do wonders as well, for truck and driver, if he doesn’t tow heavy. 

Not sure which transmission he got, he doesn't know enough about trucks to be able to tell me.  It's already lifted though looks to be in the 4-6" range with at least 35's on it.  It has steel bumpers and a custom hood as well.  He says it's not deleted or tuned but he want's to get it done eventually. He wanted to know the ball park cost of that but I have no idea.